Legacy (v. 6.x) being decommissioned

• Level 5

I thought I'd drop in here and post this for Legacy users who may not have gotten the news yet. An email came out this morning with the subject "Action required ⚠️ You must update Evernote," and the opening paragraph "On March 23, 2024, we’ll be saying goodbye to legacy versions of the Evernote app. On that date, all versions of Evernote released prior to v10 on macOS, Windows, and Android will stop working. The iOS version has already been decommissioned." See also this blog post: https://evernote.com/blog/legacy-decommissioning.

• Like 1
The notice says that "older APIs" are being removed.  Does that mean that the ability of other note apps to import notes from Evernote will no longer work?  

Does it also mean that backup tools that use Evernote APIs to create full backups (e.g. Backupery, cloudHQ, Evernote-backup) will no longer work?  As I understand it v10 enex export doesn't export all notes in a notebook, just the ones stored locally, and so we'd loose the ability to fully backup our Evernote data.  
  • Level 5
9 minutes ago, mikea144 said:
The notice says that legacy APIs are being removed.  Does that mean that the ability of other note apps to import notes from Evernote will no longer work?  

Does it also mean that backup tools that use Evernote APIs to create full backups (e.g. Backupery, cloudHQ, Evernote-backup) are being removed and so those tools will no longer work?  As I understand it v10 enex export doesn't export all notes in a notebook, just the ones stored locally, and so we'd loose the ability to fully backup our Evernote data.  

These are good questions, well beyond my knowledge (or that of most users, I'd guess). I'm going to tap @agsteele to ask whether he has any insights from his involvement with the Evernote Experts group. I'm not sure I quite follow "v10 enex export doesn't export all notes in a notebook, just the ones stored locally." AFAIK, there are no notes that are not stored locally, unless one chooses to de-select "Keep a copy of my notes on this device" in Settings, in which case there would be no notes stored locally at all.

I don't have time to track down the source now, but my understanding is that with v10 if you export a notebook you get only some of the notes, and the reason is that only recently referenced notes are stored locally.  If that's incorrect, or if using that option ensures that ensures all notes are exported, then that would be great. 

• Level 5

The local copy is complete - at least if you have given it enough time to download.

No idea about the use of the API by other apps.

The documentation about the API (at least what I saw of it) is pitifully outdated and incomplete. We probably need to wait until the change takes effect.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

These are good questions, well beyond my knowledge (or that of most users, I'd guess). I'm going to tap @agsteele to ask whether he has any insights from his involvement with the Evernote Experts group. I'm not sure I quite follow "v10 enex export doesn't export all notes in a notebook, just the ones stored locally." AFAIK, there are no notes that are not stored locally, unless one chooses to de-select "Keep a copy of my notes on this device" in Settings, in which case there would be no notes stored locally at all.

I asked about continued access to the API for evernote-backup and was assured it would continue.

The easiest way of moving local notes on Legacy is to move the notes into an online notebook and sync before installing v10. For a free account user export each notebook to a local ENEX.

My understanding is that exiting from v10 requires a note to be downloaded to PC. But if a user has chosen not to keep local copies it will be removed next time the application is closed.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, mikea144 said:

I don't have time to track down the source now, but my understanding is that with v10 if you export a notebook you get only some of the notes, and the reason is that only recently referenced notes are stored locally.  If that's incorrect, or if using that option ensures that ensures all notes are exported, then that would be great. 

Hmm, that might be true on a mobile device, but there's no export function there anyway. On a Windows or Mac device, the Evernote app (assuming you have "Keep a copy on this device" selected in Settings) stores a complete copy of the notes database--which can take some time to download in a new installation, and during that time notes will be downloaded on demand when they're accessed. But once the DB is complete, it's complete.

引用

An email came out this morning with the subject "Action required ⚠️ You must update Evernote," and the opening paragraph "On March 23, 2024, 

I cannot use evernote legacy for windows today (2024.02.24), it show me "connect to server, please try again later".

I like the legacy version because it supports local notebook and I can use it under no internet connection environment.

15:14:45 [INFO   ] [10992] [3148] Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote Legacy\Evernote.exe" 
15:14:45 [INFO   ] [10992] [3148] Evernote for Windows 6.25.3.9348 (309348) Public
15:14:45 [INFO   ] [10992] [3148] Client info: Evernote Windows/309348 (zh-TW, DDL); Windows/10.0.0 (Win64);
15:14:45 [INFO   ] [10992] [3148] Common Editor: ce-62.6.10954 (649a49f9a16675da0e44b4fba6f1414cecf6615e)
15:14:45 [INFO   ] [10992] [3148] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedBundled)
15:14:46 [INFO   ] [10992] [3992] Requesting bootstrap info from "www.evernote.com" (zh-TW)
15:14:47 [ERROR  ] [10992] [3992] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 403, error: Forbidden
15:14:47 [ERROR  ] [10992] [3992] Bootstrap info: request to "www.evernote.com" failed, error: timeout
15:14:47 [WARNING] [10992] [3148] Could not retrieve fresh bootstrap info, assuming service host ""
15:14:47 [INFO   ] [10992] [3148] Bootstrap info:  (loadedFresh)
15:14:47 [INFO   ] [10992] [3148] Setting the service host to ""
15:14:48 [INFO   ] [10992] [5300] Requesting OpenID availability: https://www.evernote.com/openid/enabled
15:14:48 [ERROR  ] [10992] [5300] Received unexpected status in response to OpenId availability
15:14:48 [ERROR  ] [10992] [5300] * request: https://www.evernote.com/openid/enabled
15:14:48 [ERROR  ] [10992] [5300] * status: 403
15:15:03 [ERROR  ] [10992] [8016] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 403, error: Forbidden

Since v.10 I've had sync fail much more often.  Sometimes it takes more than an hour or more for sync to be successful.  And sometimes after I make a change on v.10 on Android it takes several hours for any images in the note to come back on Legacy on my PC, or worse yet they never come back.  I could go on but my point is that sync has gotten unreliable in a lot of ways (I won't bore you with the others).  Hopefully it's because they didn't pay enough attention to legacy users to ensure they didn't just sort of break legacy, and with all v.10 apps these problems will go away. 

However re your problem I just synced my 6.25.2.9198 Legacy EN and it worked fine, and I've had no problems today.