Scanning to Evernote with v.10

I have read a bunch of posts on this topic but still don't feel that I've found an actual answer to this question. I am one of the last-minute converts to v.10 on Windows, so this is a new problem for me.

Is it still possible in v.10, with any scanner, to scan directly to Evernote ? I have an old ScanSnap that has just died, which I had used for a decade or more with ScanSnap Manager (never updated). Now I have to replace it. Scanning directly to Evernote has been a somewhat significant part of my use of Evernote over the years. Is there any way in which this can still be done? I really would prefer if possible not to have to deal with import folders. I have read a number of posts, and some seem to suggest that it might still be possible to do this, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer - and I can't test it since my scanner is inconveniently dead lol!

If it's not possible, what is the most efficient (quickest with least steps) procedure to get scans into Evernote, and what is the best scanner, if there is one, to use to do this?

Thanks!

• Level 5

The workflow with v10 is to scan into ScanSnap Home (which is supported), and from there save the file into an Import Folder. The file will be imported into a new note, that is named after the file. If you assign a good file name, you avoid rework with the note title.

ScanSnap Manager was updated in the past to 64bit, but is now deprecated.

A Fujitsu EN Edition scanner can be converted into a regular ix500, if this is the problem.

If you are used to the Fujitsu scanners, you maybe want one of the new ones, like an ix1600. Other brands with good feedback are Epson and Brother.

23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The workflow with v10 is to scan into ScanSnap Home (which is supported), and from there save the file into an Import Folder. The file will be imported into a new note, that is named after the file. If you assign a good file name, you avoid rework with the note title.

ScanSnap Manager was updated in the past to 64bit, but is now deprecated.

A Fujitsu EN Edition scanner can be converted into a regular ix500, if this is the problem.

If you are used to the Fujitsu scanners, you maybe want one of the new ones, like an ix1600. Other brands with good feedback are Epson and Brother.

First, does this mean that it is not possible to scan directly to Evernote? That was my first question. Is there any way at all to do this? I saw one or two references to Scansnap Cloud for example, but since I don’t know what this is, I couldn’t tell if it offered a means of scanning directly into Evernote.

Also, what you describe sounds like a somewhat cumbersome workflow. I’d have to scan into ScanSnap, then save the file to a folder. Why not scan directly to an import folder and skip the intermediate step? 

• Level 5

No, v10 doesn't allow to scan directly into a note.

Scanning directly into an Import Folder is a bad idea: While the scanner scans, it builds a file. The Import Folder has no clue that file is still work in progress, and will import it. In fact with a larger scan it will import several versions, all of them incomplete and corrupted. Only the last one will be usable.

You could use ScanSnap Cloud to scan into EN. Which means you need a mobile device to handle the operation, since the cloud application is a mobile app.

We have been there since 3 years - if you don't trust the advise, just go ahead and find out yourself. That's how we learned to dot the i's and cross the t's with the new app.

So what is it that’s different about v.10 that doesn’t permit directly scanning into Evernote? This is what I don’t get. Is it just that there was a decision made not to allow it? Or something different about the way it works? It’s so inconvenient. 

I do understand your explanation of why scanning into import folders directly doesn’t work. I’m assuming this was the same with legacy? I never scanned into an import folder with legacy, but I can’t see why it would have been any different, since scanners presumably built files in the days of legacy too.

My dead scanner was an s1300i. It served me well for so long - then suddenly, today, it just won’t turn on. I’ve tried everything i can think of.. I’ve had good luck with it so I think I’ll stick with Fujitsu.

Out of curiosity, what would happen if I got a new EN Scansnap scanner but used my current installed ScanSnap manager, which is set up to scan to Evernote, instead of Scansnap home?

My Scanner, an HP Envy, does not send the scan to my Import folder until it is completed. I can also change the Title before it is saved to the folder.

• Level 5*

I'm still using a much-abused Fujitsu S1500 with ScanSnap Manager 5.6 - the scanner has a near 30,000 page count but is still going strong.  I've always scanned to a folder,  then drag / dropped to one or more Import folders.  When using Legacy (a long while ago) I verified that scanning directly to an Import folder was a bad idea.  It is possible to avoid some of the work by using a file-management app - a little utility called DropIt! = http://www.dropitproject.com/ - forinstance can sort through a folder of scanned files and move them all to one or more different import folders (adding files to different notebooks) according to rules set by the user.  Although an old app it still works with my Win 11.

