Scannable v3.0 - Lack of Options and Sharing

• Level 5*

The Evernote app will also scan and save,  and there are third party apps from Adobe and Microsoft which will do the same.  Not sure who owns Scannable any more,  or whether it will be developed further...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Oh, it's pretty much alive and kick'in. Just got a fresh release, that removed all options to save scans outside of EN. It seems to be the only app that was bought by EN years ago that is maintained. It seems the management has decided they will not provide a free to use scanner any more that allows to use the scans outside of EN.

image.png.2f89595f7ce4251c649f2d6bce3536d3.png

Yah the new update (v3.0) was released within the past week. I liked this app because it would save all PDF's to evernote, and give the option to immediately save/share outside of evernote on the ones I needed to share. Hopefully they add some of the functionality back, otherwise I will have to move on to a different scanning app.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
3 minutes ago, evernotemmm said:

... otherwise I will have to move on to a different scanning app.

Expect you will ...

It‘s fine for everybody using EN - and intentionally useless for everybody else now.

I would not be surprised to see the functionality integrated into EN as next step.

I have been using SCANNABLE as my main scan to email App for years and now there is no scan to email function?  WTH?

They call this an upgrade? More like a disaster.

First they do away with the EN legacy format which was way better than the new EN web-based format and now they destroy the functionality of SCANNABLE?

Who the hell is in control of this thing and why do they believe that deleting functions that were the reason why they had users is a good thing?

I used to recommend SCANNABLE and EN to all of my clients. Now I am telling them to avoid them like the plague!

• Like 5
  1. Limited File Formats: Users often want the flexibility to save scans in multiple formats (e.g., PDF, JPEG). If Scannable v3.0 restricts users to a single format, it can be inconvenient.

2. Sharing Constraints: Effective document scanning apps should provide multiple sharing options, including email, cloud storage (e.g., Google Drive, Dropbox), and direct messaging. Limited sharing capabilities can hinder productivity, especially for users who need to share documents quickly and seamlessly.     check bill now

3. Editing Capabilities: Advanced editing options, such as cropping, rotating, and adjusting the quality of scanned documents, are crucial for a satisfactory user experience. If these features are absent or insufficiently developed in Scannable v3.0, it may lead to user dissatisfaction.

4. Integration with Other Apps: Integration with other productivity tools and apps, especially within the Evernote ecosystem, is vital. Users expect smooth interoperability between scanning apps and their note-taking or organizational apps.

5. User Interface and Experience: A streamlined and intuitive interface is essential. If the app's design is cumbersome or if users find it difficult to navigate, this could be a significant drawback.    pesco online bill

To address these issues, here are some potential improvements and considerations for Scannable or any similar scanning app:

• Enhance File Format Options: Provide users with the ability to save scans in various formats such as PDF, JPEG, PNG, etc.
  • Expand Sharing Options: Integrate with more platforms and services for easy sharing, including direct integration with email, popular cloud storage services, and social media.
  • Improve Editing Tools: Offer robust editing tools that allow users to make necessary adjustments to their scans before saving or sharing.
  • Increase Integration: Ensure seamless integration with other productivity apps, especially those within the same ecosystem, to enhance workflow efficiency.
  • Refine User Experience: Continuously gather user feedback to improve the app’s user interface and overall experience, making it more intuitive and user-friendly.

If you have any specific issues or features you would like to see addressed in Scannable v3.0, providing detailed feedback to the developers can also be an effective way to encourage improvements in future updates.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

As EN user you are free to continue using Scannable. For everybody else it doesn't make much sense any more.

The new owners are ending all Free offers the former management accumulated. You can think about it what you want - but what the former management did was not sustainable for sure. The company was in the red year by year, consuming all income and investors money. Recommending it in such conditions was brave ...

If you want a free scanner app, try Lens from Microsoft.

• Level 5

Vuescan is a completely different thing: It is desktop software build to use older scanners on more modern computers.

Has nothing to do with a mobile app.

