Last upgrade has slowed down things a lot

Go to solution Solved by EN-flow,

The latest upgrade seems to have significantly slowed down operations on the two platforms I use (Windows 10, Android). Version 10.95.6 on Windows, 1.95.1 on Android. Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

No. But the latest Android release is 10.96.3 so things may improve once you get that version.

The new RENT meta data sync may be causing a temporary showdown for your account.

Posted (edited)

Strangely, I cannot upgrade my Windows version using the help menu.

Can I force an upgrade another way?

I spent way too much time staring at my screen this morning.

Edited by fredhammersmith
  • Level 5

Either they introduced another bug, or you have a local database damage.

If you are valiant enough and can wait, see if the next release fixes it. Else do the Uninstall / Reinstall dance, with a risk that nothing changes if it’s a bug.

So, new upgrade, 10.973.

Seems OK. A bit on the slow side, but better.

Boomerang effect: still there (moved note come back to old notebook). Not every time, not every note.

I guess a complete re-install will be necessary.

• Solution
3 hours ago, fredhammersmith said:

Boomerang effect: still there (moved note come back to old notebook). Not every time, not every note.

had it too. i had to change the notebooks name + pu it in another random stack for a couple of hours. and then to the final stack. this worked for me.

48 minutes ago, EN-flow said:

had it too. i had to change the notebooks name + pu it in another random stack for a couple of hours. and then to the final stack. this worked for me.

Good to know.

I reinstalled completely. It seems to work now.

Oh my god. I had all kinds of trouble reinstalling Evernote so I migrated the local database to my SSD. Temporary measure I told myself (I want to keep my SSD for Windows and software)

It is like a new software. So quick.  Cannot go back.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

For a better understanding: You have placed the local database on a SSD now - is it an external SSD ? An internal one, but not the system drive ?

Where has it been before - spinning disk drive ?

Maybe you can elaborate a little, to allow others to copy your steps if needed.

Yes.

---

I moved the temporary data folder to my boot drive, an internal SSD that I wanted to reserve for Windows and software. It was previously on a standard hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s). For now, it's like night and day. I was so used to Evernote's slowness that I accepted it without much complaint. But now, it's like a brand-new software. I have 48,000 notes, so possibly the impact grows with volume. But it's very recent (this morning), so we'll see.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

possibly the impact grows with volume.

I'm running my 68,000 note account off a 2TB NVME drive and it's pretty much instant with every operation.  SSDs for the win...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, fredhammersmith said:

It was previously on a standard hard drive

I'm impressed that you tolerated an HDD that long.  I switched to an SSD years ago - it was Evernote driven but it greatly improved overall system performance.  I still use an HDD for photography.  Prices for large capacity SSDs are starting to get to the point where I may switch over there too.

• Like 1

Even SD cards work nice and quickly. My Laptop is a 2 in 1 with a small SSD so I have a 256GB SD plugged in permanently and it flies using Win 10 and 8GB RAM.

• Like 1