We need backups!

We need backups!

We all love Evernote. I do - and i'm just a beginner. Just started a month ago with my paperless life and enjoying it. My ScanSnap iX500 does a great job (after disabling Appnap in the software on Mavericks). Still I have to get rid of typical paper habits. In a classical paper administration everything has a order and a place. The Evernote way is searching to create the view you want for just that moment. It works and it is better most of the time but it still feels a bit counter intuitive. So far about the passion we all share. Now some hopefully productive feedback.

I'm a cloud fan. I backup my software via Arq to Amazon's Storage service. With 1Password I have secure passwords for every account. If I can use the cloud I probably will. But, the cloud can fail. A company can go out of business - or - the company can ***** up his storage platform and lose data. The Evernote client is not the most stable piece of software ever made, it could fail and destroy data.

And, I can fail too! I can delete a notebook that was not suppose to be deleted. I can select notes and make an error. 

All of this should not be a big drama if I can make backups of my Evernote notes. 

Evernote should really make it possible to access my Evernote data in an easy way. Create daily snapshots server side and make it possible for my client to download them. I can then push them to Amazon or another backup service. It is really weird and a big problem that there is no easy way to backup my data.

Yes. I know you can export notes in the client. But this is not something I can't automate easy. I don't want to weekly manually export notes. I want to be able to access a snapshot of my notes automatically. 

If I can change one thing to Evernote it would be this.

If you agree with me please let we make sure Evernote knows we want this problem solved! 

Bram

We need backups!We all love Evernote. I do - and i'm just a beginner. Just started a month ago with my paperless life and enjoying it. My ScanSnap iX500 does a great job (after disabling Appnap in the software on Mavericks). Still I have to get rid of typical paper habits. In a classical paper administration everything has a order and a place. The Evernote way is searching to create the view you want for just that moment. It works and it is better most of the time but it still feels a bit counter intuitive. So far about the passion we all share. Now some hopefully productive feedback.I'm a cloud fan. I backup my software via Arq to Amazon's Storage service. With 1Password I have secure passwords for every account. If I can use the cloud I probably will. But, the cloud can fail. A company can go out of business - or - the company can ***** up his storage platform and lose data. The Evernote client is not the most stable piece of software ever made, it could fail and destroy data.And, I can fail too! I can delete a notebook that was not suppose to be deleted. I can select notes and make an error. All of this should not be a big drama if I can make backups of my Evernote notes. Evernote should really make it possible to access my Evernote data in an easy way. Create daily snapshots server side and make it possible for my client to download them. I can then push them to Amazon or another backup service. It is really weird and a big problem that there is no easy way to backup my data.

Yes. I know you can export notes in the client. But this is not something I can't automate easy. I don't want to weekly manually export notes. I want to be able to access a snapshot of my notes automatically. If I can change one thing to Evernote it would be this.

If you agree with me please let we make sure Evernote knows we want this problem solved!

Bram

Backup has been discussed on the board a lot, already. Exporting notes is not the same as a backup. Please search the board on backup/restore. Backups can only be done on a Mac or Windows client. Also, please search the board on note history, which is taken once about every 8 hours & is a premium account feature.

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

On the Mac, plug in an external hard drive, follow the prompts to set up Time Machine, and you are backed up. It takes about a minute to set up. There are similar backup applications available for Windows.

I have hourly backups each day, and a backup for most days stretching back years, so I can visit any point in time and recover my database. I have copies of all my data stored in separate physical locations. You don't get much more backed up than that, and the best thing about it is that it isn't only Evernote, but everything that gets backed up. Purchase a fancy wifi connected drive and it'll backup without even needing to plug it in.

There is more to say, but as BNF said, there are several threads about it on the forums. I don't think there is anything more that Evernote needs to do.

• Level 5*

It's a computing basic that if you have any information on your device that you'd like to keep - and that means anything at all - then you should be taking regular backups.  It's asking for trouble (or at least some serious inconvenience) not to do so.  Very few (if any) applications offer frequent backups of data stored in the cloud,  unless you're willing to pay for the extra processing and storage overheads that requires.  I don't expect Evernote to add extra features to protect me against the occasions when I might ask it to do something perfectly routine that trashes something I didn't mean to trash.  I also don't want a series of "are you sure?",  "Are you *really* sure??" warnings delaying actions along the way.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

On the Mac, plug in an external hard drive, follow the prompts to set up Time Machine, and you are backed up. It takes about a minute to set up. There are similar backup applications available for Windows.

I have hourly backups each day, and a backup for most days stretching back years, so I can visit any point in time and recover my database. I have copies of all my data stored in separate physical locations. You don't get much more backed up than that, and the best thing about it is that it isn't only Evernote, but everything that gets backed up. Purchase a fancy wifi connected drive and it'll backup without even needing to plug it in.

There is more to say, but as BNF said, there are several threads about it on the forums. I don't think there is anything more that Evernote needs to do.

Thanks you for your reply. Please tell me how you recover your Evernote notes from you Timemachine backup if Evernote cloud service fails. It is not very clear how, where and when your notes are on your local computer.

