Not Very Happy Right Now

allendick

Happy that Evernote has been working flawlessly for quite a while and the growing pains seem to be gone.

However, today I could not find a note and I found that EN had added a conflicted folder and had moved a copy of the note into it on each of two machines. It seems that somehow I had conflicted copies. Of course my first reaction was to look for a 'note comparison' function to determine any differences.

I found none, so I moved the notes back into the proper notebook and merged them, intending to check for differences manually.

For neatness, I then deleted the now-empty "conflicted" notebook, emptied the trash, and went to the proper notebook to edit the combined note.

It was gone.

No worries, I thought, I have a subscription, so there should be a backup.

Apparently not. There are backups for non-deleted notes, but if there are backups for deleted notes, I cannot find it.

Shouldn't there be?

A search through the knowledge base and the forum, I saw nothing.

• Level 5

Everyone should have a backup system. The information in Evernote gets more valuable the longer you use it.

I manually back up Evernote regularly, as well as before every upgrade, and let Carbonite do the automatic daily backups.

In Windows, it is so easy to backup.

>Tools

>Options

- Open Database Folder

If you have local non-sync'd notebooks, those have to be backed up separately.

Right click on the notebook name, and select Export (.enex format)

Long shot, but the Evernote Support might be able to help.

Thanks. I actually just installed on a new computer and becasue I pay for data, I simply copied the database across to the new machine to save a big download, so I understand that.

I also have a local backup, BUT, who wants to do all that for one note that should never have disppeared in the first place?

After all, it was not even in the notebook I deleted! I had moved it out!

The note was a 'to do' list, and I'm half-glad that it is gone and I can't remember half the chores I have been saving up.

Should I start a new list, headed by "spend an hour recovering the 'to do' list and another hour fixing the mistakes that happen in the process?"

My point, I guess, is that I was beginning to trust EN again, and it threw me a curve.

I KNOW the note was no longer in the notebook I deleted ans was shown as being in the proper notebook.

No worries, I thought, I have a subscription, so there should be a backup.

Note history is taken once about every eight hours.

There are backups for non-deleted notes, but if there are backups for deleted notes, I cannot find it.

Shouldn't there be?

If a note is deleted, it goes into the trash. The trash is only emptied when you manually do so, which is what you did.

Explanation of conflicting notes is here.

Thanks, folks,

I don't know what happened, but the merged and disappeared note appeared again, just like magic!

It is where it should be and looks the way it looked when it disappeared.

It definitely had disappeared, but it is back.

In the meantime, I was out and I created a new note on my phone while out.

hen I returned a while later, I was puzzled that it did not appear on my notebook machine when I looked, but now it is here -- and so is the missing note.

Mysteries!

Thanks, folks,

I don't know what happened, but the merged and disappeared note appeared again, just like magic!

It is where it should be and looks the way it looked when it disappeared.

It definitely had disappeared, but it is back.

In the meantime, I was out and I created a new note on my phone while out.

hen I returned a while later, I was puzzled that it did not appear on my notebook machine when I looked, but now it is here -- and so is the missing note.

Mysteries!

This, along with the conflicting notes you had before, indicate to me that you're not taking care to make sure any changes are sync'd up to the EN servers and then sync'd down when you go to another device/computer.

I have the sync set to 15 minutes on my notebooks (EN starts with the GUI) and have no idea how the mobile version works.

It sure does not seem to work the way I would expect any time I have used it. I don't use it much.

When I noticed the note had disappeared, I turned off sync on the notebook and checked the web, but it appeared that the note was gone there, too.

I have the sync set to 15 minutes on my notebooks (EN starts with the GUI) and have no idea how the mobile version works.

It sure does not seem to work the way I would expect any time I have used it. I don't use it much.

When I noticed the note had disappeared, I turned off sync on the notebook and checked the web, but it appeared that the note was gone there, too.

It's very simple. The EN servers (IE web client) are the "source of all truths." Any changes made on one device need to be sync'd up to the EN servers before those changes are accessible from the web client or any other device/computer. If you make any changes with the web client, you are changing the EN servers directly, so no sync (up) is involved. Any changes made to the EN servers need to be sync'd down to any other computer/device before they are accessible from that device/computer.

