Evernote constant resource usage WITHOUT even login

Go to solution Solved by Pasamelo,

• Level 5*

Hi.  Your usage could be due to any number of things - recent boot-up / recent install / recent session - why not just log in and see how it goes?  My current experience (Win 11 / Evernote 10.91.1) is that Evernote is using 0% CPU and 4% memory. 

Thanks. 

Already tried all of that in later days, is not a recent effect:

- I let Evernote run logged in for some days

- Cleared user files

- Reinstalled everything from Scratch

- Monitored Evernote with procmon with no definitive evidence.

All drivers updated. GeForce 3080rtx.

Thanks again

When you reinstalled did you use Revo Uninstaller (PC) or Appcleaner (MAC) to do a totally complete uninstall first?  If you didn't, I would try that.  (If you go to support they are likely to ask you do that anyway or give you a set of specific folders to delete that will amount to the same thing.)

Vinnie

I wonder if it's because Evernote now seems to be always logged in, even when you log out. Previously, logging out of the desktop app actually logged you out of Evernote. Now, I log out of the desktop app but when I launch it to login, Chrome launches and tells me I'm already logged in on this browser and I don't need to enter my username or password to open the app. Maybe they have an unresolved security bug.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, thefryhole said:

Maybe they have an unresolved security bug.

No,  they don't. 

You can Quit Evernote,  which leaves it active to receive your clips,  do housekeeping and be ready to pop back up if you need it.   So you'll still see activity.

Or you can Sign Out which kills most of the active processes and offers you an option to delete the local storage. 

Clipper,  which is a separate add-in for Chrome (other browsers too) will stay active regardless of what you do in the main app.

17 minutes ago, thefryhole said:

I wonder if it's because Evernote now seems to be always logged in, even when you log out. Previously, logging out of the desktop app actually logged you out of Evernote. Now, I log out of the desktop app but when I launch it to login, Chrome launches and tells me I'm already logged in on this browser and I don't need to enter my username or password to open the app. Maybe they have an unresolved security bug.

If you log out of the desktop then you're logged out of it but the new login process now sends you via the web to log back in so if you're already logged in it will log you in.

Very similar to how Google, Microsoft and a lot of others work.

I would like to know how to log out completely then, because logging out of the desktop app seems to do nothing of value. Are there updated instructions on the website to implement a true logout? Any help would be appreciated, as this behavior is new and I will need to change my workflow to accommodate it properly.

6 minutes ago, thefryhole said:

I would like to know how to log out completely then, because logging out of the desktop app seems to do nothing of value. Are there updated instructions on the website to implement a true logout? Any help would be appreciated, as this behavior is new and I will need to change my workflow to accommodate it properly.

If you log out of the app then your logged out of the app, not the web version which is a different "app".

Log out of all your apps, including web separately. 

This page has a very small amount of information but I think they're planning a blog post on overall security once they've updated everything.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/29147324292243-What-to-do-if-you-re-being-logged-out-immediately-from-Evernote-Web

Under Applications in the online security settings you can see what apps are logged in and revoke access if you want.

I have not logged into the web version of EN, only the desktop version. To use the web clipper, however, it seems I must also be logged in via Chrome, though that didn't give me access to the desktop app previously. So by logging out of the desktop app today, I'm not truly logged out of the desktop app. Here's today's process:

• I logout of the DT app
  • I restart my computer
  • After the restart completes, I launch the DT app
  • Chrome opens and displays a message that essentially says, "You're already logged in," and I can opt to go to the DT app
  • The DT app opens to the home screen
  • At no point did I enter a password (or even my username) after logging out, though I am able to access my account via the DT app

I don't have a PhD in software diddling, but I know this is new behavior. I want the security of being logged out and apparently I need to do something different than I've been doing to get it under this new scheme. Do I need to login to both the DT and the web app and then log out of both individually?

• Level 5

EN is based on Chrome(ium). I can only assume they share a keychain. No idea, I don’t use Chrome (or any other Chrome based browser) at all.

You can contact support.

Meanwhile it would anyhow be safer if you would enable 2FA for a more secure login.