Working offline without Network Connection

Working offline and/or explaining notes without network reception

Evernote takes a long time to understand that sometimes there is no internet/network reception and quickly jotting down thoughts (creating a new note) involves waiting time or is not possible at all.

I always switch to another simple note app to quickly write something when I'm offline...

What or how do you do that?
  • Like 1

Evernote desktop Windows app warned me today the upon every startup, an online connection is *required* to perform "optimization". This is quite contrary to the concept of working online and may force me to migrate to another solution.  Thanks for the Workflowy suggestion.

2 hours ago, torrmundi said:

Evernote desktop Windows app warned me today the upon every startup, an online connection is *required* to perform "optimization". This is quite contrary to the concept of working online and may force me to migrate to another solution.  Thanks for the Workflowy suggestion.

I don't get that on my windows client when starting up offline... maybe you just installed an update that requires a database refactoring or something? What version are you running?

2 hours ago, torrmundi said:

I got the same message some time ago. Be sure you have the connection next time you open the app, otherwise it will stall/not start.

The Evernote works offline though at the moment

• Level 5

For me the offline function is broken on several Macs.

Recent notes open, olders say they can only be opened when online again.

This is very annoying, it is a breach of an actively promoted feature, and EN has not done anything about it, even when myself (and probably others) have issued support tickets. For traveling folks like me, offline access is essential.

Workaround: Download all relevant notebooks on mobile. Downside: Restrictions of the mobile client applies, which means no multiple note operations. This means a note can be used, but no efficient tagging or moving of notes, and no note merge.

• Thanks 3
23 hours ago, clipnote said:
Working offline and/or explaining notes without network reception

Evernote takes a long time to understand that sometimes there is no internet/network reception and quickly jotting down thoughts (creating a new note) involves waiting time or is not possible at all.

I always switch to another simple note app to quickly write something when I'm offline...

What or how do you do that?

Workflowy is then considerable. What do you think ?

I live in a rural area, and recently my internet was down for 3 days. During that time, I found Evernote to be basically unusable. Even the list of all notes would not appear, no tag restricted list, only shortcuts to a single note (no saved searches or tag shortcuts worked). Search always failed regardless of grammar, although there was an unhelpful error message - something like "search error, try later". At one point I had to resort to using arrow keys to move through dozens of cards in a ghostly list (just grey rectangles instead of text) to find a note that was about a week old.

This is a far cry from the older version of Evernote that stored my notes locally with full functionality, then synced up when the internet came back on. I could understand if AI feature for search etc didn't work without internet, but just listing all the notes? This seems pretty outrageous to me! I have been disappointed with some of the changes since I was forced into the version 10 universe, but I didn't expect THIS level of non-functionality.

City folks may not be able to sympathize with this issue, but us old country computer hippies have to deal with this on a fairly regular basis, especially during the monsoon season. It would be very helpful if there were an "offline" mode for the Windows desktop program, or a command line switch (that's how old I am!) that would let me get something done, even if only to look up info in my notes about who to call when the internet is kaput!

Thanks for any suggestions for the inevitable unenviable future outages <<;} 
(smiley pointy-head wizard hat)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just took my laptop offline and restarted Evernote. It started quickly and normally except for the banner below at the top. I was able to create a note and when I went back online, it said, Syncing changes and continued as normal. This is on Windows Desktop. 

You're offline.Any changes will be saved on your device and synced when you're back online.

• Level 5

The problem is not to create a note offline, and get it synced later.

The problem is that most existing notes declare themselves unavailable while offline when I try to open them. I have full downloads on all 3 Macs showing this problem.

Windows desktop exhibits the same behavior described by PE's Mac experience above. Some notes are available, some aren't, and selecting "offline" in preferences seems to have zero effect on which notes work and which don't.

ETA: EN acknowledged the issue with offline and indicated they were working on a solution at least as far back as late March of this year. There's a screenshot of the comment on Twitter somewhere in the forums but I'm not finding the link at the moment.

