Link to ID/tag in another document

I thought I read somewhere that recently they added a feature that I could create a link using an ID/tag in one document, and then link to it in another document.

Am I dreaming?

If not dreaming... how do you do it?

• FredJ changed the title to Link to ID/tag in another document
35 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

What do you mean by "document" ?

You can link notes, which is no surprise because you always could.

As in link to a specific spot in a specific document, not just the document itself, so that you jump to the exact spot that particular tag or ID is sitting at.

• Level 5*

Create a Large, medium or small header.  Hover over the text.  There should be a drop-arrow to the left and a link icon on the extreme right of the note.  Click the link icon to copy the URL of that point in the note...  The arrow will show or hide any content below that header.

• Like 1

Thanks, I guess that Evernote gurus still don't have the programming figured out how to jump directly to a link (or shortcut which I used to be able to do with legacy).  It just jumps me to the document but at the top, which I can't believe they don't have working yet...

• Level 5

There have NEVER been jump marks inside of documents. Not in any legacy version, at least.

v10 leaves legacy in the dust, for several reasons:

• It has a concept of headers (legacy had no active headers)
  • It has backlinks to move in any direction between linked notes (legacy: Nada)
  • It has the ability to jump inside of a note, from a Table of Content that inserts itself at the beginning of a note (legacy: Nothing)

Which means that opposite to the typical meh, meh meh v10 allows quickly to go to a paragraph INSIDE of a note from any other note: Use headers for your paragraphs, insert a In-Note-TOC at the beginning of the note. Insert a link to that note into any other.

The link will take you to the top of the note, where the TOC awaits your visit. Click on a TOC position, and it takes you straight to that paragraph. When done, use the backlink to go back to where you started.

Slick ! Ah, and opposite to what legacy fanboys try to tell: Not available in legacy, in no version.

11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There have NEVER been jump marks inside of documents. Not in any legacy version, at least.

• It has the ability to jump inside of a note, from a Table of Content that inserts itself at the beginning of a note (legacy: Nothing)

Which means that opposite to the typical meh, meh meh v10 allows quickly to go to a paragraph INSIDE of a note from any other note: Use headers for your paragraphs, insert a In-Note-TOC at the beginning of the note. Insert a link to that note into any other.

The link will take you to the top of the note, where the TOC awaits your visit. Click on a TOC position, and it takes you straight to that paragraph. When done, use the backlink to go back to where you started.

Slick ! Ah, and opposite to what legacy fanboys try to tell: Not available in legacy, in no version.

No, not at legacy fanboy lol, if you only knew... I just want something that works as well... But yes I "could" save a shortcut, and it would find and jump straight to that shortcut from anywhere and not land at the top of the freakin document.  If it was five pages down in the document... boom... it would go straight there...  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, FredJ said:

It just jumps me to the document but at the top, which I can't believe they don't have working yet...

It is working for me. If I click the link it takes me to that section in the target note. (Documents are things you attach to notes - it helps people understand if we all use the correct terminology)

There was an issue where if the link was to a collapsed section it didn't work but took you to the top of the note. My testing this morning seems to indicate this has been fixed.

10.88.4-win-ddl-public (20240514172252)
Editor: v178.1.13
Service: v1.106.1
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

It is working for me. If I click the link it takes me to that section in the target note. (Documents are things you attach to notes - it helps people understand if we all use the correct terminology)

There was an issue where if the link was to a collapsed section it didn't work but took you to the top of the note. My testing this morning seems to indicate this has been fixed.

You're right, thanks for the correction on the terminology, as I agree that it helps avoid confusion.  Thanks too for the process, I'll give that a try today and make sure I'm on the right version (I thought it was but you never know).

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks, I'll give this TOC thing I try today.  It sounds pretty cool.

4 hours ago, Mike P said:

Mine (from link in another note), takes be to TOP of target note, then I need to FIND (in the TOC) and the further click on the link i finally found.  Are you saying that you jump directly to the target SECTION in the target note? (that would be so much better!).

My TOC doesn't update... how do you update it?
(Should it eventually auto-update?  Is there an UPDATE-TOC button?)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, FredJ said:

My TOC doesn't update... how do you update it?
(Should it eventually auto-update?  Is there an UPDATE-TOC button?)

No all of the above.  Filterize MIRIP (may it rest in peace) was an app that did these things,  but got scuppered by the API changes.  I would dearly like to see it - or at least these actions come back1

Meantime,  delete your old ToC,  create a new one in its place.  :mellow:

feedback@evernote.com

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, FredJ said:

Are you saying that you jump directly to the target SECTION in the target note? (that would be so much better!).

Yes that is exactly what I am saying.

7 hours ago, Mike P said:

If I click the link it takes me to that section in the target note.

But do make sure your version is completely upto date (10.88.4) as there was a problem with folded sub sections in the past.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

Yes that is exactly what I am saying.

But do make sure your version is completely upto date (10.88.4) as there was a problem with folded sub sections in the past.

my version is 10.87.6-Mac.
are you Windows?

