After 16 years I am leaving EverNote for Obsidian

9 hours ago, rflang said:

I've been using Evernote daily since 2009.  This is very first post and, sadly, it is to say goodbye.  I just cancelled my account based on the price increase.  

image.png.fd3037d156c8917528fe8aa0c7dbaa70.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

C'mon folks - leaver-bashing is not a good look for the Forums.  The price increase was a shock,  and although it may be possible to get a good discount if you correctly downgrade your account to Free,  that only lasts for the first year.  If you don't feel Evernote's features are worth the cost,  then it makes sense to find a cheaper alternative.

NB:  If you are leaving it is essential to downgrade your account.  Go to https://www.evernote.com/BillyBillingProfile.action (it's the 'Billing' page of your online account) and check out the very bottom of the page,  just above "Terms of Service".   'Cancel your Evernote subscription' is there - choosing it will downgrade you to Free.

Not choosing it will likely result in you paying a subscription and having to contact Support for a refund.  Cancelling the subscription is entirely in your own hands.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

leaver-bashing is not a good look for the Forums

True but Neither is constantly harping on about how things were. The professional / adult approach would be...

Am i leaving? .....for whatever reason.

OK leave and move on.

• Level 5*

And

20 minutes ago, AKARJLUK said:

The professional / adult approach 

...to that would be

To say that if you gotta go,  you gotta go - don't forget to cancel your subscriptions on the way...

1 hour ago, AKARJLUK said:

Am i leaving? .....for whatever reason.

OK leave and move on.

Technically, I'm still an evernote user, because I'm still using Evernote Legacy in "archive mode".

And after keeping Evernote Legacy forever method is discovered, I'm pretty confident even to make changes to some of the notes there, because I use DAR for incremental backups (each around 4MB). And I can even use syncthing to sync to other PCs + backup as well, and even sync with Android devices (using beforementioned syncthing and winlator - partially tested, though, it's quite sluggish).

So, there is a life after the death.

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

although it may be possible to get a good discount if you correctly downgrade your account to Free,  that only lasts for the first year.

Not necessarily, I consistently receive a substantial discount on my virus scanner by unsubscribing each year...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5

Anybody needs to know what’s best for himself. Because use cases and financial disposition are different, it is impossible to find a „one size fits all solution“. Just as an example, being self employed I use EN for my work, and can deduct my subscription from my taxable income. This means I have a different perception of the subscription, both in value created and net price impact.

If I only kept my stamp collection organized, both aspects would be much different - still taking about the same service and the same price.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, ferol said:

I'm out of Evernote....   in Obsidian

I've just completely switched all my private and also business stuff over to Obsidian. I originally planned to work the company in Evernote for now... But recent updates (see attached link below to another discussion) where they don't work in shared notebook tags have forced me to migrate the company as well.

So currently I am completely out of Evernote. And I have to say that after half a year in Obsidian with private notes, it's really significantly better than the current Evernote solutions.

So for the last 12 years or so, 11 years in Evernote Legacy has been really great. I'm really grateful for that period. Then came about 1 years of agonizing and solving "weird problems" with v.10, and I was still trying to figure it out and overcome... 

But I really don't have the nerve for it anymore and my trust in Evernote is at an all time low. At the same time, with Evernote, I don't know what's in store for me after a month... two, if they don't change the terms of use again...

Thank you to everyone here on the forum who has helped me during this effort to resolve the issues with Evernote. 

And I wish all of you who stay with Evernote and continue to work with it that you are happy with it and that it serves your needs well. 

So I won't be coming to this forum much anymore, and probably won't respond to the subsequent discussion below this post of mine.

Have a great time here :)

I think we'll all miss your contributions here. Good luck!

• Like 3

Can't remember when i joined Evernote. My account says january 2011 - but i might have had another account before that. It was before "plus" was introduced.

Moved my last active stuff out of Evernote about a month ago. I have 2 "personal" subscriptions running out soon.

Evernote would be the perfect match for my needs ...if it would work! But unfortunately it's too buggy to be used, and the development is far too random and unpredictable to be trusted.

It's so sad 😢

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Same story: I am leaving Evernote for Obsidian. It involves some learning and self-education, but it is worth it. I started testing Obsidian last year, and I am confident that I can migrate my notes from EN. I divide my notes into PKM (Personal Knowledge) and Work. PKM moves to Obsidian, and Work moves to OneNote. I found the Bending Spoons (an Italian company that owns Evernote) approach disrespectful to the current subscribed (pro and premium) users. If it's just a business for them, then so be it, Ciao Evernote

• Like 2
  • Level 5

EN never was anything else than a business. A failing business for most of the time, burning money. I rather have an owner who knows that for any sustained operation, profitability is a must. If this fits with ones own preferences is up to everybody's thoughts.

• Like 4

I've bee an evernote user since 2008. More and more I am transitioning to paid services - because I prefer that model with the security i brings, and I don't want to be the product. Proton, Kagi, Evernote, etc.

I've found these forums have become so boring and tedious. The same people complaining and telling us how they're leaving. How great Evernote used to be. Not enough updates, too many updates. This update broke my whole workflow and EN has ruined by life/business. On and on.

This is the last time I come here. Good luck to all. Pay for products not backed by weirdo tech-bro VC billionaires. Don't reply. I won't be reading it.

• Like 1