It's a computing basic that if you have any information on your device that you'd like to keep - and that means anything at all - then you should be taking regular backups.  It's asking for trouble (or at least some serious inconvenience) not to do so.  Very few (if any) applications offer frequent backups of data stored in the cloud,  unless you're willing to pay for the extra processing and storage overheads that requires.  I don't expect Evernote to add extra features to protect me against the occasions when I might ask it to do something perfectly routine that trashes something I didn't mean to trash.  I also don't want a series of "are you sure?",  "Are you *really* sure??" warnings delaying actions along the way.

The server side backup suggestion I made was an option.  I would like to pay for that. Cloudhq.com has a commercial solution. But $10 a month. Meh. I think it is normal for a cloud service to offer a solution to your paying customer to make it possible to backup the data.

Evernote could also make a feature in the client to export all data to a big zip file every 24 hours.

I did not ask for the extra features you talk about preventing me from deleting notes.

All I want is a automated way of making backup my Evernote data an option. And your solution does not work if you are unable to tell me how I can access the data after backup it up. You have to test your backups. You must have a restore plan.

Regards,

Bram

Thanks you for your reply. Please tell me how you recover your Evernote notes from you Timemachine backup if Evernote cloud service fails. It is not very clear how, where and when your notes are on your local computer.

The server side backup suggestion I made was an option. I would like to pay for that. Cloudhq.com has a commercial solution. But $10 a month. Meh. I think it is normal for a cloud service to offer a solution to your paying customer to make it possible to backup the data.

Evernote could also make a feature in the client to export all data to a big zip file every 24 hours.

I did not ask for the extra features you talk about preventing me from deleting notes.

All I want is a automated way of making backup my Evernote data an option. And your solution does not work if you are unable to tell me how I can access the data after backup it up. You have to test your backups. You must have a restore plan.

Regards,

Bram

As we mentioned , this has been discussed. Did you search the board & read some of the existing threads on backup/restore & Time Machine?

• Level 5*

This has been mentioned in here many many times:

If you downloaded directly it's in user/library/application support/evernote

If you downloaded from the app store it's here ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

And, if you have an iMac with a fusion drive, it might be here

/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/account/<your username>/  

Use time machine and you have your on site backups.

Use something like sugar sync or idrive or any other of the myriad of available options for offsite.

• 1 month later...

If you downloaded from the app store it's here ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/account/<your username>/  

Use something like sugar sync or idrive or any other of the myriad of available options for offsite.

While you have said this repeatedly, I do not find either of the evernote files you name on my Mac.  I have version 5.4.4.  Is that the app or the dmg version?  It appears to be the Mac application but the application support folder is not present.  Nor can I find the Containers folder etc.  I definitely want to backup independently of a whole system backup.

• Level 5*

While you have said this repeatedly, I do not find either of the evernote files you name on my Mac.  I have version 5.4.4.  Is that the app or the dmg version?  It appears to be the Mac application but the application support folder is not present.  Nor can I find the Containers folder etc.  I definitely want to backup independently of a whole system backup.

Could you send us screenshots of the locations?

Bram, with all due respect, but this is a user forum. You can't really expect other users to write up a how-to guide specifically for you, especially if the question has been answered many times in these forums, and you've already been advised on how to find those answers.

For your convenience, this is the first search result when searching the forums for "restore time machine":

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/21651-i-need-to-totally-restore-from-time-machine-how/?p=110320

• Level 5*

Bram, with all due respect, but this is a user forum. You can't really expect other users to write up a how-to guide specifically for you, especially if the question has been answered many times in these forums, and you've already been advised on how to find those answers.

For your convenience, this is the first search result when searching the forums for "restore time machine":

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/21651-i-need-to-totally-restore-from-time-machine-how/?p=110320

Thanks for finding that link. I think Bram might not be in the thread anymore (it has been about a month since he last posted). However, for future visitors to this thread, the Evernote locations are here--start from "Users" and you will find your files.

Direct download from Evernote

Users/Your Username Here/Library/Application Support/Evernote

Appstore download from Apple

Users/Your Username Here/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

Appstore download on Mac with a fusion drive

Users/Your Username Here/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/account/

And, for backups (as well as advice on changing from the appstore to the direct download version), see this page:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

OK, the info from GrumpyMonkey yesterday is just not accurate for MBA running OS X 10.9.1.  I will try to attach a view of my directories.  There is no directory under Users/YourUserNameHere/Library.  Instead Library is at the same level as Users.  Library/Application Support does not have a Containers directory.  Umm cannot see how to attach a pdf capture.

• Level 5*

OK, the info from GrumpyMonkey yesterday is just not accurate for MBA running OS X 10.9.1.  I will try to attach a view of my directories.  There is no directory under Users/YourUserNameHere/Library.  Instead Library is at the same level as Users.  Library/Application Support does not have a Containers directory.  Umm cannot see how to attach a pdf capture.