• Like 1

Evernote user here... also want to say how annoying this new "feature" is that just puts every scan straight to my inbox. I have automations set up that take my receipts and put them into my accounting app which all take 7 more steps now because I have to open Evernote, find the note, tap multiple times to get the darn move note to open and then move it to the correct notebook. 

I get that there is "ending free offerings" but there is also good and bad design and this falls into the bad design category. 

• Like 1

I wish they made Scannable a reasonably priced paid app instead, without limiting export options. 

The present solution is obviously bad for those who use Evernote just like for those who don’t. 

• Level 5

My opinion is different: They actually started to work on the Scannable app now - which is more we could have said for the last couple of years. The app did never get much love, and remained with an outdated UI and quite backwards, compared to other scanner apps.

It seems it will get a thorough relaunch. As usual the first releases focus on core technology, and will not be feature complete.

You can send you development wishes here: feedback@evernote.com

• Thanks 1

I am an almost daily user of Scannable and am very disappointed in the lost functionality. I sent an email to feedback@evernote.com to see if any information about the future of the app can be provided. In the meantime I am looking for other options. I do not use Microsoft, so am curious about other recommendations for a scanning app with the functionality we lost this last week. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

What does „I don’t use Microsoft“ mean ? By principle ? By not holding any Microsoft subscription? By throwing darts at an image of … (place the name of any person related with MS) ?

Lens is a free app, by Microsoft. It doesn’t require anything, not even a Free MS account. It’s just download and use, which has gotten sort of rare with all the paid scanning apps.

I have not used any paid Microsoft products since I became an entrepreneur.  Thanks for providing more info on Lens. I downloaded the app and it gives me a 'clipping error' when attempting to save a pdf to EN. I will keep playing with Lens.

• Level 5

Just tried - both as jpg and as pdf my scans through Lens imported without any problem, creating new notes.

I am not propagating Lens in general, actually I use Scanner Pro by readdle as my go to scanner. It is very capable, but it is not free. If somebody wants a free scanner app, Lens is probably the best free option. You don’t even need to enter an account (different to Adobe apps, that may come for Free, but require you to enter an account, or open one).

Beside this I don’t have Microsoft subscriptions myself, and don’t waste my time on the usual bloatware they deliver. Working in a professional environment, I can’t always avoid the usual bunch of MS products. But then it’s on computers owned by my clients.

• Thanks 1

The new scannable update made thousands of users unhappy, including me. I used the app almost daily because I could send scanned documents to any notebook I selected, and I have at least 50 of them. I did have the scannable for free, I thought Evernote provided it as a part of my subscription and I have had it for years.

I thought is something wrong with my iPhone, and was thinking of deleting the Scannable app and reinstalling it, but when I saw hundreds one one-star reviews in the App Store, I understood that it was not only my problem.

Someone suggested the Scanner Pro, where you can send scanned documents to any selected notebook. I hope Evernote will revert the Scannable to the previous version.  Thanks, Evernote for making so many people disappointed.

• Level 5

You must be at a different AppStore: The ranking is 4.8 (of 5). Yes, there are a lot of new "bad" entries, and most of them claim "Oh, this used to be a free app" or "I can't send my scan where I want, it requires an EN account" (which is effectively the same as "not free any more").

So what happens here is that there are thousands of disgruntled freeloaders are leaving the boat, unhappy as hell that the app now requires a connection to an EN account, and these accounts if used need a subscription. If I were EN management, I would not be nervous about these comments.

Personally I expect more functions added in the future, so hopefully we will have an integrated and useful scanning app as part of our subscription package. Who doesn't want to pay needs to find another scanning option.

And yes, I use Scanner Pro, and you can select Notebook and Tags. But not on the fly, it is based in predefined workflows. This feature was one reason for me why I actually paid for Scanner Pro instead of using "Free" Scannable for years.

PinkElephant. you have a great point about these free-ride users. Unfortunately, the update 3.0 affected us who are EN subscribers. I do not see why I need another subscription from the same company. Removing the choice of selecting where the scan goes, is very inconvenient. Now I am wasting my time moving the scanned documents to the right notebooks.

