EN very laggy on Mac (Video)

Ever since the new updates, my EN ver. 10.77.3 is extremely laggy. Especially when opening new notes, navigating through tags, adding tags. Once I can get a note made in text edits aren't too bad, except for attachments. I've attached my activity monitor before and after evernote is opened to show that there isn't anything inherent that is causing overall lags in the system. I recorded a video of what I'm talking about. I've tried uninstalls with appcleaner and new installs but it's still the same. But what's weird is this doesn't happen on my work computer (iMac) that is running the same version. 

Computer Specs:

Mac Mini
3 Ghz 6-core intel i5
16gb DDR4 Memory

Before.png

After.png

• 2 weeks later...

Have the same problem since November 2023. But when I use only external display it's working fine... Also, when I switched my graphic card to AMD it's also fine. I don't understand why Intel HD Graphics doesn't work great with EN, because before October updates everything was ok. And still moment I don't have solution. I tried full reinstalling, use other EN account and use other Mac user profile.

MacBook Pro 16 2019 (I7, 32GB, 500GB).

• Level 5*

There's definitely something buggy happening here. I see similar behaviour.

Google is a rabbit hole on here, but have you replaced your battery? Seems like some replacement batteries do not play happily with some of the browser renderers. I was able to confirm this by switching off hardware acceleration on the Opera browser where I was seeing similar behaviour to Evernote. 

Unfortunately, they've removed this setting from Evernote.

On 3/11/2024 at 5:37 AM, gazumped said:

Current Evernote version is 10.79

Current version is now 10.80.3, but still happens. 

35 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

There's definitely something buggy happening here. I see similar behaviour.

Google is a rabbit hole on here, but have you replaced your battery? Seems like some replacement batteries do not play happily with some of the browser renderers. I was able to confirm this by switching off hardware acceleration on the Opera browser where I was seeing similar behaviour to Evernote. 

Unfortunately, they've removed this setting from Evernote.

This is on my mac mini desktop, so there is no battery. 

Opening on the web is still a little laggy but not bad. My hard drive is a 1 TB SSD. It currently has 77.15 gb of free space. 

• Level 5

OK, this speaks for a problem with the local database. To remove it, and replace it by a new copy from the cloud server:

Quit the client. Use the app AppCleaner to remove all parts of EN from the drive. Restart the Mac.

Download the installer from the EN website. Install, open, log in.

Now let it run for quite a while in the background while it downloads a new copy of your database.

Remark: I would try to get some free space on that drive. A SSD should have appr. 10% of free space - 20% is even better. It uses the space for load balancing of the cells, which extends its usable lifetime.

• Like 2

I have an intel mac which has the same LAG problem, while another M1 mac works fine. 

My temp solution is stick to version 10.66.5 for intel mac. This version is the highest version I tested without the LAG problem. 

Same here and no improvement with remaking the database from cloud. It seems to be related to Intel as my M1 MacBook is ok. I've had general UI slowdown for several versions but with addition of the new collapsing bullets Evernote is nearly unusable on my i9 MBP. 

TL;DR: Try rolling back to 10.79.3 as well—this fixed the lag problem for me. You can find older versions of Evernote on various websites but the one I used was https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/mac/versions.

On 3/18/2024 at 11:21 PM, Happen said:

I have an intel mac which has the same LAG problem, while another M1 mac works fine. 

My temp solution is stick to version 10.66.5 for intel mac. This version is the highest version I tested without the LAG problem. 

I'm on Mac Ventura 13.6.6 on Intel and Evernote 10.82.2 Latest and experiencing lag that makes longer notes unusable.

• I did already disable Slash hints.
  • I tried uninstalling completely with AppCleaner then re-installing the latest—still laggy—for long notes, which was always my problem.
  • It's not because I need to wait for the local database to rebuild or cache or whatever, I think, because it's speedy for short to medium-length notes.
  • There no longer appears to be a hardware acceleration toggle.
  • There no longer appears to be any Advanced settings (e.g. to rebuild the local database, etc.)

So I tried going back to 10.66.5 as @Happen suggested, but as of March 2024 it doesn't seem possible to sign in with that:

image.png.bc8e869691f0ff0d9899113f1bb29bd5.png

I will now try to find a version that maybe solves the lag for me even though for @Happen it was 10.66.5. I'm using AppCleaner in between each attempt.

• 10.66.5 (Nov 21, 2023) - Nope.
  • 10.79.3 (Mar 7, 2024) - Whoa. Not laggy, even with Slash hints kept enabled! Let me see if I can go newer.
  • 10.80.3 (Mar 18, 2024) - Back to laggy. Oh, and in this version you can't even disable Slash hints.

So I would actually recommend trying 10.79.3 if you are on a version beyond that and experiencing lag.

Thanks for the very detailed analysis above acheong87.   I just posted elsewhere but will echo what others are saying here in case Evernote dev is reading this.

Opening a very long note and then trying to type in it is impossible.    You enter a keystroke and nothing happens for a second.   

During the same Evernote session, I can open a new note and enter text on the screen as fast as I can type.

This is new as the note in question is one I use during a monthly meeting with a key partner -- had to switch to using Word for today's meeting!

Details on what version of Evernote client and Mac OS I am running are below.

And note, I TRIED the options suggested elsewhere of changing the "KEep a copy of my notes on this device at sign-out", log out, reboot, etc -- no joy.  The problem exists.

Hoping for a solution as I use Evernote everyday and have for many years - hence some notes that are several years old, but should not represent a massive amount of storage / memory needed at all.

Thanks

Evernote client:

10.82.2-mac-ddl-public (20240327123857)
Editor: v177.12.1
Service: v1.98.1
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Mac OS: Ventura 13.5.2

Apple M2 Chip

• Like 1