evernote app version 8.13.3 no longer works

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

because i am using an old samsung phone on android 8
i have been reluctant to upgrade my evernote app version from 8.13.3
especially not knowing whether the new evernote version will be compatible with android 8

however the inevitable came just before Easter 2024
evernote (app version 8.13.3) no longer sync with my phone on android 8 
it indicates network error which is not true
given there is no network error with any other apps on the same phone

the "update app" option disappeared no matter where i look
and before i uninstall the existing version 8.13.3 and install the latest one
i noticed that the latest app seems to be only working with android 10+ and not even android 9

is there any evernote apk version that i can install to continue the use of evernote on my phone on android 8?
or any other feasible alternatives to overcome the above issue?

like most people i pay my evernote premium subscription to demonstrate my loyalty
yet if i am unable to use the app on any older devices (as i do possess a few like everyone else)
then it will be a true disappointment

thank you for the kind assistance from anyone ~
best regards

• Level 5*

Hi.  What do you use your app for?  If you're sending images or web clips to the app you can use your Evernote email address to share information from Android 8 with your account without needing the app.  If you're looking up information from your notes I'm afraid v10 will not work with Android 8 however you install it.  It will work with Android 9 and above.  If you have an old device with a large enough screen you could use the web browser to view notes from Evernote.com

18 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You need to switch the browser to desktop mode on mobile devices. Then try again.

I found it unusable on phones, and quite ok on tablets.

Thank you so much for sharing..
this works perfectly although as kind suggested, it is really painful to use on phone
however something that works is better than nothing (especially in desperation)
many thanks and truly grateful for the great sharing

On 4/2/2024 at 9:35 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  What do you use your app for?  If you're sending images or web clips to the app you can use your Evernote email address to share information from Android 8 with your account without needing the app.  If you're looking up information from your notes I'm afraid v10 will not work with Android 8 however you install it.  It will work with Android 9 and above.  If you have an old device with a large enough screen you could use the web browser to view notes from Evernote.com

thank you for the kind sharing
i am only using evernote for notes taking

i also tried to access evernote web via chrome 121.0.6167.143 on my android8 phone
yet encountered the following error:
"sorry we dont support your browser at this moment”

i believe evernote web does support any chrome version 108+
so unsure how to resolve the web access issue

thank you for your kind assistance in advance
best regards 

Same trouble here since the 1st of april, and for the very same reason: Android 8 smartphone.

Evernote team never informed us that the new version will imply Android 9+.

That's really a shame, considering I don't care of any new features: I just need my notes to be synced to my smartphone and easily readable from an app, not from a web browser running on my smartphone!

There is clearly no technical difficulty to maintain the sync for older devices while offering new features to only 9.0+ devices. 

We are today very, very far from the fine customer policy the Palm company offered to their customers, when M5xx and Tungsten PDA were used... 😞

Regards.

• Level 5

You run an unsupported OS, want to run an unsupported client on it and claim you have not been informed ?!

About what ? Android 8 is out of support since I don’t know when (but usually a maximum of 2 years after the successor is released). All EN clients are out of support since 2020.

Long enough, I assume.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You run an unsupported OS, want to run an unsupported client on it and claim you have not been informed ?!

About what ? Android 8 is out of support since I don’t know when (but usually a maximum of 2 years after the successor is released). All EN clients are out of support since 2020.

Long enough, I assume.

With the soft sauce of diplomacy on top of that, but as harsh and truthful a reality my friend @PinkElephant describes. If you think you are not informed, you are out of sync to what is to be expected. I understand that. You expect an unsupported legacy version to function correctly on an unsupported out of date version of OS. I understand it is a big hit/set-back that it doesn't work anyore from that expectation. The world however, has an implicit contract with end-users, that unsupported OS-es are a no-go and unsupported versions of software are a no-go. That will not function as desired. I understand you want that to, it is the same as buying a smart TV and every year other smart options stop working...or the feelign you have just bought a wonderful couch set, which you expect to function until end of time, only with some slow visible wear and tear.... But the IT world is different. We can disagree to that, we can be angry with that, but it is a fact of life.......Software stuff keeps working as long as it is paid for, AND the OS is supported AND the hardware is supported AND it is kept up to date AND the requirements like memory/hardware/infra/connection/internet is supported AND the team developing it happens to be capable and foreseeing enough to keep the product working for accidentallly YOUR workflow......