The new update has a bug, that left the default notebook that I selected before an update untouched, instead of switching to the SCANS notebook. I have over 500 pages of tutorials that notebook and new scans go there, so if I do not move the scanned document right away, it may get lost with other documents.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, MusicWiz said:

I do not see why I need another subscription from the same company.

You don't, but you do need to have an Evernote subscription to use it now, which you already have.  I suspect they want you to go to Evernote and move the scan from there, but I agree that it should allow you to select the notebook, and tags, like it is done with the webclipper.  It is a reasonable request and makes sense (to me anyway).  We are mainly a users group.  Send your comments to feedback@evernote.com.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The AppStore listing may be a bit misleading, since it quotes a subscription. But it is addressed at users who do not already hold an EN subscription. 

Quite expensive BTW - I would not pay 50€ a year just for this simple scanner app. For that price there are better options, and for simple scanning there are still a few free alternatives .

Where I agree: It should offer more control over the scans and their management.

@PinkElephant I looked at the ScannerPro plus a few others and I agree the ScannerPro is my #1 choice, and much cheaper than Scannable. But why do they display different pricing?

• Scanner Pro Plus $29.99
  • Scanner Pro Plus $19.99
  • Scanner Pro Plus $25.99
  • Scanner Pro Plus $30.99
  • Level 5

Frankly, I have no idea. I got the app when it was a one time purchase, paid and use it since.

But you can check on the website, or ask their support. From my experience they have a pretty decent, fast support (opposite to a note taking app who’s name should not be mentioned …).

• Like 2
On 5/25/2024 at 9:22 AM, DrMartin said:

I have been using SCANNABLE as my main scan to email App for years and now there is no scan to email function?  WTH?

They call this an upgrade? More like a disaster.

First they do away with the EN legacy format which was way better than the new EN web-based format and now they destroy the functionality of SCANNABLE?

Who the hell is in control of this thing and why do they believe that deleting functions that were the reason why they had users is a good thing?

I used to recommend SCANNABLE and EN to all of my clients. Now I am telling them to avoid them like the plague!

Agree! They took away almost everything, I can’t even select a category after I do a scan. The go to Evernote button on the bottom is in the way and it sucks, matter fact this whole new version sucks! I finally got the app to be perfect and now they destroyed it! Matter fact, I think I’m gonna delete and cancel my Evernote if they don’t get this fixed really fast!

Thank you EVERNOTE! I have the additional save/send options available in the Scannable app today. Well, almost...my first scan of the day required me to log in. I had the camera roll and additional send options. Every scan since, the app will only save to Evernote. So close...it gives me hope that these functionalities will be back very soon.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Despite hundreds of one-star reviews, (from subscribers as well) the company is not in a hurry to make any modifications or change it back like it was before. Maybe one day they will. It's still rated 4.9 because of the thousands of 5 stars they received through the years. Lets hope they will!

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Since the launch of Evernote v10, the aim has been to unify the experience of the main application across all platforms.  Scannable is and always has been an iOS ony application. I'm not surprised that it really isn't getting much love. Indeed, I'm surprised it has got any attention at all given the competition in the field. Perhaps the scanning function will find itself moved into the main Evernote app and the standalone application will wither away. Just a guess on my part. No inside track on this.

@gazumped, the Quality of Microsoft Lens scans is not nearly as good as Scannable or Scanner Pro. The final scans display all the defects on the paper, including shadows, folded lines, and even some dust, unless you send it to Scanner Pro which does some cleaning. I subscribe to many Adobe products and the last thing I want to do is pay for an additional Adobe application. Scannable was perfect.

• Level 5

Using Lens you need to decide which scanning option to use. They tweak the raw picture in different directions. If one is grabbing too much details, Whiteboard is often a setting that will reduce it to the max (sometimes a bit too much).

• Like 1
On 5/28/2024 at 1:46 PM, John C Nab said:

I am an almost daily user of Scannable and am very disappointed in the lost functionality. I sent an email to feedback@evernote.com to see if any information about the future of the app can be provided. In the meantime I am looking for other options. I do not use Microsoft, so am curious about other recommendations for a scanning app with the functionality we lost this last week. Thank you.

