click "note," no empty note is created

Go to solution Solved by amritaskye,

Hi,

This has never happened to me before. I opened Evernote, went to my notebook called poems, and clicked "Note" to bring up a blank new note. Nada. Nothing. I closed and reopened Evernote. Still nothing. Next, I plan to reboot. Any ideas?

Skye

I have experienced this occasionally. Don't remember when it started, as in the beginning i just thought it was myself who had done something wrong.

There are also other related(?) problems at the moment: intern links go randomly to a wrong note, and notebooks showing notes from other notebooks.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I have no problems here - can you try the web version?  If the web works and your local app doesn't it may be worth re-downloading the latest version from Evernote.com and updating your current version...

When I tried to create a new note on the version on my computer--the latest version--the empty note didn't show up. But in the web version, I see the six or seven notes I tried to create on my computer. 

Also, how do I delete the blank notes in the web version? I've never used it, and when I right click, see no delete option.

Thanks,

Skye

I found how to delete blank notes on the web, under the three dots. But the initial problem still remains: new notes are not being created on my computer version.

Yesterday, I had a situation in which the new note was created in the present notebook but without the right-most pane containing the new note for editing.

This seems to match up with the behavior I often see: clicking on an internal link gets me to the notebook but does not display the note in the right-most pane.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave Green said:

new note was created in the present notebook but without the right-most pane

Also weird,  but rather different than no new note at all...  The note list seems to disappear when you select a single note from a search or go to a specific note from a link.  Maybe the theory is that you get as much screen space as possible for your specific note.  @Mike P posted that Ctrl+Alt+2 will reset the screen from there.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, gazumped said:

@Mike P posted that Ctrl+Alt+2 will reset the screen from there.

I've found subsequently that the sequence alt+ctrl+1 (Home) and then alt+ctrl+2 (Notes) is a very effective way of clearing searches, views with no note lists etc. I have that sequence mapped to ctrl+0 (using AHK) as it's "like" a shortcut (ctrl+1 to 9)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Also weird,  but rather different than no new note at all... 

True but I was suggesting (too obliquely) that one might miss the creation of such a note if the notebook was large.

• Like 1

I just redownloaded the application and reinstalled it--still the same problem. I guess I'm just waiting for the next update? This is so frustrating. I use Evernote multiple times a day. In fact, I'm dependent on it! Will the developers read my note?

Skye

• Evernote Expert

I rather suspect that this is broken installation. If I'm correct then reinstalling without first clearing out the old installation will not change anything.

Download free version of Revo Uninstaller. Use this to uninstall Evernote. Then download and install Evernote. Log back into the program and your note data will be rebuilt.

Using only the default Windows uninstall will not clear up as thoroughly as is likely to be needed. Neither will a future update fix anything.

• Like 1
  • Solution

This morning, a new version of Evernote downloaded and installed. I'm able to create a new note on my computer now! So relieved. This version is: 10.91.4-win-ddl-public (20240611093853)

Thank you to all of you who responded!

Skye

• Like 2

Still waiting for the 10.91.4 update.  My landline Internet is down so I'm hotspotting from phone.

Using:

10.91.3-win-winstore-public (20240606121101)
Editor: v178.11.1
Service: v1.109.4

I had no problems on Friday the 7th and went away for the weekend.  I think EN updated on Monday but I did not notice it and did not create any new notes.  Back to work yesterday and saw it for the first time.

What I saw is that if you are using the "Side List" view, are viewing a pre-existing note, and then click the green NOTE button to create a new note, the new note does not come up in the right hand side view window. 

If I sorted the columns in the middle window by "Updated", Newest at top to Oldest at bottom, I then saw ALL of the Untitled notes at the top of the sorted columns.  They are being created but EN is not prioritizing the new note as the one to be viewed.

You just have to re-sort the columns to find the new note.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you have the direct install and go to the EN website, you always get the latest install.

This will not work when a store version is installed. Due to problems that frequently arise from using Store versions we advise to use the direct version instead.