If ANY, I say ANY of these 'AND' requirements do not meet realitity, then it will not work for you as you want, AND even if you pay for it, you are out of luck...... That is the harsh reality. So not like your couch, not like your airfryer you buy, not like an oldfashioned CRT television. It's a new world. You and what you feel is not going to change anything about that. It is like it is. You are at the mercy of how the company develivers things and how their dev team is capable of doing so. Accept it....or leave...sadly enough.

Me? I am sticking around. Happy with Evernote? 6 out of 10. A year ago 3 out of 10. So I am sticking around. But as are you, I'm in the hands of Bending Spoonds/Evernote, their devs, their PO, their ecosystem. Not good enough? I have to leave. Good enough now? I'll stay..for now...this is the case for now. Good enough later? Maybe I'll leave. I'm sticking around. Paying. Júst barely happy enough with the quality.trustworthyness. Happy to pay for it......Hopeful for the future. I give them a chance. You? Maybe not. Maybe not now. Maybe later... Choose yourself. 🙂 

(Disclaimer: Bit drunk, so not usable for a lawsuit against me.....)

5 horas atrás, Mickski disse:

That's really a shame, considering I don't care of any new features: I just need my notes to be synced to my smartphone and easily readable from an app, not from a web browser running on my smartphone!

When version 10 of Evernote was released in 2020, it was announced that it would only work on Android 10 or higher. Some time later it started working on Android 9.

If your use is simple and you can't buy a new phone, you will have to switch to another application. UpNote looks interesting. Why don't you test it?

7 hours ago, Mickski said:

Same trouble here since the 1st of april, and for the very same reason: Android 8 smartphone.

There is clearly no technical difficulty to maintain the sync for older devices while offering new features to only 9.0+ devices. 

We are today very, very far from the fine customer policy the Palm company offered to their customers, when M5xx and Tungsten PDA were used... 😞

Regards.

good morning and same here.

i have multiple legacy devices and all i need is for evernote to sync across them that's all.
all they need to do is to announce that they no longer support old versions
but absolutely no need to disable them including the sync functionality.

it is really a shame given that i demonstrated my loyalty by paying a small fortune for the premium subscription
despite the deteriorating performance and increasing bugs :(

have a lovely weekend

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It is not a shame to stop syncing clients that were deprecated more than 3 years ago.

Unsupported software has a risk of developing unidentified breaches. Letting such clients sync with a cloud server would be bad practice, for those using them and potentially even for the whole community hosted on these servers.

If you decided to run these unsupported clients, be happy about the time donated while it lasted.

You can now evaluate the new clients, and decide about your personal strategy for your content.

On 4/5/2024 at 11:16 PM, PinkElephant said:

It is not a shame to stop syncing clients that were deprecated more than 3 years ago.

Unsupported software has a risk of developing unidentified breaches. Letting such clients sync with a cloud server would be bad practice, for those using them and potentially even for the whole community hosted on these servers.

If you decided to run these unsupported clients, be happy about the time donated while it lasted.

You can now evaluate the new clients, and decide about your personal strategy for your content.

Bla, bla, bla... What you are writing here is as useful as void...

On 4/5/2024 at 8:51 PM, Cristiano478 said:

If your use is simple and you can't buy a new phone, you will have to switch to another application. UpNote looks interesting. Why don't you test it?

Thank you for this suggestion, the only interesting and valuable answer so far in this topic.

I'll have a look. But if I'm not able to migrate my Evernote content to this new software, this will unfortunately of weak utility.