Evernote 7 stopped

Today Evernote 7 was finally stopped and i had to install 10.81. I just hate this version. How can they remove the most important feature of SPELL AUTO CORRECT. It was so good. Don't these product managers understand its not about some fancy show-off but the productivity that matters most. 

Done with the app

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

They didn't.

XSPELLCHECK.thumb.jpg.77609b374d70833cb0053a55ded2ca7b.jpg

Not this, Earlier the spell correction worked 'on-the-go' in the legacy app. Moreover the new version is WAY SLOWER, be it the app, Notes or anything. I don't know how others are managing it. 

I wish they had still kept going with legacy app, esp after the huge bump in premium prices. The app now just doesn't seem worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There is spell check (this you asked for intitially), but no auto correct. That’s 2 different features. I get a proposal, and can employ it with a click.

The app will be slower than usual on the first days. Until it has downloaded everything, and build the local database you practically run from the cloud server. To speed up the process, keep the app running in the background whenever you use the computer.

Another issue is the data conversion from the legacy structure to the new data format. This happens when a note is opened for the first time in v10. It can take a few seconds (no more than 5), and should happen only once.

• Level 5

You know it all, do you ?

• Open app from not running to Home Screen: 2-3 seconds.
  • Open random note from notes list: 1-2 seconds.
  • Most activities inside of a note are so fast that you can’t measure them without specialized tools (below a second).

I could go on. The v10 apps are in general completely usable and snappy. The only operations that may take a little longer are multiple note operations. Here it helps to take the app offline before running such activities.

It seems what’s hopeless are your attempts to pull everything into a negative light. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5

What about I posted is too slow for you ?

Open app in 2-3 seconds ?
Open note in 1-2 seconds ?
Activities in sub second time ?

You just make a lot of words, but you don't tell which action you "need" faster.

Seems you don't know.

• Confused 1
13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There is spell check (this you asked for intitially), but no auto correct. That’s 2 different features. I get a proposal, and can employ it with a click.

The app will be slower than usual on the first days. Until it has downloaded everything, and build the local database you practically run from the cloud server. To speed up the process, keep the app running in the background whenever you use the computer.

Another issue is the data conversion from the legacy structure to the new data format. This happens when a note is opened for the first time in v10. It can take a few seconds (no more than 5), and should happen only once.

"I get a proposal, and can employ it with a click." Didnt get this. Is there a workaround for AUTO-CORRECT?

Is there a way to use earlier 10 versions. I dowloaded earlier version but its auto-updates it to the latest version. 

If i try to run another instance, it shows client not supported. Have they stopped all the earlier version of 10 too?

8 hours ago, ben353253 said:

That is an unacceptable note loading time for fast work but more importantly note opening is often far slower than that: I sometimes wait at least 10 seconds for a simple note containing an image to open. Completely unusable.

The whole app is slow, laggy and janky. The left hand nav is slow and laggy to scroll and "slips" on scroll.

Scrolling through note list is janky and slow. No caching of images which are slow to appear *every time*.

No clue what they were thinking coding the app in this way: nothing is local, clearly and everything is simply online; it's a web app feels as slow as a bad web app. Web apps can be well done, eg see Gmail; this one is not. But you may as well use the web app as it's equally slow.

There are dozens of posts daily on this forum are saying exactly what I'm saying and far worse, as you well know. You think we're all making this up? You think there's something wrong with all our systems? I'm done explaining this to you: I'm not sure what you don't understand and I can't help you understand if you want to consistently deny facts.

So others are feeling too and its not just me, i guess. 

Can't deny, this slow nature does give a bad web app feel currently. And it's not about counting seconds, as a user the overall experience has been bad. I expect bare minimum v7 performance from any update, but it's far from that. Be it opening note, editing it, etc, the entire thing has far lesser productivity than v7. Moreover removing existing features like auto-correct is quite annoying. Why just remove useful features like these.

Are there any good alternatives that have been discussed. I have decent amount of notes currently. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

What about I posted is too slow for you ?

