How to keep Legacy available (for reference only) after Mar 23rd

Go to solution Solved by CalS,

Per EN's death-blow announcement "On that date, all versions of Evernote released prior to v10 on macOS, Windows, and Android will stop working."

What exactly does stop working mean?  Can I keep Legacy installed & use it for reference only after that date?  If so, does anyone know how?  I realize that some suggestions may have been proposed in various threads, but I wanted a single thread for users to be able to find this info.

Yes, I've already submitted this question to support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't think you can. You won't be able to login after the date so the only option will be web and Version 10.

Some folks talk about isolating legacy from the web to stop the kill-switch coming in but I'm not so sure about this myself. There's a chanve legacy will try and phone home and if it can't reach home X amount of times it will log out.

Do something before the date whatever it is especially if you have local-only notebooks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Basically, make sure you are logged into EN before the time comes.  From that point forward:

1. NEVER be connected to the internet when you open EN or EN is open
  2. NEVER log of out EN, ONLY File - Exit after using the reference.  And you may have to go to task manager to stop the EN clipper task.

You can block EN with a firewall rule or simply go to Airplane mode when you want to access the reference.  This should prevent the legacy client from connecting to the server.  In theory, this stand alone version will last as long as your device.  It's a band aid.

Additional option, belts and suspenders,  is to export all your notebooks to HTML and use native search for reference.  All of your attachments will be in the export as well.  Sample below of what it looks like on Windows.  If you use Windows Indexing on the export folders you can search contents as well, very fast.  I think there is a Mac alternative.  Pretty slick for a reference library.  And you have the HTML of the notes to take elsewhere if you like.  FWIW.

image.thumb.png.a2ed6d8a3c40dcde3e666ba3031eb2e1.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for your replies, much better than support's answer of "Logging in won't be possible, so you won't be able to keep using the legacy client, even for reference purposes."

@CalS I'm not familiar with firewall details, do you know how to block EN (Legacy) with a firewall rule?   It sounds like your HTML example is my best alternative though, I'll definitely look into how that works.  Thanks for the example!

• Level 5

It depends on the device and OS you use, and if it is the generic firewall of the OS or more advanced stuff, like the one that comes with an Internet Security Suite. The basic concept is that you blacklist the server to which an app connects, to stop any outgoing traffic.

The details should be found in a Google search for the firewall used.

To be able to access the local install you need to be logged in before the ultimate date, and before you block traffic by the firewall.

• Level 5*
  • Solution
59 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

Thank you both for your replies, much better than support's answer of "Logging in won't be possible, so you won't be able to keep using the legacy client, even for reference purposes."

@CalS I'm not familiar with firewall details, do you know how to block EN (Legacy) with a firewall rule?   It sounds like your HTML example is my best alternative though, I'll definitely look into how that works.  Thanks for the example!

Used for a different purpose back in the day, but the instructions are the same.  Yeah, HTML is safer.  One oops with firewall or airplane mode and Legacy is gone post 3/23.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s186/client/snv?isnewsnv=true&noteGuid=ec05ed88-ae37-457d-b188-399615a71449&noteKey=00e5278c5643d9fe&sn=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evernote.com%2Fshard%2Fs186%2Fsh%2Fec05ed88-ae37-457d-b188-399615a71449%2F00e5278c5643d9fe&title=Fixing%2BEvernote%2BWindows%2BClient%2BFreeze-up

• Like 1

I've had a chance to test exporting to different formats & agree that @CalS advice on using HTML is an excellent option that works perfectly for me to be able to have a fully-intact, accessible, independent copy of every note & every attachment I have in EN Legacy.  For me, 'Export Individual Notebooks as Multiple Web Pages' works best.  I can then use a VERY AWESOME, free little app called Everything (search tool) to quickly find what I need.

Here's a few key points I found in the HTML files:

• they contain accurate dates, tags & formatting
  • can copy text from them
  • images can be dragged to desktop
  • PDFs cannot be dragged, but can be opened by dbl-clicking (or files can be found in the note's associated folder)
  • external links still work
  • internal (EN) links
    • work to notes in the same notebook (HTML parent folder)
    • do not work to links in other notebooks (not in the HTML parent folder) but open V10 (but not to the linked note)
  • links to local computer file locations (paths) do not work
  • image markups remain intact, but are not editable

Thanks again @CalS, having this solution has relieved about 4 billion pounds of stress off my back right now! 