I sent an email too with no response!

On 5/21/2024 at 4:58 PM, evernotemmm said:

With the latest version of Scannable (3.0) on IOS, the option to have the scans save to a specific Evernote folder is no longer present, so now it just saves to the default Evernote folder. Now this adds more steps to move the scans to a different folder in evernote.

Also, you use to be able to scan and then "send" button which would bring up the share sheet option in IOS, now it just saves to Evernote with no direct sending option. This also adds additional time and steps when scanning a document that I want saved to evernote but may want to immediately message or airdrop as well, now I have to go into evernote after the scan and do it.

Seems as though a step back in functionality and efficiency.

Totally agree, this new update is a step backward!

On 5/24/2024 at 7:13 AM, PinkElephant said:

Expect you will ...

It‘s fine for everybody using EN - and intentionally useless for everybody else now.

I would not be surprised to see the functionality integrated into EN as next step.

No! it's not fine for everybody using EN. I pay and use EN and this update sucks and it waist my time moving my scans to the proper categories. It was Simple and fast, now it's not!

On 5/25/2024 at 12:46 PM, PinkElephant said:

As EN user you are free to continue using Scannable. For everybody else it doesn't make much sense any more.

The new owners are ending all Free offers the former management accumulated. You can think about it what you want - but what the former management did was not sustainable for sure. The company was in the red year by year, consuming all income and investors money. Recommending it in such conditions was brave ...

If you want a free scanner app, try Lens from Microsoft.

I never knew that EN was free, being an EN user I figured it was part of the cost of Evernote to use this app and to take away the features that I was using has upset and disappointed me! .

On 5/28/2024 at 7:32 AM, PinkElephant said:

My opinion is different: They actually started to work on the Scannable app now - which is more we could have said for the last couple of years. The app did never get much love, and remained with an outdated UI and quite backwards, compared to other scanner apps.

It seems it will get a thorough relaunch. As usual the first releases focus on core technology, and will not be feature complete.

You can send you development wishes here: feedback@evernote.com

On 5/28/2024 at 12:44 AM, andy_vdg said:

Evernote user here... also want to say how annoying this new "feature" is that just puts every scan straight to my inbox. I have automations set up that take my receipts and put them into my accounting app which all take 7 more steps now because I have to open Evernote, find the note, tap multiple times to get the darn move note to open and then move it to the correct notebook. 

I get that there is "ending free offerings" but there is also good and bad design and this falls into the bad design category. 

Agreed! To disrupt a current user and customers work flow is not cool!

• Like 1

Does Scanner Pro allow the scans to be sent to specific Evernote notebooks like Scannable? Will Scanner Pro allow scans to be shared via email, text, and one drive? 

• Level 5

Scanner Pro creates a file, can be a picture (jpg) or a pdf. It can be OCRed right on device. Now you have a file, in the app.

In Scanner Pro settings you define 2 things (among many more): First you define a Cloud service, and then depending on your choice you define matching workflows. In the case of EN these are upload actions that send a file into a specific notebook, create a new note there and apply a set of standard tags to that note. You can have several workflows (each with another notebook and different tags), name them accordingly and use the one that best matches your scanned content.

You can use different cloud services as well, like always sending a file into Dropbox, plus the option to send it via workflow into EN, and forward it by email. There is even a fax option (if you are a fan of sending faxes …). It is not restricted to only a single service, for one file you can use several services in parallel.

It is a shame as I have been using scannable for years. I do use EN but prefer to scan to Dropbox, or email if it is an expense receipt. Sadly I think it will be time for me to move on to another app

Seems like EN could figure out a way its users still had access to the former options. I routinely scan notes for work and keep them in EN, but also send them to my staff for reference and filing.  It took me 2 1/2 times as long to scan notes today than it used to. Extremely user unfriendly

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I believe that the more extensive features for Scannable require the full Scannable subscription. Logging in with Evernote gives only access to scanning into Evernote.