Open app in 2-3 seconds ?
Open note in 1-2 seconds ?
Activities in sub second time ?

You just make a lot of words, but you don't tell which action you "need" faster.

Seems you don't know.

Hellow my pink friend (no irony here, I genuinely like you and you helped me a lot on top of that).

Evernote v10 when changing tags, when switching views is much, much slower than Evernote legacy. Opening a note in 1-2 seconds compared to <200ms in Legacy is for me a delay which hurts my process. I believe it many times is a multiple of 2 seconds, for new notes, no conversion, fully synced (as far as is possible with the current bug that seems to exist in offline syncing). 10.80.x seems to be hanging also every now and then, freezing up. But that's new. I hope they fix that soon.

Imagine I open bursts of notes, like 4 notes, docked to each corner of my screen. Copy-pasting data in between them, changing a bunch of tags, closing them, opening another 2 tot 4, docking them, changing tags, Editing data. Then repeating that process.

Then the current Evernote is slow. Slower than my own brain at least. That's not the level I want for a second brain. On top of that, like you said,  the multi-note actions, like batch changing tags, or merging are creepily slow compared to legacy. So there are usecases where it is really annoying to use v10. 🙂 But.... The upside... It got much faster, and went from unusable to hindering/annoying the past 6 months for me. I hope next 6 months they bring it to the level of speed I am used to and desire.

• Like 5
  • Level 5*

Sadly I'm one of the ones with the 'right' hardware and processes to think that Evernote is outstanding.  Everything opens instantaneously - with occasional exceptions of  course;  but the usual experience is speed.  It is getting better...

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Sadly I'm one of the ones with the 'right' hardware and processes to think that Evernote is outstanding.  Everything opens instantaneously - with occasional exceptions of  course;  but the usual experience is speed.  It is getting better...

Sadly? Happily! ♥️ I just hope the community of people like me stays large enough, such that Evernote will keep investing in a faster tool for our usecases. 

• Like 4

I've had mixed results with speed over the years. v10 has never been as quick as Legacy, but at times it has been good enough for me.

Just now though, I clicked on an internal link and nothing happens, wait 5 seconds and it dumps me to the "Home" page. I click the back button and it takes me to the internal link I clicked on in the first place. That whole process took 7 or 8 seconds. Sometimes if I click again on the link before it dumps me to "Home" it will load all the notes and take me to a random note and then I can click the back button and it will take me to the right now and I can save a couple of seconds. This is on 10.82.2 of Mac Desktop direct download.

I bring up the 'Switch To' command and 'switch' to filter by a different tag -- nope it keeps me at the same filtered tag. So I repeat the 'Switch To' command and this second time it works. I click on a note in that filtered-by-tag list and it loads that note ok, then I click on an internal link and instead of taking me to that note, it dumps me in the notebook and takes me to the fist note in the list.

Perhaps it's my use of 'Switch To' and tags that is different at the moment here from many of you. I don't use notebooks as I organize by tag instead and I generally use the 'Switch To' command to find things vs the regular search in the side bar.

• Sad 1
29 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Perhaps it's my use of 'Switch To' and tags that is different at the moment here from many of you. I don't use notebooks as I organize by tag instead and I generally use the 'Switch To' command to find things vs the regular find dialog.

I use it the same way. It is miss or hit. Also, there seems to be a bug when choosing a tag, it shows the last note that was shown instead of all the notes of that tag, when using "Switch to". Also jumping from note to note is troublesome many times, when you do that often and fast. If you slow down your own actions, it works better. But then you have to reduce your own speed to 25% of what I normally do. I recognize your problems. I work the same way, with hundreds of tags (much more powerful than notebooks). It provides multi-dimensional organizing. About half of the delays in many places are random. Today, I've been editting hundreds of notes again, changing tags and such. My Evernote (again) is in some state of delayed index updating of the DB. I get the feeling I use more changes than the API accepts calls per hour, or something like that....and then Evernote needs loads of time to catch up with what I do.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
16 minutes ago, ben353253 said:

I would in fact posit - a least based on a few profile pics here and putting two and two together - that the divide on whether Evernote V10 is fast enough seems so go down demographic lines to an extent. Older users seem to find the speed of the app perfectly acceptable. So I wonder if that's what's going on here. 

