Search inside PDF

EN 10 will search and find an 8 digit serial number in both a 10 page invoice scanned to pdf, and also a 1 page email where I know it occurs in both.  HOWEVER it won't show me WHICH page on the invoice the serial number occurs which makes it useless.  

Legacy did it FINE and quickly.  
Looking for a workaround.  

Will upgrading to Professional help?  Currently on Personal.  

Sad about Legacy going away. :(
  • Like 1
  • Level 5

I don't think a Professional upgrade will change this. I have Professional, and still have to search separately to find the exact page in a PDF. What I do find is that if I have the PDF set to display all pages and do a search in the note (not the main search bar), it finds and highlights instances throughout the PDF.

• Thanks 1

But for some reason, it still won't find text in a scanned pdf in EN 10, but it finds and highlights it quickly in Legacy.  I'd pay more to be able to use Legacy.

Shouldn't the search be able to find and highlight this phone # on this scanned pdf?

2 examples:

EN 10:

ScreenShot2024-02-24at11_04_47AM.thumb.png.f49250589d3f45c5f46e17d71d7a5095.png

Legacy:

ScreenShot2024-02-24at11_07_44AM.png.f4ee30ed5c8559496f0ae4fc16824049.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Some general search advise, this from the iOS client: Search the note, open it. Usually you get a list of notes, and the search can’t decide which one to use for a deep dive. So you decide.

Then use the in-note search to locate the location in the note. The in-note search field will already be filled with your prior search term, so it’s just click it and hit Enter. You have arrows to jump from one place to the next - they are highlighted.

Or open the attachment and use the in-attachment search to locate it there. You get a thumbnail view with all hits in the document, sorted by pages, and can usually select the right spot. This is fine with large attachments.

Where it becomes tedious is when there are several files attached to a single note. In such a case you need to open them one by one, if you don’t know which one is the one you are looking for. Happens for me maybe in 1 out of 50 searches.

• Like 1

Helpful...thanks....OMG it works in IOS...but only sometimes.  Weird, it finds some 8 digit serial numbers but not others.

Also weird that it will find the note the serial number is on, but it won't always highlight it on the page.  Again, on SCANNED pdf's

Legacy used to have an index rebuild which was very helpful.  Does either IOS or 10.77.3 have that on a Mac?  Still doesn't work at all on Mac.

Still sad about Legacy  :(

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Working for me - I'm on the latest version 10.77.3

Can you elaborate on this? Because in recent memory it hasn't worked for me, especially when I have attachments set to display as "Title" or "Single Page" (which is most of the time for me).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5
42 minutes ago, Bill Hamilton said:

If I posted a link to a note, could someone try to find the thing in it that I'm trying to find?  Or is that not allowed?

Yes, that's allowed. Be cautious about posting anything with personal or confidential material in it, of course.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

If possible please find and HIGHLIGHT 50283212 on the following on this scanned pdf invoice   (email attachment) 

evernote:///view/11440586/s107/9093aeb9-09fb-d928-f290-0d64b364e993/00346079-b2ff-413b-aeb9-9491a79c31d8

hint:  It's on page 2, 1st column, 11 down.

Worked perfectly in Legacy (I'm still bitter)

1 hour ago, Bill Hamilton said:

If possible please find and HIGHLIGHT 50283212 on the following on this scanned pdf invoice   (email attachment) 

evernote:///view/11440586/s107/9093aeb9-09fb-d928-f290-0d64b364e993/00346079-b2ff-413b-aeb9-9491a79c31d8

hint:  It's on page 2, 1st column, 11 down.

Worked perfectly in Legacy (I'm still bitter)

I'm hopeful that the new Files feature that is slowly rolling out will add this functionality soon. Fingers crossed.

• Level 5

First observation: This is a scanned file without an embedded text layer. It looks like all text, but in fact it is nothing but a picture of that text. The file holds pixels only, no characters.

What does this mean ? The search result is based on EN OCR, and for this to happen the file needs to be imported into an EN subscription account. 

That's what I will do now. And then I will wait until tomorrow, to give the system time to run the OCR on it.

• Level 5

Because I am not so patient, I used in parallel an external OCR program, and ran the file through it. After this operation I had an embedded text layer that is searchable.

The requested number is found and highlighted on page 2 of the invoice - screenshot from search result in Mac Preview. I only added the red arrow to it.

image.thumb.png.4551f2615fa3cca07781af9216716677.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 5:59 PM, PinkElephant said:

What does this mean ? The search result is based on EN OCR, and for this to happen the file needs to be imported into an EN subscription account. 

Sorry, what kind of EN Subscription account?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bill Hamilton said:

Sorry, what kind of EN Subscription account?

Literally one you pay for?  Choices at the moment are Personal or Professional.

• Level 5

Several. My scanner was delivered with a copy of Abby Fine Reader. This is professional grade OCR, but it will only work on files build by the scanner software.

For the occasional OCR I use "owlOCR". It is a Mac app, that does some tricks on pictures and pdfs.

In many cases MacOS support grabbing text from pictures natively.