• Level 5

It is impossible to tell. Because the last sentence in the product description in the App Store says:

The download and use of Scannable is free.“

Der Download und die Nutzung von Scannable sind kostenlos.

Which is obviously a joke when in the in-app purchases it asks for 2,99 for a week or 49,99 for a yearly subscription.

It looks like they did not change the description, but broke most of the described functionality for all users, and placed a price on what’s left.

Compared to other scanning apps the price would not be justified even if everything would still be working.

Just discovered - If you sign out of Evernote in the scannable settings, it gives you the options to share or save elsewhere as before. 

Does it give you an option just one time? What if you want to change the destination? Do you need to sign out again? Because I am always evolving where I want my scans to go.

@PinkElephant In my humble opinion the scannable should be free for all EN subscribers. It would be fairer for us, the subscribers, plus they would gain more subscribers. I hope one day EN marketing team will make this happen. And please, put the old custom settings back.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Today most scanner apps charge something, either a one time or a subscription. Those that don’t have deep pockets, like Lens from MS. I don’t say it should be a paid app. But since it is a privately developed software, one can argue it is fair to charge.

What I remarked is

- App description and enforcing an inapp purchase doesn’t match 

- The price is extremely high, compared to other, more capable apps 

• Like 1

I logged out of EN in the Scannable app and can see the additional send/share options. I am disappointed that EN added steps to my productivity workflow. At least we have a workaround.

What I don’t understand is the complete lack of software lifecycle management. I mean it’s 2024 and we’ve had Testflight for almost a decade now. If this app is really a beta or even an initial MVP of a rewrite then why not release it as such? That way people can easily switch back to the old version if the missing features are too much of a pain, you can still release something and gather valuable feedback along the way. Instead something that is half baked is dumped on everyone without a choice and you just make your existing paying customers upset. 0 communication about if the additional functionality will ever come or general strategy of the app does not help. I would have thought they might have learned from previous “upgrades” but it seems like more of the same… 

• Evernote Expert

This isn't a beta release of Scannable. Rather a refocus of its options. Paying users of Scannable get the full features of the app otherwise the options are, I think intentionally, limited depending how the app is used. Login via Evernote and the assumption is you want to scan into Evernote.

Personally I'm surprised that Scannable has been retained since all the other add-on applications that Evernote used to promote have been allowed to wither away or have been incorprated to some extent within Evernote. Scannable doesn't fit the more general intention of offering everything for all platforms being an iOS only app.

• Evernote Expert

Yes, the changes are made and done. There may be a few minor tweaks to the saving options and I think that all users may be forced to log back in so that they see the notification of the changes but what you see now is pretty much what you are going to get.

What is the main reason Scannable lost popularity and gained many unhappy users? Perhaps the Evernote marketing team believed that removing many features from Scannable would encourage more people to subscribe to or sign up with EN. Do they read the reviews on the App Store, where the application has received hundreds of one-star ratings in the past 2-3 months? This feedback represents only about 5% of users who take the time to leave a review. Among the remaining 95%, some stay while others switch to different apps.

Hopefully, Scannable will return to its former quality.

• Level 5

It was for free. Now it requires a subscription, either through inapp purchase or EN.

It’s obviously enough for many to whine when the complimentary pot with honey is removed from the buffet. That’s what nearly all postings are about.

There is rarely a comment about features.

• Like 1

I agree about  "pot with honey", but many reviewers are EN subscribers. What about us, who subscribe to Evernote, year after year, especially the last increase from $75 to $140? Don't we deserve to have the old Scannable back? I am not even asking for new features. Oh well...I personally, found the solution, thanks to you PinkElephant

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It was for free. Now it requires a subscription, either through inapp purchase or EN.

It’s obviously enough for many to whine when the complimentary pot with honey is removed from the buffet. That’s what nearly all postings are about.

There is rarely a comment about features.

