Reminders Suddenly Missing

Go to solution Solved by Randall V,

• Level 5

This is was asked before. For me it is here on 10.87.0. If it’s not on your install, I can only assume we see another experiment by BS, and you were involuntarily selected.

IMG_1867.thumb.jpeg.2277654295ddef9d7f573dae27e95ca6.jpeg

• Level 5

Well, I actually use reminders.

Could do the same with Tasks, so no issue.

I never really dived deep into Tasks, because I run Things 3 as my task manager. It is paid for software, no subscription. Not cheap, but with one of the most innovative interfaces I ever encountered in the Apple ecosystem, and focused on task management. Reminders were just a way to bring up a note and make me perform an action on it. As I said, could do the same with tasks.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I run Things 3 as my task manager. It is paid for software, no subscription. Not cheap, but with one of the most innovative interfaces I ever encountered in the Apple ecosystem

I used Things 3 for a while.  It was fine but it never really resonated with me.  I liked Todoist better but then moved completely into Tasks once recurring tasks were added.  Tasks work for me and I happily dropped the Todoist subscription.  

Hmmm, I also use reminders, although perhaps not as intended.  I generally set an EXPIRE tag and a reminder on a note to delete it in the future (and find it with search).  Doing this with tasks is possible but it adds a bunch of items to my task list that I don't need to be looking at.

Removing items, even if used by only a few, messes up folks' workflows.

• Like 1
  • Solution

Thank you.

But it doesn't work, I turned on the filter, hit Done, and nothing happened, went back to look and it was off. Tried again and nothing happened.

I'm so tired of EN messing with the iOS app - they've changed it so many times and screwed with my workflow, making it harder and harder to use.

I've had enough; I'm going to jump ship to UpNote.

I realize this post is for iOS mobile, but I have also lost the REMINDERS function on my ANDROID mobile version 10.87.0  as of the latest update done Monday. 

As a now-retired paralegal, I've used Evernote since 2013 and over these many years use, it now runs about everything in my life and I've built up many notes/notebooks.  The REMINDERS function is the very backbone of the system.  Without it, Evernote has become (for me) essentially useless.  It would be impossible to keep on top of items which need attention today and in the future -- including those items which were originally scheduled for yesterday (or even before then) that time did not permit me to get to in a timely fashion.  Without the ability to set a REMINDER for an issue which may occur in the future (whether tomorrow or 6 months from now), I might as well place sticky-notes all over my monitor/bathroom mirror/refrigerator and carry a pencil & paper around with me.  

Does ANYONE know whether this is simply a broken update (which may be fixed in the near future) or a feature that has been removed?

Is there a workaround available?  (I've restarted my phone, but to no avail).

Thanks for any help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the release notes, there was mention that the notes with reminders would now be seen in the Calendar. They are not. Anyone seeing them there?

Catrina, I sympathize with you. I too have been using the reminder function in Evernote to implement GTD for several years. I found that when the task function was introduced, it was too limited. I suspect I could completely overhaul my use model for Evernote to make it work, but not without a significant effort.

I mainly use the Windows version, but relied on the iOS app on my iPhone and iPad. One temporary workaround I found was to launch Evernote in a browser. A bit of a challenge even on my iPhone 15, but workable on my iPad.  I hope this approach might work on your Android.

• Like 1

Thanks Gordon, that sounds like a good interim workaround for when I'm using the app on my phone. When I'm on my laptop, I'm using the Windows Desktop version (which still has the Reminders functionality -- at least as of today!).  Recently, I've debated about ditching Evernote for a competitor, which seems labor intensive -- so I've procrastinated.  I'm hoping against hope that I won't have to switch and that the powers running Evernote will come to their senses.   Unfortunately, guess we'll see if things continue to worsen.  

On 5/9/2024 at 7:39 PM, thefryhole said:

The note reminder feature is being removed. Maybe they're cutting functionality already.

tweet0426-Copy.jpg.3979a1e76280190d068143e37971ffdd.jpg

Nonsense! I use note reminders and they‘re very comfortable for me!
Where‘s the comment from Federico?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, KnutK said:

Nonsense! I use note reminders and they‘re very comfortable for me!
Where‘s the comment from Federico?

The "replies" tab on the Twitter account shows it. The comment is still there.

I also noticed (again on Android app) that if you use the FILTER function and select “Reminders”, a list of notes with reminders set up will appear, BUT there is no way to change the sort order for the Reminders lists (i.e., all notes with Reminders set will appear in random order and not in chronological order from oldest Reminder date to future Reminder dates).  If a user has a large number of notes with Reminders set up (as I do), using this Filter listing all the Reminders is basically useless, as there is no way to quickly see which notes are due today (or past due/left over from yesterday, etc.), other than attempting to scroll through a very, very long list of notes and checking each Reminder date — basically impossible.  So again, this function is basically useless as it is now.  Prior to this update to 10.87.0, the Reminders appeared in the Notes section in chronological order placed at the top of all your Notes — which was effective to organize the items you needed to accomplish by priority/date.   