If you create/modify a note on a desktop/laptop & then shut down w/o it getting sync'd to the EN servers, that note will not show up on the web client or be sync'd down to any other devices/computers UNTIL, you then start up the desktop/laptop & have EN running long enough to do an auto sync or you force a sync. The best way around this is to manually sync the laptop/desktop if you're going to be using another computer/device before the next auto sync or are shutting that computer down/hibernating/etc.

I don't know about all mobile clients, but AFAIK, the iPhone client only syncs when you first start the program or make a change/add a note. (It tells you it's sync'ing.) So if you make a change on a desktop but it's not sync'd to the EN servers yet, then start the iPhone client, the desktop changes will not sync down to the iPhone. If you remain in the iPhone client while the desktop sync's the changes up, you would need to manually sync the iPhone client to get the changes down to the iPhone.

• 11 months later...

clearly someone who knows their syncing. er, how does one sync up or down? this is all a bit circumvoluted.

If you manually hit sync you'll be on your way. On the Windows and Mac client, there's a sync button on top. On iOS I belive it is under settings. It also syncs automatically when it detects a change and you have connectivity

• 4 months later...

I made massive changes on my laptop instance of EN to an important note. My synch settings are [synchronize changes on exit] and [synchronize automatically] every 15 minutes.

Two days later, I opened the note on my iPad, and found only the OLD version. I hit "SYNCH" on the iPad and nothing happened. I got worried.

I went back to my laptop and opened the note. All the changes were still there, so I was happy. I hit "SYNCH".

Then the OLD note appeared...ALL MY CHANGES (hours of work and original thought) WERE GONE!

This is a terrible synchronization system with EN. I just paid for the premium version (after the fact), and am hoping to have access to old versions, but I am concerned that the new changes on the laptop never got SYNCHED, even though I have settings set to [synch on exit] and [synch automatically]

Can anybody help me to recover the changes?

Hi Schnout,

You may have turned off the laptop before the sync had completed.

There is a minor danger that I have identified and feel this may have been your problem.

When you made the changes on the laptop, it may have tried to sync but had a problem. You will get an error message in the bottom right where you see a small window telling you how the sync is going. But the error message does not stay on screen for very long.

For some errors you can also see a small coloured mark (forget what it is now) attached to the sync button at the top of screen.

You might look at the log under Help and go back to the day and time that you carried out the changes. Have a look to see if there are any errors.

To retrieve the original data have a look for any conflict notebooks.

Best regards

Chris

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I made massive changes on my laptop instance of EN to an important note. My synch settings are [synchronize changes on exit] and [synchronize automatically] every 15 minutes.

Two days later, I opened the note on my iPad, and found only the OLD version. I hit "SYNCH" on the iPad and nothing happened. I got worried.

I went back to my laptop and opened the note. All the changes were still there, so I was happy. I hit "SYNCH".

Then the OLD note appeared...ALL MY CHANGES (hours of work and original thought) WERE GONE!

This is a terrible synchronization system with EN. I just paid for the premium version (after the fact), and am hoping to have access to old versions, but I am concerned that the new changes on the laptop never got SYNCHED, even though I have settings set to [synch on exit] and [synch automatically]

Can anybody help me to recover the changes?

This scenario is exactly why Lotus Notes coined the term RSC "Replication Save Conflicts".  See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29576-note-history-sync-implementation-is-poor-at-best/?p=163863

Evernote needs to address this on a design level - important changes should never, ever by overwritten by an automated process like sync.

• Level 5*

Dear John: Thanks for replying to a two year old post. I think that Schnout left the building some time ago, though; that was their only post.

For the record, the behavior described isn't by design, and if it happened as reported (which isn't always the case, or at least not the whole story), then that's a bug, which isn't a design problem, since a bug is a violation of design. For some time, the design has been to detect note conflicts, and maintain the conflicted note copies. That's still in effect, but the possibility for note conflicts occurring is somewhat lessened due to note locking facilities introduced into Evernote within the past year.

• 7 months later...

Archived