Evernote menu and windows controls gone

Hi,

Today when I opened Evernote, the windows controls and the menu bar were gone. I've closed and restarted, and pressed F11 to go back and forth between full screen. Nothing has helped so far. I am on the latest version (Evernote updates regularly - however, without access to the menu, I can't check the exact version). Can you please advise as to how to get them back. Thank you.

image.thumb.png.baf39c27ca80e3b02e1ef0c767454a97.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Not sure what magic happened to remove the menu bars,  but if you right-click the elephant icon on your taskbar you should get a 'quit' option to close the app,  or you could use Task Manager to close the window and/ or click the window to select it and Alt+F4 will close it.  Then a system restart might solve some problems...

Hi Gazumped,

Thanks for your note. I tried all of those steps, and unfortunately, the menus are still missing. If you or anyone else has any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

Gordon

• Level 5

There have been several other reports of this, maybe in this forum: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/53-evernote-general-discussions/. At any rate, searching around the forums should find one or two other threads--but I'm not sure if anyone found a solution. It's really mysterious, frankly. I hope those who experience this will report it to support: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action.

On 3/11/2024 at 6:44 PM, GordonR said:

Hi,

Today when I opened Evernote, the windows controls and the menu bar were gone. I've closed and restarted, and pressed F11 to go back and forth between full screen. Nothing has helped so far. I am on the latest version (Evernote updates regularly - however, without access to the menu, I can't check the exact version). Can you please advise as to how to get them back. Thank you.

Same problem here on Windows, latest Evernote Version V10.80.2.
I submitted a support-ticket.

(2024-03-13)(hb)_evernote_Windows_V10.80.2_missing_menu__.png

Evernote just upgraded to Evernote V10.79.3 - so my installation may still be cycling through upgrades. But, the windows controls and the menu are back. 

Don't know what caused the original issue.

36 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@ChristianJB spotted it: without announcement in the release notes, the new version 10.80, which introduces collapsible sections, apparently also replaces the menu bar across the top with a 3-line menu at top left. Less keyboard, more mouse. 😝

My Problem is, that on one of my pcs, a tablet-pc with windows 10 32 bit. the hamburger menu doesn´t react, when i click on it or touch it.

Full uninstall with revo didn´t help.

Is there a way to get logs for support without the menu?

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Spark594 said:

Is there a way to get logs for support without the menu?

You could check in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\logs\

• Thanks 1
On 3/11/2024 at 7:44 PM, GordonR said:

Hi,

I have the same issue 

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

You could check in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\logs\

Thank you, i have found a evernote.log file there and attached it to my support-ticket.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ChristianJB said:

This is a new feature, look at the hamburger menu at the top left... 

Thanks for this advice. Unfortunately with Evernote V10.80.2 on Windows 11 , clicking on the hamburger icon does not result in something.
I checked the log file in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\logs\   like gazumped proposed it.
Obviously the following line in the log entry is what was caused by clicking on the "hamburger-icon":

{"name":"electron.main","hostname":"xxxxxx","pid":17044,"topicName":"boron:MenuBuilder","level":50,"msg":"boron:MenuBuilder Error during building menu for window type 0 with id 2: TypeError: Error processing argument at index 2, conversion failure from ","time":"2024-03-13T21:56:42.650Z","v":0}

8 hours ago, janndk said:

Zoom also causes trouble. If you zoom in or out, the hamburger menu stops working.

Thanks for this !! 
Indeed I have had a zoom activated. Since I have reset the zoom with CTRL+0  the hamburger-icon does what it should - the menu opens !

• Like 5
19 hours ago, janndk said:

Zoom also causes trouble. If you zoom in or out, the hamburger menu stops working.

2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Take a look through the thread at the information and suggestions.

Thank you very much

• Level 5*
On 3/16/2024 at 5:51 PM, christopherqu said:

Another bug with the last update I assume. 

People disliked the burger menu version.  Evernote changed it in the latest version (10.80.3).  What bug?

11 minutes ago, gazumped said:

People

And people liked it (myself included). Evernote support said it will return, but further testing needs to happen.

• Like 1

To regain full functionality, I found it necessary to download the most recent version of Evernote and install (I did not need to do uninstall first for this to work). Despite attempting to close fullscreen (F11) and the window (Alt + F4), as well as using task manager options, I encountered no success. It's my belief that the updater was possibly stuck, prompting the need for manual intervention. While I didn't verify this, I hope this helps anyone in their troubleshooting journey.