• Like 1
On 3/2/2024 at 2:01 PM, CalS said:

Basically, make sure you are logged into EN before the time comes.  From that point forward:

1. NEVER be connected to the internet when you open EN or EN is open
  2. NEVER log of out EN, ONLY File - Exit after using the reference.  And you may have to go to task manager to stop the EN clipper task.

You can block EN with a firewall rule or simply go to Airplane mode when you want to access the reference.  This should prevent the legacy client from connecting to the server.  In theory, this stand alone version will last as long as your device.  It's a band aid.

Additional option, belts and suspenders,  is to export all your notebooks to HTML and use native search for reference.  All of your attachments will be in the export as well.  Sample below of what it looks like on Windows.  If you use Windows Indexing on the export folders you can search contents as well, very fast.  I think there is a Mac alternative.  Pretty slick for a reference library.  And you have the HTML of the notes to take elsewhere if you like.  FWIW.

image.thumb.png.a2ed6d8a3c40dcde3e666ba3031eb2e1.png

Sorry if this is a dumb question - is this a single or multipage html export? I've never done html export before and I'm not entirely certain I understand the difference. I think single page will give me one page for all 6000 notes in one notebook, if I understand correctly? But maybe I don't!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, justacat said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question - is this a single or multipage html export? I've never done html export before and I'm not entirely certain I understand the difference. I think single page will give me one page for all 6000 notes in one notebook, if I understand correctly? But maybe I don't!

The below will create an HTML file and a folder (if the note has attachments) in the export folder for each note in the export set.   Easier to access individual notes thin way.

• Be sure and update Options via the button for all of the meta data you want to include. 
  • Best to do a notebook at a time or all. 
  • Best to use an Export folder only once.  There is a risk of duplicates if you export to the same folder twice.

My method was to export by notebook as I did not have that many notebooks though I did have 60k notes.  This provides some structure.  But if you have less than a couple thousand notes should be fine to export them all to a folder something like EN HTML BU 2024.03.07.  Then you can search and view to your heart's content.

image.png.92d48f1c3710950c7eb3f70f9283f9de.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, enfan-01 said:

Thanks again @CalS, having this solution has relieved about 4 billion pounds of stress off my back right now! 

You've made my day!  Anytime 4 billion pounds of stress is removed it's gotta be a good thing!

FYI.  If you apply Windows Indexing to the root of your HTML folder(s) you can then search the contents of the HTML and folders via File Explorer.  It is fast.  This is helpful if you want to do a tag search for example.

6 hours ago, CalS said:

You've made my day!  Anytime 4 billion pounds of stress is removed it's gotta be a good thing!

FYI.  If you apply Windows Indexing to the root of your HTML folder(s) you can then search the contents of the HTML and folders via File Explorer.  It is fast.  This is helpful if you want to do a tag search for example.

Is there a way to search specifically for tags? If you have many thousands of notes in a folder, and tag called something common like, I don't know, "car," searching for "car" could pull up a lot of notes that have the word car in them but aren't tagged "car."

Though actually, now that I think about it, I don't really even know how Windows indexing works - what does it index and what can you search? File/folder name? Contents? Can you use search syntax?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, justacat said:

Is there a way to search specifically for tags? If you have many thousands of notes in a folder, and tag called something common like, I don't know, "car," searching for "car" could pull up a lot of notes that have the word car in them but aren't tagged "car."

Though actually, now that I think about it, I don't really even know how Windows indexing works - what does it index and what can you search? File/folder name? Contents? Can you use search syntax?

Windows indexing isn't too complicated.  Press the Windows key, type Ind and indexing and Indexing Options should appear.  Hit enter and you should see a panel like the one below. 