That's BS! I use Scannable Because I'm Subscribed to EN! To me, it's never been free to use And no, I'm not whining, I'm upset because they took away features in the app that I was using, and it's causing me hours of more work! And yes, I have posted about the removed features! EN has removed the GPS coordinates where the file was scanned, and where I can save it into EN, those two features that were removed cost me, headaches, and more hours of work! This was not a pot of honey that was removed from the Buffet, what are ridiculous analogy!

• Level 5

Scannable until release 3.0 was free to download and use for everybody.

You could have used it without EN, you could have used it on a FREE plan without paying, or with any subscription. It didn’t require a subscription, so your argument you did use it with a subscription is nice to know, but not relevant.

The second part of the answer does not lie in your feelings, but in what is posted in the AppStore. Because it was said that the recent bad reviews had to do with a reduction of features. So read the comments yourself.

They are nearly all about „it used to be free, and now it asks to be paid“ - and not about missing features.

This doesn’t say anything about your motivation - feel free to send your opinion at       feedback@evernote.com

Don't mind to pay fair prices for apps.  But for a relative simple scanning app I have no problem to pay up tot 10 euros or so.  But no subscription fees.

It's a shame because it was always a quick scanning app.  Right now Im starting to use Genius scan (which I also once bought for a couple of euros). and I can use the 'send to' or 'e-mail to' functionality again.  With scannable I could AND e-mail and automatically save to Evernote.  Now I just also e-mail into Evernote.  Till I also find a replacement for Evernote since they changed the reminders function which makes that app also not as workable as before.

• Level 5

Any developer can charge whatever he wants.

You are not forced to pay what he asks - there is enough competition, and usable free options.

You ask for a specific scanning app with functionality you want - then it’s your decision to pay what’s asked, or control your desire to get it.

If you have this crazy pricey app, but people get it anyhow, it’s sort of hard to argue it should be cheaper. That’s how a market economy works. 

Personally I think Scannable as part of the subscription package is ok, and the price without an EN subscription is way too high for what it does.

PinkElephant, you have great points. You always do... 🐵

A few friends and I have emailed feedback@evernote.com asking to revert the Scannable to the previous version for all the EN subscribers.

I suggested having 2 versions of Scannable, the free EN users, and the EN subscribers version, where you will have the same controls as before the latest update.

We are still waiting to receive answers or solutions, and instead, I received an email that suggested going to the discussion forums tp get an answer, which I am back where I was before.

I have many apps on my iPhone, many of which have had improvements with every update. Scannable Is the only app that was downgraded with a new update. Very sad....

• Evernote Expert

These changes are a marketing decision by the owners. Having taken the step I very much doubt that anything will change until they have had the opportunity to review the impact. At that point, in several months, they may decide their decision was good and nothing changes, or that some of the ideas suggested would be worth considering, or I fear more likely that Scannable will be withdrawn.

I have no inside knowledge other than to say that nothing significant will change for months. Expect some minor adjustments but nothing like has been suggested.

• Level 5

My personal hope is that they finally remove the Scannable app as a separate offer, and integrate it into the build in scanner. It would be nice to be able to create a pdf instead of a series of "Snapshot.png"s from the camera function.

That beside this the camera function is buggy for every user of iPhone 14 or 15 should be mentioned. With the better sensors and all, there is a new SDK to integrate the camera function into apps. But EN devs didn't listen - both the old and the new team missed to fix this very basic problem.

It is another issue where my support tickets disappeared in a black hole of ignorance or different priorities. Which means the use of the build in camera and scanner is seriously impeded for smaller objects, since nearly 2 years now.

@PinkElephant I find the new 3.0 beta app does solve my camera problem on my iPhone 14 pro. It works much better... and I wonder why they would have done that - the labelling as a new beta version as well as fixing this problem if they were just going to pull it? Seems like a lot of wasted effort if that's the case. I also never understood why they made Scannable so good (up to recent issues with newer iPhone cameras) and couldn't do the same with the built in one. But then again... over the years there are many decisions this company has made that I don't understand.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I am so upset there is no share / sent button on scannable app iOS anymore!!! How come it has disappeared like this?!?!

it is a headache to scan&mail docs. Getting completely lost in this evernote stuff I never use! And old cans are filling my memory though I do not need them anymore!