Hey -- I'm an older user and I think the speed of v10 is intolerable. 🙂 

I wish I could say it's getting better, but it's not. I uninstalled, AppCleaned, and reinstalled. It still sucks.

I spend several minutes of every day now waiting for sync to catch up with me. Because god forbid we be allowed to sync manually.

And of course, there's the small matter of offering absolutely no support to customers who are now paying significantly more for the "enhanced" product.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, kkarney said:

I spend several minutes of every day now waiting for sync to catch up with me.

Without wishing to further upset the young'uns around here,  I can have the installed and web apps on my desktop,  and the Android app open on my tablet,  and if they're all on the same note,  any changes ripple across all three screens within seconds no matter which one I change.  I'm NOT claiming that's normal and the rest of the world is lying,  just commenting that's how it works for me.  Maybe when (if) Support gets their act back together,  they'll be able to look into individual cases. 

Meantime all anyone can do - as you obviously have - is to fix up their local connection as best possible and wait it out,  or find a better provider and move on.

I did see today that the 'help' pages are being worked on - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us - so clearly something is happening in the background...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, ben353253 said:

You don't have to answer every post you disagree with

Not even going to say it.

You just sent a word-salad response to a post of mine imputing emotions and intentions which I do not have.  I'm trying to have an intelligent conversation; unfortunately all the background noise just gets in the way.

-And you didn't answer the question.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Without wishing to further upset the young'uns around here,  I can have the installed and web apps on my desktop,  and the Android app open on my tablet,  and if they're all on the same note,  any changes ripple across all three screens within seconds no matter which one I change.  I'm NOT claiming that's normal and the rest of the world is lying,  just commenting that's how it works for me.  Maybe when (if) Support gets their act back together,  they'll be able to look into individual cases. 

What about saved searches? For instance, I have a saved search based on a specific notebook and two specific tags. If I remove a tag or move a note to another notebook, it can take up to 15 minutes for the saved search to reflect those changes -- the note will still be there for quite a while until some kind of magic syncing happens. On Legacy, the automatic sync generally reflected these changes within a few seconds (and I could always manually sync if I was feeling really impatient).

Editing or creating new notes is definitely quicker to sync. Not always within seconds, but not totally unreasonable (although I really do wish I could manually sync whenever I damn well please).

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, ben353253 said:

I would in fact posit - a least based on a few profile pics here and putting two and two together - that the divide on whether Evernote V10 is fast enough seems so go down demographic lines to an extent. Older users seem to find the speed of the app perfectly acceptable. So I wonder if that's what's going on here. 

Wow.

1 hour ago, ben353253 said:

Look back at the archives here and try to find such user experience disparities with Legacy et al. You won't find them as you know. It was the same for everybody

Not so much.  In the early 20 teens these forums were rife with speed complaints.  Solution in those days was to upgrade to SSD. Actually, speed issues back in the day were mostly fixed with hardware not software. Just setting the record straight.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, ben353253 said:

Well sure back in the spinning HDD drives access was slower and speed less consistent and reliable. But like you say it was a hardware issue and that just doesn't seem to be what's going on here. The fact that you can go to any browser on any machine and have the same slow experience as on your desktop version says there's something fundamentally wrong with their architecture. It feels to me as though nothing is cached locally.

Hard to say back then, but I think speed may have been a software issue as well.  The hardware simply over powered the problem, caching or whatever it might have been..  I think this as just about anyone who switched to SSD saw significant speed improvement.  

Electron gets mixed reviews and I am not knowledgeable to have an informed opinion.  I do have an opinion on having to phone home for all activities though.  If sync is not right now then searches are incomplete post changes, for some time, from seconds to many seconds.  If a use case involves editing and searching in succession, not so good.   A local client and database never had the issue for me.

Sync lag and the loss of local notebooks  with V10 were enough to get me to exit.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2