1. Click modify and select the folders (root folder will include all the sub folders) you want indexed.
  2. Click Advanced - File Types and click the the Index Properties and File Contents button.
  3. I only index the folders I will be searching.
  4. The indexing is running in the background and doesn't use much resource with focused locations.

image.png.cbe1a610171fbca7af3a4a4191bb06fc.png

Relative to tags search for tags*tagname.  Assuming you exported tags.  For example, tags*workout will return any files with workout as a tag, no matter where in the tag list.  Just normal search stuff.

image.png.a43c431a2dbb5bc651e78ecb47cb73d6.png

To be clear this is a backup repository with easy access via search.  Not a replacement for legacy.  

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

think you are going down the wrong path if you think you will export all your stuff into HTML and you'll have any luck of using it.

Disagree.  I exported my notes at the end of 2021 and have been using that export since.  Obviously more searching with my new stuff.  But I still use the EN bits.  For example, sell a stock and want to get the buy sheet.  Enter the stock name or symbol and acct number if I want to winnow the list.  Almost immediately I have a list to review.  So, working fine for my use case.

2 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

I think you are going down the wrong path if you think you will export all your stuff into HTML and you'll have any luck of using it.

I would suggest you clean up as much stuff as you can before March 23rd and loose the nested folders and the stacks and declutter you stuff.

Additionally I would cleanup your tags and use (no spaces, no special characters, just letters and - and _)

When you have a cleaned environment I would export each folder in ENEX format one at a time.

Now you can rest knowing you grabbed all your stuff and can pick your next destination not under the stress of loosing anything.

From this point you can go pretty much anywhere product wise.

Lol. Yeah, thanks for this, I'll sort through and clean up 12,000 notes in 2 weeks, in my spare time!😆🤣

I have no nested folders or stacks or nested anything. I only have about 6 folders and most of my notes are in one of those. I don't use spaces or characters or anything except regular letters in my tags. My structure is extremely simple. I mostly use descriptive note titles in a pretty standard format to find notes.

I'm sticking with Evernote. I don't intend to *use* my html backups. But having them as security in case they are necessary is reassuring. 

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Windows indexing isn't too complicated.  Press the Windows key, type Ind and indexing and Indexing Options should appear.  Hit enter and you should see a panel like the one below. 

1. Click modify and select the folders (root folder will include all the sub folders) you want indexed.
  2. Click Advanced - File Types and click the the Index Properties and File Contents button.
  3. I only index the folders I will be searching.
  4. The indexing is running in the background and doesn't use much resource with focused locations.

image.png.cbe1a610171fbca7af3a4a4191bb06fc.png

Relative to tags search for tags*tagname.  Assuming you exported tags.  For example, tags*workout will return any files with workout as a tag, no matter where in the tag list.  Just normal search stuff.

image.png.a43c431a2dbb5bc651e78ecb47cb73d6.png

To be clear this is a backup repository with easy access via search.  Not a replacement for legacy.  

Thank you so much for this! I knew about how to get folders indexed but not that I could search for tags as you describe. I do know it's not a replacement for legacy, but it's reassuring to have it as a backup, especially since I haven't figured out or put into place a backup solution for v.10 yet. I will probably keep legacy and attempt to firewall it, for a while at least, just in case I come across a situation where I can't find a note in v.10 that I think should be there, or a note is corrupted, that sort of thing. At some point it won't be useful or I won't feel like I need it anymore. But for now it makes me feel better!

• Like 1

Hey @CalS, I'm not familiar with Windows indexing either, but I assume it's to help the PC find some text or file when using Window's generic search function. I have no affiliation with the app I use called Everything (search tool) that finds anything on my PC faster than I can type.  It's the most amazing search tool I've ever used, is free, has no harassments or advertising & is easy to use.

I agree @fuchsfr, I will also be making an ENEX backup of all folders on the 22nd, just in case I find an Evernote alternative. I'm certainly not staying with EN because of their concern for my Legacy needs or customer service, or pricing!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

@enfan-01 I use Everything as well, daily in fact.  Great tool.  It is remarkable, "How do they do that!?!, for file name searches but not so much for file content.   Hence Windows Indexing for my repository, old EN stuff and new stuff I've been adding for two plus years now.  My current Windows search is faster than Legacy and for sure faster than V10.  Which actually surprised re Legacy initially.  Paperless use case thing.

• Like 2