Evernote desktop version10.72.2.0 for windows will not open

Go to solution Solved by Federico Simionato,

• Evernote Expert

How did you uninstall? Try the recommended Revo Uninstaller to handle the uninstall which should remove all corrupted parts of the install.

Dear All,

I have excactly the same issue. 10.72.1. was working perfectly, I updated to 10.72.2 and it is not starting anymore. (Win 10)

I can see it in the Task Manager. 

Tried uninstall, reboot install, ... no change.

There is no error message, it just does nothing.

Any idea?

I cannot use Revo, as it is a regulated Company PC, but I deleted all files connected to Evernote before re-installing.
And also "auto-update" worked for all versions before.

thanks

I am also seeing this issue.

I can see 4 Evernote processes running in task manager but the application will not open. It does launch when run as admin.

Uninstalling and re-installing doesn't resolve the issue

image.png.466b923b2e9ebfbb4b8ff1a3b73d891d.png

• Like 1

Same for me, in 2 different pcs. An error window appears and proposes to restart. In one of the pcs works, although at hours the same error, and in the other is a constant loop. 

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Anybody here using the version form the MS Store ?

These are protected by the OS, it is possible that Revo can’t remove the .

For me I can say no.
 downloaded it directly from Evernote.com

• Like 1

I have the same problem the app won't load.  I downloaded my version (10.72.2.0) from the windows store.  I also am running Windows 11 in S mode.  I also uninstalled and restarted multiple times.

• Like 1

Its a bit annoying, as every morning Evernote is installing the latest version again, which failes to launch.

I am uninstalling it and install 10.71.2, which is running perfectly.

Any hint, where I can stop the Auto-Update process?
Haven't found that switch somewhere.

• Evernote Expert

This happens from time to time. It is well reported. 

Uninstall using Revo Uninstaller for Windows or AppCleaner for MacOS.

Then download and install the latest software from evernote.com/download 

1 minute ago, agsteele said:

This happens from time to time. It is well reported. 

Uninstall using Revo Uninstaller for Windows or Appinstaller for MacOS.

Then download and install the latest software from evernote.com/download 

As stated before, I cannot use REVO, as I have a restricted PC.

There must be a btter solution.

Especially, as the installation of an older version works perfectly every day again.

• Evernote Expert
5 minutes ago, njk2 said:

Can you explain why a third-party uninstaller is preferred over Evernotes own tools? 

Evernote doesn't provide any tools for uninstalling. You have to use the operating system uninstaller.

These don't clear out all the problem data. In Windows it often leaves registry entries, corrupted configuration files etc and these get picked up by the reinstallation or upgrade.

The suggested uninstallers are much more thorough. For Windows it is possible to achieve the same manually and this is where Evernote will point you. Your choice.

1 minute ago, agsteele said:

@Reuas71 I don't see any mention of Revo in your post but there is a harder option.

Manually delete %AppData%/Evernote and %LocalAppData%/Programs/Evernote 

Thanks.
Done that already

1) Uninstalled via "Evernote Uninstaller"
2) Deleted all Evernote content from User/AppData/... and Programms
3) Restart
4) Install Evernote again

Result was the same: App is not starting but visiable in Task Manager.

Uninstalled again and installed 10.71.2 -> Works perfectly

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 minute ago, njk2 said:

How can we escalate this to Evernote support as the support page only directs me here?

Support is a paid subscription service

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Free users get sent here unless you need Account or Billing support

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?guest=true

Just now, agsteele said:

If you have hundreds of users with the issue her them all to chip in 50 cents. It would cover a month's support.

One remark:
Sarcasim is not helping here, but that is up to you, like you like to treat people.

Secondly:
I opened a ticket 🙂

• Evernote Expert

Not intended to be sarcastic. Trying to think of a practical way of getting support to this person's users. Getting everyone to chip in a small amount seemed practical.

Glad you were able to reach support.

So, basically no solution available.  I'm a paid user but I didn't see where I could open a ticket - if anyone knows....  Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Reuas71 said:

Thanks.
Done that already

1) Uninstalled via "Evernote Uninstaller"
2) Deleted all Evernote content from User/AppData/... and Programms
3) Restart
4) Install Evernote again

Result was the same: App is not starting but visiable in Task Manager.

Uninstalled again and installed 10.71.2 -> Works perfectly

How did you install that specific version? I also uninstalled and reinstalled from the installer that I had (v10.60.4) and it works just fine

1 hour ago, Alex21239 said:

How did you install that specific version? I also uninstalled and reinstalled from the installer that I had (v10.60.4) and it works just fine

Same here, I had an "old" download from Version 10.71.2

I am having the exact same issue.  I cannot open Evernote since I downloaded their latest update and tried to relaunch the app.  I have restarted my computer many times, and have ensured my computer is up to date. I used the Windows 10 uninstaller to uninstall Evernote then redownloaded from the Evernote website.  

I have lodged a ticket. 

@Evernote I am hoping this gets resolved ASAP as it is hugely inconvenient and a waste of my subscription money.

I am unable to open Evernote 10.72.2 on Windows 10 Enterprise version 22H2. Evernote stopped opening a few days ok. I think when Evernote updated to 10.72.2 on 23 January 2024.

I have tried:

• closing all applications
  • restarting my laptop

Any further suggestions on how to fix?

Thank you,

Ben

I've been having the same issues as everyone else on my work computer. I gave up and switched to the web platform. It works very well and I don't have to hassle with updates.

Just my two cents ...

David <><

• Administrator
  • Solution

I apologize for the inconvenience, there is a bug that doesn't allow Evernote to launch on Windows if access to the registry editing is prevented. This for instance can often happen on company hardware with specific restrictions.

We've just started rolling out v10.73.4 that fixes this. You can download it directly from the website https://evernote.com/download.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
On 1/22/2024 at 10:08 AM, Reuas71 said:

For me I can say no.
 downloaded it directly from Evernote.com

I have the same problem that Evernote will not launch. I have recently installed the new version and all the updates. In working with Evernote today, the opening a note filled the entire screen and could not be resized. I followed advice from this forum dated in 2021 (Pink Elephant suggestion) to logout and choose the option to 'remove my data.." or something similar. Then restart the computer. Evernote now does not launch. 

Any help greately appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, avb623 said:

Still not working for me. It tries to open but never gets past the jumping toys before closing. 

Are you still using v. 10.72.2, the subject of this thread? It was noted above what the issue was and that 10.73.4 fixed it. The current version is 10.84.3, which can be downloaded from the Evernote Website. First (as also recommended above) uninstall with Revo Uninstaller.