(Archived) REQUEST: Watched folders

jeff5656

Idea

22 replies to this idea

No, you don't.

Thank god for that. And because of that, you can tell me how to automatically import anything that goes into that folder right?

Remember, this was what this whole post about. HOW to do that in evernote on my Mac. All the other back and forth do not actually address how to do this (I guess because the mac doesn't support it - hence we ARE getting the short end of the stick by definition.)

Since developers do not respect the small community of mac users, we need to try to convince the evernote developers to work on the mac version occasionally. Bickering back and forth about how great your Mac is, will not do anything to get the developers to actually DO something with out little ol' mac version of evernote.

BTW I have the neat scanner on my mac so I REALLY need this work on my Mac like it does with my PC.

But circling back to your original post, sorry we don't have the auto-import feature you're looking for. If we did have it, how would you expect it to work? Something like each file gets attached to its own note, with the note name being the file name?

The windows version already features what we are looking forward... I so much miss being able to set up different auto-import profiles... please, put it on your user requests list!! :(

... we need to try to convince the evernote developers to work on the mac version occasionally.

We actually have a team on the Mac client full time. Internally, I believe the Mac client gets used more than the Windows, so it is never, ever forgotten about. Perhaps you'll take solace in the face that Mac got Audio Notes first and Windows is still playing catch up?

We try to keep feature parity amongst clients, but it is near impossible logistically. Also, we don't believe in just cloning across platforms, which is why we have native clients in the first place. Else we could just have an Adobe Air client and save some moolah.

This means things like OS X Lion and Windows 8 will pull our desktop clients in slightly different directions as we take advantage of what each platform offers us. It is a difficult balancing act.

But circling back to your original post, sorry we don't have the auto-import feature you're looking for. If we did have it, how would you expect it to work? Something like each file gets attached to its own note, with the note name being the file name?

• Level 5*
No, you don't.

Thank god for that. And because of that, you can tell me how to automatically import anything that goes into that folder right?

Remember, this was what this whole post about. HOW to do that in evernote on my Mac. All the other back and forth do not actually address how to do this (I guess because the mac doesn't support it - hence we ARE getting the short end of the stick by definition.)

Actually, I think that you opened the door on the other "back and forth".? You asked a valid question initially, and metrodon gave you a useful answer. But rather than follow up on that good advice (and to his credit, metrodon -- replete with the milk of human kindness as he is -- eventually did that for you), you came out with the reflexive complaint "poor, poor pitiful Macs", which I thought was unmerited (and I said so), and also which opened up the whole side thread on just how poor and pitiful Mac support is (or isn't).

Since developers do not respect the small community of mac users, we need to try to convince the evernote developers to work on the mac version occasionally. Bickering back and forth about how great your Mac is, will not do anything to get the developers to actually DO something with out little ol' mac version of evernote.

This is nonsensical. The Mac and Windows clients are substantially equivalent (exceptions are already noted in the thread).

BTW I have the neat scanner on my mac so I REALLY need this work on my Mac like it does with my PC.

And I really do hope that that can happen for you. BTW, you should have mentioned that in your previous postings; maybe someone can give you more specific advice in that area.

• Level 5*

A large chunk of the Evernote team use Macs so we hardly the poor cousins - lots of new functionality gets released on OS X first. There are a couple of small things that don't currently exist in the Mac version, but for most of them there are easy workarounds.

Here is one for your particular requirement - http://veritrope.com/tech/evernote-desktop-folder/

• Level 5*
As stated by jbenson2, there are a number of essential features in EN Win but not in EN Mac.

I acknowledged that what jbenson said was true, and situation was unfortunate, if you actually read what I wrote.

Of course, to people like Jeff who don't use a Mac this really doesn't matter.

As a point of fact, and even though I don't personally use a Mac, I actually do care that all Evernote clients work, and work well. So yes, it does matter to me.

• Level 5*

The thing is, as Mac users we are clearly far more advanced human beings than you poor Windoze souls and so we don't need as much help as you do.....

(runs quickly for the safety of the General forum).

• Level 5

I don't know why you try to turn nearly every post by one of the Evangelists into a conflict. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Or vice versa.

SO...to clarify, it's pretty evident that Jeff's response was to the post below & is completely on topic with it.

It is pretty evident that JMichael's response was to the posted subject & is completely on topic with it.

The issue is not which EN app a new feature is first released on. As long as apps in the same category (like desktop) both receive the same features within a reasonable amount of time I don't think you will hear many complaining.

As stated by jbenson2, there are a number of essential features in EN Win but not in EN Mac.

However, as far as I know, every feature available on the EN Mac is also available on EN Win.

I don't know why you try to turn nearly every post by one of the Evangelists into a conflict. But hey, whatever floats your boat. SO...to clarify, it's pretty evident that Jeff's response was to the post below & is completely on topic with it.

Wow - Us Mac users always get the short end of the stick. Oh well.

I guess I'm going to have to report you for stalking Jefito, now. :lol:

• Level 5*

The issue is not which EN app a new feature is first released on. As long as apps in the same category (like desktop) both receive the same features within a reasonable amount of time I don't think you will hear many complaining.

However, as far as I know, every feature available on the EN Mac is also available on EN Win.

• Level 5*

And yet, if I recall correctly, several major features (stacks? shared folder? I'd have to dig back to be sure.) debuted on the Mac first (and to be fair, they also came out on Windows). And as far as I can tell, Evernote has a far better scripting solution on the Mac. I'm sure that there are other benefits of using the Mac Evernote. I do think that it's unfortunate that a number of useful facilities like the ones you named haven't yet made it to MacEvernote yet, but I do I believe that it's not an "always" situation, and personally, I try to stay away from playing "it's just not fair" when the Mac client gets things first. If something is worth doing, then the "100 year company" will get to it eventually.

• Level 5

I don't have a Mac, but I have been surprised at the amount of stuff the Mac users can't access.

• The Import Folder is an important feature in Windows, but not the Mac.
    Assign Tags window (CTRL-ALT-T in EN Win) seems to be missing.
    Ditto for the F10 to toggle on and off the Left Panel.
    Ditto for the F11 to toggle on and off the Note List.
    Ditto for a Date/Time stamp.
    Probably others, these are a few that come to mind.

There are work-arounds using 3rd party software, and perhaps some of these items might be coming out later in the year.

Archived