I see changes are starting to happen. Recently when I clicked 'Save' in Scannable three options now appear: Evernote (free Option), Camera roll and Share. When I select 'Share' or 'Camera Roll' it gives me an option to purchase or 'Sign in with Evernote and continue for free'.  When I sign in to my EN account, nothing happens and scannable takes me back to the purchase or sign in page - meaning the Share and Camera Roll options do not work. I should note that I do not have any issues saving into Evernote, it even allows me to choose the notebook (again). Progress...but still frustrated I have no response from my support tickets on the scannable issues.  

I am beginning to think the Scannable Pro app will be part of Evernote subscription and not a separate purchase. Not sure.

IMG_7315.jpg

IMG_7316 2.jpg

It not like it was before, free option? Plus there’s one more tap I have to do to get where I want to be to save it to Evernote. And it looks like that there will be a charge for using it now and it doesn’t look like it’s cheap. I paid Evernote and it should be a part of Evernote. Just my opinion.

26 minutes ago, MusicWiz said:

After the latest update, my Scannable went back to how it was before. Great update.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, rexjc said:

I paid Evernote and it should be a part of Evernote. Just my opinion.

Evernote has a camera option built into the app which works without additional software.

• Like 1

The updates don't connect to my paid Evernote account anymore. When I scan a document, it states I should log into my Evernote account, which I do, and then it fails to connect and I'm unable to send any scans to Evernote or through the Share button. Has anyone figured out a way to fix this? I've tried reaching out to tech support but they just loop me back to what's already posted online and I've already done everything that's available Evernote's official site. 

• Level 5*
On 7/2/2024 at 4:59 PM, gazumped said:

Evernote has a camera option built into the app which works without additional software.

Scannable does not connect to my EN account when I attempt to save to camera roll or share. I click on the option to 'sign in with Evernote and continue for free' and I sign in and nothing happens. The only option that works for me is to save to Evernote.

3 hours ago, John C Nab said:

Scannable does not connect to my EN account when I attempt to save to camera roll or share. I click on the option to 'sign in with Evernote and continue for free' and I sign in and nothing happens. The only option that works for me is to save to Evernote.

Scannable is not letting me sign in at all.

51 minutes ago, rexjc said:

Scannable is not letting me sign in at all.

Does the same thing to me. Every time I open scannable it wants me to login and now it won't even let me login. This really sucks and is a waste of my time! I used to love scannable, but I hate it now!

51 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Can’t point at any thing that would prevent the login.

Next step: Contact support

Well that's a joke! I can't get ahold of them! they don't respond to emails, calls or chat!

51 minutes ago, John C Nab said:

Yep. Support has yet to respond to any of my tickets over the last four months, but I keep trying.

Exactly!

• Level 5
2 hours ago, rexjc said:

Well that's a joke! I can't get ahold of them! they don't respond to emails, calls or chat!

Support won’t answer to emails, because there is no address. If you have one, it’s bogus or can only be used with a valid ticket number .

There is no number you could call.

Chat has been „temporarily“ discontinued last August, and it still is

Conclusion: You get no answers because none of your messages go through.

Follow the rules, issue a ticket

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Support won’t answer to emails, because there is no address. If you have one, it’s bogus or can only be used with a valid ticket number .

Do you think I'm lying? I did follow the rules! I filled out a form on their web site to EN and they reply with nothing about my problem and yes there is no chat & phone support, That's my point! Support should be simple and helpful!

The email they sent me with no ticket number! If you can tell how to get a ticket tell me!!!!!!! Worst Support Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attach is part of EN's reply from me asking for help with Scannable. I did not ask help with billing! 

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 5.49.13 PM.png

• Level 5

I just told you (and anybody else) that the only way to approach support is through a ticket. Not email, not calls, not chat. T-I-C-K-E-T only.