• Level 5

I‘m out here.

Everything that needs to be explained has been explained. I don’t write about the same twice - the thread is open and can be reread to understand.

If the OP wants to collect his own experience, fine with me. We all do. He can then come back and report about it.

Meanwhile I use my venerable ix500 the way I found best for me.

• Evernote Expert
9 hours ago, justacat said:

So what is it that’s different about v.10 that doesn’t permit directly scanning into Evernote? This is what I don’t get...

My dead scanner was an s1300i. It served me well for so long...

Out of curiosity, what would happen if I got a new EN Scansnap scanner but used my current installed ScanSnap manager, which is set up to scan to Evernote, instead of Scansnap home?

There are two halves to the scanning process. Both bits have to work together. The ScanSnap Manager is in the process of being withdrawn. It still works but will not be updated. I used to have it scan directly into Evernote but I had to configure that process manually. Manager is replaced with ScanSnap Home which is very different. There is a scan to Evernote process as a default profile but I chose the scan and manually move to an import folder method. You'd have to try the provided scan direct to Evernote profile to see if it works. 

I have a faithful s1300i. This is my second. The previous one failed and I found current one used on eBay.

Don't buy an Evernote edition ScanSnap. They are NOT supported and you'll have to locate the firmware update software which Fujitsu withdrew a year or so ago.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

I have a faithful s1300i. This is my second. The previous one failed and I found current one used on eBay.

My s1300i has been faithful too, for more than a decade. Now after research since last night I'm trying to decide whether to buy a used one or move to the ix1300.  The ix1600 seems like overkill for my use. But I haven't seen much mention of the ix1300.

I'd like to continue to use ScanSnap manager, supported or not, with a new ScanSnap to keep scanning directly to Evernote. But it sounds like the consensus is that using import folders is now preferable. And in that case, @bmcl26 says his HP Envy permits scanning directly to an import folder, which is very appealing as it removes one step from the process. 

4 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

My Scanner, an HP Envy, does not send the scan to my Import folder until it is completed. I can also change the Title before it is saved to the folder.

Thanks! I will definitely look into this.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, eric99 said:

I use Naps2 https://www.naps2.com/

So what does this do? It sounds like it processes the scan before saving, though I admit I just skimmed the site quickly - so does it permit you to scan directly to an import folder? Or is there a way to use it to scan directly to Evernote?

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, justacat said:

I'd like to continue to use ScanSnap manager, supported or not, with a new ScanSnap to keep scanning directly to Evernote.

To add to the confusion I am still using Scansnap manager with an ix500 and it does scan directly into Evernote v10.  After scanning it pauses, allowing me to rename the file, and then imports directly into Evernote with the note name the same as the file name.  It does this without using an import folder.  I had problems with import folders in the past, so even though Scansnap manager is no longer supported, I’ll keep using this for now.

16 minutes ago, justacat said:

So what does this do? It sounds like it processes the scan before saving, though I admit I just skimmed the site quickly - so does it permit you to scan directly to an import folder? Or is there a way to use it to scan directly to Evernote?

yes, it allows you to scan directly into an import folder if you want, although I don't use that myself (I add a meaningful title first and save it to the default folder, an evernote import folder). It is a very powerful tool with OCR, PDF encryption, PDF manipulations...)

• Level 5

If you use ScanSnap Home (or Manager, but it’s deprecated) you scan into the software. You can do there in the Fujitsu app what is described for the 3rd party software (size, DPI, rotation, erase pages, OCR etc). Then you give it a „good“ name and save into an Import Folder.

The latest releases of ScanSnap Home look a lot like the older ScanSnap Manager.

The only difference I see is that Naps2 says it allows scanner access over a network. The Fujitsu scanners (except the newest ones) are by concept local scanners, working together with a connected computer where the ScanSnap software is running.

