(Archived) Cannot Access Notebooks From My Blackberry

Hello:

I have a Blackberry Curve 8320 running the Blackberry OS 4.5+.

I've been having some issues with Evernote. I'm also a Mac user, and while my notes are somehow not showing up in Firefox 3.0.6 (errors there), they are displaying in Safari 3.1. I'm not so much worried about that, at the moment.

My issue is that though I'm able to log on Evernote Mobile Web with my device, none of the links seem to be active whenever I click on them. Further, I have some message saying that Notes cannot be found.

If I can please be advised as to how to proceed, I'd appreciate the assistance. Thanks a lot.

Velanche

I too am having major issues with my BB viewing. A few days ago it was working like a charm, just like it shows on the website what mobile viewing would be like. Now I go online with my BB to the website and it's all jacked up. I can't use a single feature of EN on my BB and that was a huge selling factor to me. I have been looking for an app like this for a very long time. ***** part is now that I find it its not going to work 1 week after I plunked down my $$$.

Little pissed, I sent off a email on Monday and no response.

I have the same problem. Worked like a charm before and now I can't get it on my standard BB browser or the Opera mini browser on my bberry. Javascript is enabled. Is anyone with a blackberry able to access Evernote? I'd be interested in what type of browser settings you are using. Is anyone from Evernote monitoring this forum? Would be very helpful to at least know they are aware of it. thanks.

I haven't been going to the mobile version like I used to. I posted my grumpy dissatisfaction already.

Just tried accessing web version on my BB Bold, and it came up OK. This was at 11:05 AM Wed Mar 25, Central US time.

Browser Configuration:

Support JS - checked

Allow JS popups - UNchecked

Terminate slow scripts - checked

Use Background Images - checked

Support Embedded Media - checked

Show Images: On WML & HTML pages

Browser ID: BlackBerry

I can't access EN Mobile from my BB. I have the same browser settings that are posted above as working, except I have background images unchecked. When I log in, I see a long menu list and then a bunch of forms, including a search form, and edit form, and a quick text form, all on the same page. But no notes. When I search, nothing happens.

Hello Ken:

I've confirmed the settings you've listed. I'm able to log on to evernote.com/m, but still the links are inactive (even though they are displayed) and the end of the page says "You currentlly have no notes." Also, The drop down next to Notebook is inactive.

FYI...

V.

On the Evernote podcast, the CEO let out that a Blackberry native client will be coming out "shortly." They are working on apps for other native mobile devices, but Evernote has apparently received tons of request for a BB app so the quote may have some weight.

RE: a Blackberry client... I cringe saying this, but I'd actually prefer to wait and have them get it right than deal with a crappy BB client. Of course, there will be vocal complaints no matter what they release - but at this point, I want something pretty nice. :D

I still with they would have pursued a BB client that was text-only and utilized the native Memo app - maybe called it "BB Client Lite" - I would *LOVE* a solution like that. Even just a text-only solution (without the Memo component) would be great for me. But I suspect that isn't the direction EN is going.

Anyway, WRT the mobile issue... I am using: evernote.com/mobile, which then redirects to evernote.com/mobile/MobileSetup.action. Redirect happens if using just the /m too.

I wonder if you tried just going directly to evernote.com/mobile/MobileSetup.action ? It shouldn't matter, but it's possibly there is an issue happening with the redirect. Not very likely, though...

When you hit the mobile page, do you get the "Scripts running" message along the bottom of the screen? Do you see the twirly thing spinning clockwise near the top left? (twirly thing = technical jargon)

I received a reply from Evernote Tech Support regarding the issue, and it seems to be affecting users of BB OS 4.5+. In this version, Javascript is turned off by default. It may or may not work once Javascript in turned on in the Browser Configuration settings. Until the problem is fixed (and/or until the Blackberry app is released), it's been suggested that you might want to install a third-party browser such as Bolt or Opera Mini.

That's all I have, for now; hope it helps!

V.

On my BB Bold, I can only log in using Opera and even then, only when I use the Insecure Login. That's a real bummer. When I try to use the Secure Login, I get an "Unable to Complete a Secure Transaction."

It's tough to be without Evernote on my BB!