I'm pretty sure that Grumpy Monkey provided accurate information :) See the screenshot and instructions at this link below:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/9fad0837-0cb4-4cd4-bfe4-5409dd632127/f5a70bbcd598bd2810ac4b388944f660

The files are in Japanese, but it should look roughly similar in terms of layout. Do not go to the Library at the same level as the User. That will get you nowhere (in my experience). Follow my instructions and you'll find Evernote's database. Good luck and Happy New Year!

I'm pretty sure that Grumpy Monkey provided accurate information :) See the screenshot and instructions at this link below:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/9fad0837-0cb4-4cd4-bfe4-5409dd632127/f5a70bbcd598bd2810ac4b388944f660

The files are in Japanese, but it should look roughly similar in terms of layout. Do not go to the Library at the same level as the User. That will get you nowhere (in my experience). Follow my instructions and you'll find Evernote's database. Good luck and Happy New Year!

What are we miscommunicating? The folders under User/yourusernamehere/ do not include Library nor Containers.  

• Level 5*

What are we miscommunicating? The folders under User/yourusernamehere/ do not include Library nor Containers.

Hi. Did you see #1 in the note link?

1. Apple hides your library, so your first step should be to open Terminal and paste in this command: chflags nohidden ~/Library/

1. Apple hides your library, so your first step should be to open Terminal and paste in this command: chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Yep, it is there.  TY for Terminal command!

• Level 5*

Yep, it is there.  TY for Terminal command!

Glad I could help, and I'll make sure to put up some screenshots on my blog post for people so that it is easier to follow. I have to say that Apple doesn't make this easy on us!

• Level 5*

I use Crashplan, www.crashplan.com, to backup my PC. Crashplan automatically backs up my Evernote database every 8 hours. 

Granted, that's not an Evernote feature, but if you use an backup service, just add the folder where your Evernote database is located.

I don't use Crashplan myself (I prefer Time Machine on the Mac), but my understanding is that you can make more frequent backups. Also, Crashplan has version histories, which is handy if something goes wrong.

• 4 months later...

I know i'm a latecomer.

I followed the instructions: used Terminal to reveal the Library and Application Support. Evernote is nowhere to be found under "Application Support", even though it's installed and I use it on a daily basis.

I'm running the latest version of Mavericks.

Any other hidden things I need to reveal to find where that elusive Evernote data is?

Thanks,

Ken

post-67549-0-86120100-1401135506_thumb.p

• Level 5*

I know i'm a latecomer.

I followed the instructions: used Terminal to reveal the Library and Application Support. Evernote is nowhere to be found under "Application Support", even though it's installed and I use it on a daily basis.

I'm running the latest version of Mavericks.

Any other hidden things I need to reveal to find where that elusive Evernote data is?

Thanks,

Ken

Hi. It is probably an Appstore installation. Check out these three locations.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

• 2 months later...

Hi all I have also been agonizing about this, we use evernote business for ALL financial receipts etc..., I use Spannig to back up all my employees data (google apps) but have not found a decent solution for Evernote, Cloud HQ format is far from ideal...

I just had a brain wave which I will try when I am back from my travels and that is to move the location of my EN Database to Google Drive!!! :-) then point my laptop to look there as well.

Unless I am missing something this would automatically back up my full DB (spanning will also then back up my drive) and the best part is that the full notes and structures with tags is restore able... 

Thoughts? Loop holes? or thumbs up? 

• Level 5*

Hi all I have also been agonizing about this, we use evernote business for ALL financial receipts etc..., I use Spannig to back up all my employees data (google apps) but have not found a decent solution for Evernote, Cloud HQ format is far from ideal...

I just had a brain wave which I will try when I am back from my travels and that is to move the location of my EN Database to Google Drive!!! :-) then point my laptop to look there as well.

Unless I am missing something this would automatically back up my full DB (spanning will also then back up my drive) and the best part is that the full notes and structures with tags is restore able... 

Sounds like a problem if you are on Mac, because it needs to have everything in the designated location. Why not just point your backup service (SpiderOak, SugarSync, etc.) to the database? Or, just plug in an external drive and backup using TimeMachine?

Well to have 2 Evernote clients work on the same Evernote filesystem sounds like a very bad idea. But as a backup solution it could work. I don't know how well built the Google Drive client is but perhaps it could slow down the client.

Well to have 2 Evernote clients work on the same Evernote filesystem sounds like a very bad idea. But as a backup solution it could work. I don't know how well built the Google Drive client is but perhaps it could slow down the client.

Good point I may need a DB folder just for the 1 machine, google drive folder is local so should be the same as any other... I will test on Friday

• 5 months later...
Posted · Hidden by GrumpyMonkey, January 28, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by GrumpyMonkey, January 28, 2015 - No reason given

I personally would suggest you to try Ahsay Software. Ahsay Backup Software provides you with a web based centralized management console for managing the whole backup system and all backup users. It enables system administrators to create users, monitor all backup and restore jobs, keep track of system performance and healthiness, verify backup data integrity, manage group policies, etc. anytime and anywhere through any common web browsers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Did anyone test out moving the local Windows EN database location to a local (and Google-sync'd) Google Drive folder location? This seems like a great idea to insure that there's an "automatic" backup of the DB in a third-party location. 

Thanks!

-jeff

Archived