Alas, per Gordon’s suggestion, it may now be necessary to revert to viewing Evernote through a web browser on my phone vs. utilizing the Android app. Definitely, not the ideal approach.

Has anyone else found a better approach (whether iOS or Android)?   Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

On 5/15/2024 at 9:36 AM, Catrina said:

I also noticed (again on Android app) that if you use the FILTER function and select “Reminders”, a list of notes with reminders set up will appear, BUT there is no way to change the sort order for the Reminders lists (i.e., all notes with Reminders set will appear in random order and not in chronological order from oldest Reminder date to future Reminder dates).  If a user has a large number of notes with Reminders set up (as I do), using this Filter listing all the Reminders is basically useless, as there is no way to quickly see which notes are due today (or past due/left over from yesterday, etc.), other than attempting to scroll through a very, very long list of notes and checking each Reminder date — basically impossible.  So again, this function is basically useless as it is now.  Prior to this update to 10.87.0, the Reminders appeared in the Notes section in chronological order placed at the top of all your Notes — which was effective to organize the items you needed to accomplish by priority/date.   

Alas, per Gordon’s suggestion, it may now be necessary to revert to viewing Evernote through a web browser on my phone vs. utilizing the Android app. Definitely, not the ideal approach.

Has anyone else found a better approach (whether iOS or Android)?   Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I found that I can view the web version on my iPhone, but on the iPad when I attempt it using the same browser, I am forced into the iOS version. This is strange as there is much more screen real estate on the iPad compared to the iPhone. Go figure 😕.

There is a method I have found that makes the iOS version not so horrible when it comes to reminders. The first step is to have all notes with reminders in a separate notebook (I call mine Action). Then on both the iPhone and the iPad I use the "Manage offline notebooks" to designate my Action notebook for offline access. On the desktop I use the sort by reminder to get things in the order I'm expecting. I also have a tag called Today for the desktop. Now I select the last note for the current day (I use the time to sequence the notes within the current day), hold down shift and click the first note for the current day. I toggle the Today tag, which forces an update to the date updated value. Now when I view my offline notebook on either the iPhone or iPad they all the ones for the current day appear at the top.

This tedious process could all be avoided if Evernote had not removed the sort by reminder date functionality from the iOS version.

I've looked a ways to get this functionality using Tasks, but that is even more tedious.

• Level 5

Go figure ...

Very simple: Choose "Desktop mode" for your browser, and you can use the web client on mobile devices. Personally I think it is quite unusable on a phone, but doing OKish on a tablet.

But still it currently makes little sense to stick with reminders. Depends on how many you need to replace, but Tasks are able to manage the same functionality, plus more.

image.thumb.png.23460acf5347047261327f10960721f1.png

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Go figure ...

Very simple: Choose "Desktop mode" for your browser, and you can use the web client on mobile devices. Personally I think it is quite unusable on a phone, but doing OKish on a tablet.

Thanks for the tip. I have been able to use it in desktop mode on both my iPhone 15 (with care) and easily on my iPad. It is made easier on the iPad with the Apple Pencil. Forgive my ignorance but, how do I choose desktop mode on my browser? Sometimes it seems to revert out of desktop mode.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

But still it currently makes little sense to stick with reminders. Depends on how many you need to replace, but Tasks are able to manage the same functionality, plus more.

I have several notes that are really checklists for actions I take on a recurring basis. Some happen daily, some weekly, etc. In each note there are several checklist items that are nested in detail. At the end of the action, say on a daily checklist, I select all the checklist items, reset the checkboxes back to empty, update the reminder date by one day and I'm ready to go. This would be tedious to set up and update using the task function. To my knowledge, tasks cannot be mass updated, and cannot be nested.

Я очень недоволен имсчезновением напоминаний в заметках, пользовался ими каждый день. Считаю грубыми решением убрать их из доступа, прошу срочно вернуть обратно и дать месяц на перенос напоминаний в задачу. А потом уже собирать. Оцениваю решение производителя убрать напоминание без учета каких-либо ограничений, которые являются профессиональными и не конструктивными!

On 5/21/2024 at 12:15 AM, PinkElephant said:

Go figure ...

image.thumb.png.23460acf5347047261327f10960721f1.png

I used EN for more than 10 years. 
For my workflow I need reminders and sorting them by date extremely. 
Please bring it back. 

• Thanks 1
On 5/9/2024 at 7:39 PM, thefryhole said:

The note reminder feature is being removed. Maybe they're cutting functionality already.

tweet0426-Copy.jpg.3979a1e76280190d068143e37971ffdd.jpg

What a statement! "Nobody" eh? Most certainly untrue. But I can understand that it is fun to break workflows of existing customer. Yeah, give it to us, Federico!

Get rid of it, like you did with so many useful features already.