17 hours ago, test_kw said:

I live in a rural area, and recently my internet was down for 3 days. During that time, I found Evernote to be basically unusable. Even the list of all notes would not appear, no tag restricted list, only shortcuts to a single note (no saved searches or tag shortcuts worked). Search always failed regardless of grammar, although there was an unhelpful error message - something like "search error, try later". At one point I had to resort to using arrow keys to move through dozens of cards in a ghostly list (just grey rectangles instead of text) to find a note that was about a week old.

This is a far cry from the older version of Evernote that stored my notes locally with full functionality, then synced up when the internet came back on. I could understand if AI feature for search etc didn't work without internet, but just listing all the notes? This seems pretty outrageous to me! I have been disappointed with some of the changes since I was forced into the version 10 universe, but I didn't expect THIS level of non-functionality.

City folks may not be able to sympathize with this issue, but us old country computer hippies have to deal with this on a fairly regular basis, especially during the monsoon season. It would be very helpful if there were an "offline" mode for the Windows desktop program, or a command line switch (that's how old I am!) that would let me get something done, even if only to look up info in my notes about who to call when the internet is kaput!

Thanks for any suggestions for the inevitable unenviable future outages <<;} 
(smiley pointy-head wizard hat)

Back in the Stone Age, I used the 'local program' (before programs were called 'apps').  It worked FAST and had no problem being off-line.  I could still use the web version on Chromebooks and Android.  At some point (not long ago), my Win 7 computer would no longer launch the local program.  I couldn't find anything on the EN website that showed compatible Windows versions.  The latest download chokes on my Win 7 laptop during install, so I tried it on a seldom used Win 10 desktop and it installed completely but then fails during launch, opening a browser with some crazy notice "Application Error: a client-side exception has occurred (see the browser console for more info)".  What the heck does that mean??
There's no way I can migrate away from Evernote unless I can export my database, so I need to get the 'local' program to work!  

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sounds like you're mainly using unsupported and outdated software,  so it's not surprising that Evernote fails to load.  While Windows 10 is currently supported,  updates to it will stop within the next year.  I'd suggest you make sure your Windows desktop is up to date and try again.

You should also be able to see your notes if you log in to Evernote.com via your browser.  It's not possible to export from there though.

• Level 5

@mrb186 No current EN client will work on a Win7 system. Win7 is  deprecated software and should never be used on a system connected to the internet.

Probably the Win10 laptop first needs to get all the Win10 updates it missed. And then at least the browser(s) should be updated as well.

Come back after this is done - hopefully with success, or a new error message.

On 8/11/2024 at 1:17 PM, mrb186 said:

Back in the Stone Age, I used the 'local program' (before programs were called 'apps').  It worked FAST and had no problem being off-line.  I could still use the web version on Chromebooks and Android.  At some point (not long ago), my Win 7 computer would no longer launch the local program.  I couldn't find anything on the EN website that showed compatible Windows versions.  The latest download chokes on my Win 7 laptop during install, so I tried it on a seldom used Win 10 desktop and it installed completely but then fails during launch, opening a browser with some crazy notice "Application Error: a client-side exception has occurred (see the browser console for more info)".  What the heck does that mean??
There's no way I can migrate away from Evernote unless I can export my database, so I need to get the 'local' program to work!  

For explizit offline use, you can use citavi or mandeley archivation software too.

@Federico Simionato ⚠️ Today for half an hour Evernote was down in some part of the service. Couldn't open notes again, offline messages. I use this as my primary productivity tool. HORRIBLE experience. I dread the day Evernote is down longer, or when I am in a critical meeting as my COO role demands. Offline correct workings get higher and higher on my need-list. I cannnot take the risk too long......  I might start looking for other tools if reliability of offline notes doesn't go up!

• Like 2
SWITCH PROGRAM LIKE ALTERNATIVES FOR EVERNOTE
IS ZAPPING WITHOUT FUN
AT THE END ALONG
AND AT THE END
YOU WILL SEE
YOU HAVE NOTHING REALY MORE WORK DONE

POWERFUL OFFLINE PROGRAMS
FOR DATA ARCHIV
THEY CAN WORK DIRECT
WITHOUT ANY UPDATES FROM THE NOTES
IF YOU HAVE NO NETWORK CONNECTION