I downloaded and installed Bolt last night. Pretty slick. Their server-side processing means waiting for a page is a small delay, then BAM the whole thing loads (rather than the more traditional drawing the page as it gets loaded).

The interface is a little bit clunky - definitely feels like a Java app - but Bolt is pretty nice. And EN mobile works well on it. For that matter, you can pull up the main Evernote site and work with that pretty easily using Bolt. In fact, I bet some people would prefer the full site over the mobile one using Bolt because you get access to the standard interface (tags, attributes, saved searches, etc. all easily accessible on the left).

I'm on a BB Bold (9000). For me it didn't work at all until I enabled javascript (I usually have it turned off). Once turned on, the main note listing page looks good, but clicking onto an entry I just get the green banner in massive size, and the whirling "waiting" symbol, and nothing more.

Mike

Could you try again today? We updated the service code last night, which should improve the experience on various mobile phones.

If you're still seeing issues today, let us know your phone model and whether or not you have Javascript enabled.

Thanks

Looks better, but two problems for me (the second more serious than the first):

(1) I don't like having javascript enabled by default. I guess if I want to browse evernote I'll just have to leave it on, or switch on every time I want to browse evernote.

(2) pressing the "back" button in the BB browser would normally take you back to the page you were on before, and that is what the user would expect. So when in a note, pressing back would take you back to the main list. However, pressing back actually takes you back to the login page. This isn't good for ease of navigation.

Mind you, once the BB native evernote application is released.... :-)

I'm on BB Bold (9000).

Mike

Dave, thanks so much, I was able to access it immediately on my standard Blackberry browser and Opera Mini. I had downloaded Bolt and it worked, but it's much easier on the basic Blackberry browser. I only entered a quick note so I haven't tried uploading images, etc, but just being able to put a note on quickly is fantastic. Many times my cell phone IS my computer so being able to access EN from the BB is critical. For what it's worth, I'm on a BB Curve 8310 on AT&T's network. Cheers, thanks again.

The clipping in question was actually a test clipping I took (and forgot to delete) when testing the new web clipper. It was a clipping of the entire page (not a selection from): http://www.bbc.co.uk/

I just tried clipping again from the above page, but this time using the OLD clipper (the one automatically installed into IE when installing evernote), and the page displayed on BB fine, across whole width. Not sure if it was the new vs old clipper that changed it, or something funny on the page when I first clipped it.

Mike

And related to the user experience issue I mentioned before, when one refreshes the page when already browsed into a note, one would expect that note to refresh, but instead it takes you back to the main list page (presumably, refreshed).

Mike

On my BB Curve 8320 (T-Mobile) running OS 4.5+, and in the BB browser I'm seeing Recent Notes viewed 10 at a time, which is a good start. I also see a Search field at the top and Quick Note, Settings and Sign Out links at the bottom.

That's all I see at the moment. I don't see my Notebooks displayed here, but I gather it's a work-in-progress.

Looking forward toward any improvements on this, but again a good first step.

Thanks!

On the mobile, we don't break down your notes by notebook due to the limited space available on a mobile UI, but you can type the name of the notebook in as part of the search, and it should filter down based on that name.

I can appreciate the space limitation for the UI. The issue I see, though, is that as I accumulate notes, that the current way that the UI is set up can only list the most recent notes first regardless of which notebook that each note belongs to. Right now, I have 30 notes. But after 50, 75 or even 100 notes, the fact that the only sort criteria is by recent order 10 at a time can get a bit laborious on a mobile device, especially when one wants to quickly access specific notes. Also, trying to remember the exact names of each note can end up being a bit taxing.

I'm unsure if what I'm thinking can get around the space limitations on a mobile device, but perhaps if there could be, in addition to the search field, a drop-down list, or perhaps (even better) underneath the Search field can list the name of the Notebooks 10 at a time, then clicking on a Notebook would list the notes for that Notebook, again 10 at a time. This way, there's a sense of order and structure inasmuch as a mobile UI requiring limited space can hold. I'm not programmer, and I'm not sure how much space such a scenario would actually take on a device. I'm just throwing it out there.

I hope this suggestion helps.

Velanche

Thanks for the suggestions! The newer blackberries have more resolution with which to play, but in general we're designing for a consistent user experience, and that unfortunately means that we are space limited.

Archived