This even when the connection is via WiFi, and the scanner has an IP address in the local network. For my setup it is not relevant. And Naps2 needs to be hosted somewhere as well.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

f you use ScanSnap Home (or Manager, but it’s deprecated) you scan into the software. You can do there in the Fujitsu app what is described for the 3rd party software (size, DPI, rotation, erase pages, OCR etc). Then you give it a „good“ name and save into an Import Folder.

Yes, I understand this. You have explained multiple times now the way you do it and that you think it’s the best way. I understand. But I am trying to hear from other users, as there are clearly those who do it successfully in other ways that I, personally, may prefer, for *my* use of Evernote, folders, note titles, etc.  You can keep doing it the way you like best, but it might not be the way that makes most sense for me.

• Level 5

This post was not directed at you.

If I understood it correctly, your current scanner is dead. It may be better to think about what scanner to get, instead of loosing yourself in the finer details of other people workflows.

Scanning directly into EN is not possible with v10, independently from the scanner you choose.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Scanning directly into EN is not possible with v10

That is incorrect.  It is possible as long as one is willing to use Scansnap manager.

• Level 5

As long as you have ScanSnap Manager as a go-in-between, the scanning path is never direct.

You scan Scanner - Scanner App (desktop) - Evernote (local client).

Even ScanSnap Cloud is more direct: It scans Scanner - Scanner App (mobile) - Evernote (server via API).

• Level 5*

I think we may be splitting hairs.

The question was can Scansnap manager still be used, and the answer is, yes, it can, and @justacat can tell us what they mean by direct.  I took it to mean without going through a cloud app.

• Level 5

Nice - just tried a new profile in ScanSnap Home. Scan To Evernote - it actually does exactly this, to the local client.

Positive may be it creates a note directly from the scan, without an intermediate folder. To be more precise, it saves a copy of the file into a local folder, that needs to be specified in the profile. But it then uses this file directly to create a note.

Negative is it creates the note directly after the scan - if the file name is no good, you need to rename the pdf file, and change the note title.

So they build this into ScanSnap Home in one of the last updates, which is OK for me - even I I don't intend to use it, since I prefer to name the file properly to avoid the rework in EN.

51 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I think we may be splitting hairs.

The question was can Scansnap manager still be used, and the answer is, yes, it can, and @justacat can tell us what they mean by direct.  I took it to mean without going through a cloud app.

Yes “we” are splitting hairs. By ”direct” I mean the workflow I’ve used in Legacy for a decade or more. I set the profile in ScanSnap manager for the scans to go to Evernote. I put the paper in the scanner, press the scan button, and the pdf appears as a note in Evernote. That’s what I mean. Whatever the ScanSnap manager is doing, *I* don’t have to move any files from folder to folder, and I don’t have a useless file in a folder on my desktop that I then have to delete. I do have to rename the file in Evernote (unless there’s some way with Manager that I never discovered to name it before it’s saved), but that’s it.

That is what I mean by direct. And it sounds like it *is* still possible with older versions of ScanSnap manager.

7 hours ago, s2sailor said:

To add to the confusion I am still using Scansnap manager with an ix500 and it does scan directly into Evernote v10.  After scanning it pauses, allowing me to rename the file, and then imports directly into Evernote with the note name the same as the file name.  It does this without using an import folder.  I had problems with import folders in the past, so even though Scansnap manager is no longer supported, I’ll keep using this for now.

What version of ScanSnap manager are you using, do you know? I am fairly sure I never updated mine from the original when I bought my scanner lol - I just never thought about it. I can’t remember if it came on a cd or if I downloaded it. But I don’t think my version has the pause for renaming, though I may just never have discovered it. I just rename the notes after they’re in Evernote. I’ve always been mostly concerned with getting them in Evernote as expeditiously as possible, since one of my primary uses of Evernote is for paperless recordkeeping - which requires much less scanning these days than it used to!

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, justacat said:

What version of ScanSnap manager are you using

I'm using 7.2 L60.  Snapscan manager does save to a file first.  You can set whether in pdf or jpg format and there is an option to rename the file after scanning.  I find that a little easier than renaming in Evernote, and I also don't mind having a backup file saved outside of Evernote.