V. 10.75 can't find all tables

• Level 5

I just updated to v. 10.75 (75.2 on Windows desktop, with new UI 😝; 75.1 on Web, with old UI). I did a search for tables, to confirm how badly the new UI renders tables with the larger font and added space--and discovered that filtering or searching for tables does not find anywhere near all of the notes that have tables, in either 75.2 (desktop client) or 75.1 (Web client). I get the same result whether I use the Contains filter in the Notes list and select Tables, or enter contains:table in the Search bar. For instance, a note I've been working on a lot lately has a table and the filter/search doesn't find it; nor does it find a note I added a table to yesterday, nor a note with a large table last edited 3 days ago, nor a note with many tables last edited 5 days ago. The most recent note with a table that the filter locates was last edited August 30, 2023. Of course, there's no way of knowing whether the 60 notes it finds from that date and earlier are actually all the notes in that date range that have tables. Other Contains filters seem to work properly. Can anyone else confirm this?

@janndk has been reporting numerous search and filter bugs for months. Seems to be a bit of a pattern.

I don't filter too much but I do use search extensively, and with all the bugs I'm experiencing I haven't even reported that I have an ongoing bug where search doesn't get accurate results the first time, but then I repeat the same search and it works. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Level 5
42 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

I don't filter too much but I do use search extensively, and with all the bugs I'm experiencing I haven't even reported that I have an ongoing bug where search doesn't get accurate results the first time, but then I repeat the same search and it works. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks. I've repeated this, in both desktop and Web clients, and get the same failure. I should say that I haven't tried this filter/search previously, so I don't know how long it's been failing (though I'd expect that someone would have reported it if it were). I only did it to confirm that the new UI spreads out the content of table cells, which can mess with the formatting.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I've filed a support request, waiting with un-bated breath for a response beyond the automatic. Out of curiosity, I tried doing an AI-powered search. Instead of the 60 notes any standard search finds, which are not nearly all the notes with tables, it found 37--most of which do not contain tables, though some of them may contain the word table. Much artificial, no intelligence.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I use the mental health journal template every day which contains tables. Literally hundreds of notes. The filter finds none, definitely a bug. I have a feeling they are working on the sorting and filtering aspects right now and are breaking things in the process. I really wish Evernote would have a beta program instead of weekly releases as it currently feels like we are all beta testers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Just tried on the iOS client 10.75, using the „contains“ filter.

It worked.

Fun fact: It even found notes where a web clip contained a table.

Thanks. I've found that it also fails on the Android client. Wonder if it could have anything to do with the formatting or content of the tables???

8 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks. I've found that it also fails on the Android client. Wonder if it could have anything to do with the formatting or content of the tables???

Search for tables fails on iOS and Web for me. I've not tried Windows or Mac client yet. I also get inconsistent results with checkboxes and lists. I'll open a ticket to get another "tally" added to the issue. Glad it's not just me :)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Well, here's an update: in Evernote 10.77 for Windows, Web, and Android filtering or searching for tables now returns ZERO (00) results. It's not related to the new UI, which the Android app does not have. This after support told me 12 days ago, "We’re sorry to hear about what occurred and have passed it on to our developers for further investigation." So whatever the developers did (if anything), it was the opposite of progress. I'd appreciate it if anyone else could confirm this.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

After I updated my support ticket, they replied "We confirm that our team is still running some verifications on what you kindly reported. This process might require some technical time, but rest assured that I'll get back to you as soon as I receive feedback." So hopefully they're still working on it. This is a really weird bug, even as Evernote bugs go. Other "contains" filters/searches seem to be working fine.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5

The latest update to this ongoing malfunction: it's still possible to do a search "contains:table" (yielding 00 results), but now the Contains filter in the Notes list no longer includes Tables as an option! So they are literally deprecating any filtering for notes with tables in them, which I would have thought might be something people would want to do fairly commonly.

• Thanks 2