Screen Shot 2024-05-16 at 12.28.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-16 at 12.29.23 PM.png

Working for me - Evernote is calling it an Anchor Link. Notice the link to the right of the heading. I copied into another note and it jumped directly to the link.  I have also set up a ToC at the top of the note and if I copy the link from the ToC it also jumps to correct spot in the note.

image.thumb.png.9203a3b1cc5346ed0c9ce1e44b0c120b.png

I am on:

image.png.256d7444ef531d917b82cf7fd00d967a.png

53 minutes ago, FredJ said:

my version is 10.87.6-Mac.
are you Windows?

Never trust the "you're upto date" message. Check on the website and download from there if you are not on the most recent.

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

Never trust the "you're upto date" message. Check on the website and download from there if you are not on the most recent.

Well that's kind of wonky too, maybe they should add a "check that your version checker is up-to-date" button, so that you can check if the checker is up-to-date, before checking that the to version you are looking for is the correct version??

3 hours ago, buckethead said:

Working for me - Evernote is calling it an Anchor Link. Notice the link to the right of the heading. I copied into another note and it jumped directly to the link.  I have also set up a ToC at the top of the note and if I copy the link from the ToC it also jumps to correct spot in the note.

image.thumb.png.9203a3b1cc5346ed0c9ce1e44b0c120b.png

I am on:

image.png.256d7444ef531d917b82cf7fd00d967a.png

After upgrading to 10.88.4 it is working, I can't say reliably, but somehow it seems to work sometimes, I say about 80% of the time it goes directly to it, and the rest it throws it to the top of the target note.  This is with both collapsed and expanded.

Out of curiosity, I have noted that if I link from a section to another note, or a section in another note,), that the backlink takes me to the top of the originating note, not to the section with the link.  Do I see this right?

In anycase, while I find this a desirable and logical behavior, is there counter-information management logic that indicates this is not a good idea?

And of course, are there programming reasons not to make this work?

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Grant837 said:

Out of curiosity, I have noted that if I link from a section to another note, or a section in another note,), that the backlink takes me to the top of the originating note, not to the section with the link.  Do I see this right?

In anycase, while I find this a desirable and logical behavior, is there counter-information management logic that indicates this is not a good idea?

And of course, are there programming reasons not to make this work?

Links are either to a note or to a section within a note. Therefore I think the only logical way of doing a backlink would be to the note as there is no appropriate section. It does seem to be clever enought to realise that if you have a note with links to 2 different sections in a target note you only need one backlink in the target note. If you need to link sections together in both directions you would need to do it manually (like we did before backlinks were introduced)

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Grant837 said:

if I link from a section to another note, or a section in another note

Hmmn.  Good question!  I just borrowed a link from one note by copying the table of contents entry at the beginning of Note A and pasting it into Note B.  Now,  when I click the link in Note B I get jumped to Note A with that bookmarked section at the top of the page.   Note that I get jumped to the heading only:  it is not automatically opened to see the content.

While this seems insanely useful at first glance,  I can't think of any practical applications yet...

28 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I just borrowed a link from one note by copying the table of contents entry at the beginning of Note A and pasting it into Note B.

You can also hit the link in the section heading to copy the link to your clipboard.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Mike P said:

Links are either to a note or to a section within a note. Therefore I think the only logical way of doing a backlink would be to the note as there is no appropriate section. It does seem to be clever enought to realise that if you have a note with links to 2 different sections in a target note you only need one backlink in the target note. If you need to link sections together in both directions you would need to do it manually (like we did before backlinks were introduced)

Hey @Mike P, I am not sure I follow.  If I link from a section in one note, and that section has a unique link ID (that can be used to link directly to that section if used elsewhere), could not the backlink in the second note (or section!) you link to, not be back to the original section in the first note?  Why would it be logical to only backlink to the top level of the first note?  I am not arguing, but am trying to understand to see if I am missing something. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Good question!  I just borrowed a link from one note by copying the table of contents entry at the beginning of Note A and pasting it into Note B.  Now,  when I click the link in Note B I get jumped to Note A with that bookmarked section at the top of the page.   Note that I get jumped to the heading only:  it is not automatically opened to see the content.

While this seems insanely useful at first glance,  I can't think of any practical applications yet...

@gazumped Yes, I had discovered that too - and right now, its only a (tedious) substitute for the "backlink-to-section" feature I prefer to have.

The useful scenario is pretty basic:  I am writing up knowledge documents that include summary texts, plus links to notes/references with details - eg PDFs, Videos, and longer texts.  I have typically more than 8 sections in the main document, and its several pages long.  Right now, if I link to a note with details, when I want to return to my master document and use the backlink feature, I land at the top of that document, not the section I just left. 

I know some might say to use a table of contents at the top, and just click on the section there to go where I was, but is an extra click and disrupts the natural flow of attention. And for some of us, who forget where we linked from (eg when returning to reading after a 4-hour interruption)d, results in having to scroll the whole document to figure out where we left from.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Grant837 said:

If I link from a section in one note, and that section has a unique link ID (that can be used to link directly to that section if used elsewhere), could not the backlink in the second note (or section!) you link to, not be back to the original section in the first note?

When you add a link to a section in a target note you are not really adding that link to a section in the parent note, even though it might physically be in a section. Therefore the back link is to the parent note in general. You would need the backlink to be to the section link in the parent note and EN currently isn't clever enough to know what that is! You can of course manually add the link to the section in the parent note to the target note (like we used to before backlinks)

That's how I think it works at the  moment anyway. There is of course no reason why it couldn't be changed in the future.

• Like 1