How to create long arrow "-->"

Go to solution Solved by Cristiano478,

I noticed that evernote is able to do a long arrow in mac.

If you type "-" and ">"  it is converted to ->  

image.png.7e9fbe6b798cd5984e4f37b2e219165a.png

I tried every combination and it does not change automatically.  This seems to be an evernote feature. The long arrow appeared me once but I don't know what I did and now can't make it again.
  • Level 5*

"-" and ">" appear merged in the Windows app,  but are really two separate characters.  I don't recall ever seeing any other variations on arrows.  Is there a specific reason for needing this option?

19 hours ago, Janee said:

I tried every combination and it does not change automatically.

Working on Windows if you paste in the expected characters

-->

If you type in the characters you get a dash and then a small arrow! This must be a bug.

image.png.ea0f8698a0d48e6eea289202130cebc2.png

As a slight aside, Unicode support in EN is pretty good so you can sucessfully paste in a whole load of different arrows copied from a website or use a text expander. eg https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/search?q=arrow#characters

image.png.33200b43735e701050ca102cd2a067b4.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

On the Mac it works with one dash and the arrow tip only.

On iOS it works with 3 dashes and the arrow tip. More than 3 dashes produce dashes, followed by a solid arrow which as before uses 3 dashes.

Not sure if this is a EN function, or is done by the OS.

I can get three different arrows on windows using 1, 2 or 3 dashes.

image.png.3413cec7a55f6c02a17a925920542f5e.png
It appears that arrows that didn't work initially do sometimes convert to the proper arrow. Tricks seem to be to press enter after the arrow or don't start the arrow at the beginning of a line.
  • Like 1

I agree that this more looks like a bug. In an other note I again was able to see a long arrow, but only once. I think this is evernote and mac related. 

Note that I am not talking about the unicode long arrow. ⟶  This arrow is a completely different, longer and bolder it is spaced in the middle of the row height, not towards the bottom.

Other interesting feature of the arrow that with the right and left arrow keys you can step inside the arrow itself!
Now you would wonder what happens when you press space. If you press space after the first third of the arrow it will separate it to the following letters: dash-space-smallarrow .

If you press space after the second third it separates to two dashes and the > sign.

Note that as mentioned above  I can anytime copy paste this. But I would like to use it simply with the  two dash one ">" combination :)

hace 36 minutos, Mike P dijo:

I can get three different arrows on windows using 1, 2 or 3 dashes.

image.png.3413cec7a55f6c02a17a925920542f5e.png
It appears that arrows that didn't work initially do sometimes convert to the proper arrow. Tricks seem to be to press enter after the arrow or don't start the arrow at the beginning of a line.

This looks wonderful! I think this is exactly how it should be working on mac but just works totally randomly. So yes. For me this is a bug.

• Evernote Expert

This isn't a bug in as much as it is only intended /designed to work with one dash and a right arrowhead.

If @Mike P is getting it to work then he has discovered a bug that isn't supposed to do anything.

I'd suggest feedback@evernote.com to request this enhancement.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, agsteele said:

This isn't a bug in as much as it is only intended /designed to work with one dash and a right arrowhead.

Is there a definitive list of what is supposed to work? For example 

<->  =>  <-->  <---

all give the "expected" arrows

Sometimes it makes the arrow sometimes it isn't. It is a bug.  Either it should always work or never. Totally random makes no sense.

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, Janee said:

It is a bug

The best idea is still to raise this via feedback@evernote.com.  Changing how the editor works with respect to graphics characters in different OS's will be a complicated process given that Evernote's interactions are via a third-party 'wrapper' and the company will have its own priorities for upcoming work.

• Solution
Em 04/08/2024 at 06:44, Janee disse:

Sometimes it makes the arrow sometimes it isn't. It is a bug.  Either it should always work or never. Totally random makes no sense.

I think I figured it out here. The secret is to always type ">" first and then type "-" (3 times). That way it turns into a long arrow.

image.png.1f82e59ef3cfca74761e9ec8335fea6b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3