If you like the support performance is up to yourself. I found them to be completely useless for me, on several tickets I send them over the last months. The one thing that has improved is the reaction time.

The answers send were hollow in content, evading usable answers, everything laced with sugary text blocks.

The example you posted is very good - I just had an exchange about my billing history with support. I haven't received an invoice for the 2024 renewal, posted in the billings history. The only thing they did through several answers was NOT telling me if and when I can expect my invoice.

As I suspected it was a beta release pushed out to everyone... least now the select notebooks is back and they are trying to make changes to the login which is still pretty broken. 

@PEAdmin & @rexjc the login to Evernote didn't work for me either. I would log in... it would prompt me again and then I got an error that it could not load my notebooks. The way I solved it was to completely uninstall and reinstall Scannable and now it works most of the time. 

I think they are trying to solve the problem where the old Scannable would constantly log you out when the login token expired or 2FA requires re-authentication. Sometimes it still happens and will say it found an account but then not authenticate properly. Sometimes a simple app restart helps or if that doesn't work I tell it to log in with a different account and I re-authenticate. Still annoying but it's heading in the right direction.

Hopefully, they keep pushing out more updates that fix these issues. Although I still don't understand why they don't use Testflight and get some people who don't mind contributing suffer through the pain of broken apps rather than pushing it out to everyone. 

• Level 5

Just for the record: I am just a forum user, not staff, not admin.

Releasing faulty versions currently is more the norm than the exception. Can’t tell much more, I don’t use Scannable as my daily scanner. 

But the login worked for me …

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

2 hours ago, andy_vdg said:

As I suspected it was a beta release pushed out to everyone... least now the select notebooks is back and they are trying to make changes to the login which is still pretty broken. 

@PEAdmin & @rexjc the login to Evernote didn't work for me either. I would log in... it would prompt me again and then I got an error that it could not load my notebooks. The way I solved it was to completely uninstall and reinstall Scannable and now it works most of the time. 

I think they are trying to solve the problem where the old Scannable would constantly log you out when the login token expired or 2FA requires re-authentication. Sometimes it still happens and will say it found an account but then not authenticate properly. Sometimes a simple app restart helps or if that doesn't work I tell it to log in with a different account and I re-authenticate. Still annoying but it's heading in the right direction.

Hopefully, they keep pushing out more updates that fix these issues. Although I still don't understand why they don't use Testflight and get some people who don't mind contributing suffer through the pain of broken apps rather than pushing it out to everyone. 

I never agreed to be a beta tester and never want to be.

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2024 at 12:44 AM, andy_vdg said:

What a PAIN IN THE ARSE this has become - it used to be so easy to use - and I actually recommended to my friends/family to buy Evernote simply because it would also include this great little scannable app that put scans into your photos, and so easy to share.  THIS UPDATE SUCKS.  Makes me question if I even need Evernote - there are so many more options available now and with the additional costs that they want to charge for functionality that we had for years before... 

1Scannable screenshot Aug 2024.jpg

2Scannable screenshot Aug 2024.jpg

• Level 5

Maybe you thought it was the greatest invention since canned milk …

But in fact it was just a mediocre scanning app, without any significant progress since it launched. It is one of the apps EN acquired years ago, that never got any love or resources. The others are Penultimate (discontinued) and Skitch (discontinued).

If you want a rapid scan for sharing, use the scanner build into the iOS Files app, or a free scanner like Lens from Microsoft.

One can use the scanner in the native Notes app on iOS too. Too bad, because I liked the old Scannable. I'll probably end up using the Notes app, UNLESS I need it go into EN, of course which I do use all the time, especially for receipts etc. Just silly to downgrade the functions and capabilities that paid-for EN users have enjoyed for years. if I were in marketing, I'd increase the EN subscription by $5/yr or whatever and include ALL of the Scannable functionality and improve it as welll. Heck I still use Skitch, had no idea it was discontinued until now!

• Level 5

You can use Penultimate and Skitch as they are. But you can’t install fresh, and if an OS update or similar breaks it, then it’s dead.

Technically both are obsolete since years !