Using an old version without cloud sync; this morning locked out

Hi.

I've been holding on to an out-of-date version of EN as it did what I needed to do.  Been using the software overall since standalone dbs, so 20 years?  No MacOS updates here.

I am currently logged out by EN, and just want to be able to export my notes.  I don't want to sync, and I don't want to subscribe.  Is there any way to get my data out of the app?  Thanks for any direction.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Always helpful to confirm your Device and OS / Evernote versions...

First reaction - you can't see or access your notes without logging in,  so that's the first issue to solve.  Some competitors have Evernote imports,  but again you need to log in - otherwise it's exporting via the desktop version to ENEX, HTML or PDF.

Sorry, not very clear.  Was running 7.13, and on MacOS 13.6

Opened my Mac this morning to a notice from EN saying I was using an old version, and would need to update to continue.  Some in-app warning of this would have been nice. 

All my notes are in a local notebook, and use time machine for backups (but I realize I should have been backing up the exported notes more often than I have.)  Mac Notes will import the ENEX format, as I've had to do that in the past.  At this point, that's all I'd like to be able to do.

If I log in, it says I need to update.  I don't have a subscription, and have many more notes than they probably allow free users, plus I do not want the notes synced to any cloud storage.  Am I completely out of luck now?

Thanks for your time.

I'm in the same boat. A timer just tripped for older versions forcing upgrade.

Been using 6.13.3 on Mac (MacOS 14.2.1)  happily for years with local notes.  Now locked out due to forced upgrade.  

Happy to upgrade and then export ... just need confirmation of the steps.   Newest v10 doesn't appear to be aware of the local notes files.  

HELP

• Like 1
  • Level 5

7.13 is not even the legacy Mac version, this would be 7.14.

You can access, edit and export your existing notes. You can’t move them, and you can’t create new ones. This for everything synced with the server.

For the local notes you have to see for yourself.

There was ample time and warnings that legacy will stop working. This is not bad will, but has technical reasons. You haven’t updated for at least 4 years now, and can’t expect they keep old interfaces to the cloud server open forever. So you need to take a decision now.

If you need time, you can always buy a month of subscription to get the ability to use the account while you evaluate your options.

Ok.

What ARE my options?  I don't want anything to sync.  Ever.  Yes, this version is out of date, but I used none of their resources except validating my account name.

All I want to do is get in to my local notebook and export my notes to an .ENEX file.

Can I merely upgrade to 7.14?  How can I tell that, if they offer no support unless I buy a higher subscription level?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, LovedSkitch said:

What ARE my options?  I don't want anything to sync

That leaves out v10.  It is only sync now.  I also miss local notebooks, but that option is not coming back.  You can try installing an older version from filehippo to see if you can get Evernote working long enough to export your local notebooks.  Upgrading to v10 will sync your local notebooks to the cloud which you can then export and then delete.  But they will have been on the cloud for a bit.

• Like 1

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.  I really appreciate the information.

I have an export file from July, so I'll lose 6 months of notes if I can't come up with any other solution.

Once they started to sync everything I stopped paying attention.  Should have bailed earlier. 

• Evernote Expert

Whatever, do NOT upgrade to v10. Your local notes will be lost.

I think your notes will be saved in an EXB file on your hard disk. Grab that and save a copy just in case.

There might be services that will import or convert the EXB file into a readable format. You'll have to search for that solution.

Thanks, I've been trying to figure out where the actual local files are stored.  Will look for an EXB.  Hoping to find a later 7.x version, to see if I can squeak in and export these notes. 

• Level 5

On a Mac it always was in hidden folders. This means you need to unhide the hidden folders first (Google tells how) before spotlight can locate it for you.

The other option is to use the GitHub project Evernote Backup.

https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup

It will in a full backup using the API to the cloud server.

This does not solve your problem with your local notebooks. When you install v10, the local notebooks will in most cases be located and transferred to the server. This may not be what you want (I think there is no issue in it), but could be a way to get their content exported somehow.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Whatever, do NOT upgrade to v10. Your local notes will be lost.

They used to give you the option to upload them.  Has that option been removed?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

They used to give you the option to upload them.  Has that option been removed?

Evernote Legacy Mac doesn't use EXB format (AFAIK) - notes are saved individually on the local hard drive and should (I think) be recoverable from there.  I don't know what v10 would do with Legacy Mac - on Windows it certainly used to offer the option to convert files.

2 minutes ago, LovedSkitch said:

If I can find a version of 7.14 to install, will Evernote allow me to log in without needing a subscription, just long enough to export my notes? 

AFAIK Evernote will allow you to log in and export notes to ENEX / HTML / PDF provided you are using only two devices connected to the account...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Evernote Legacy Mac doesn't use EXB format (AFAIK) - notes are saved individually on the local hard drive and should (I think) be recoverable from there.  I don't know what v10 would do with Legacy Mac - on Windows it certainly used to offer the option to convert files.

AFAIK Evernote will allow you to log in and export notes to ENEX / HTML / PDF provided you are using only two devices connected to the account...

Any hints on where?  Upgraded to 7.14 and can get in ... but I am pretty sure everything got cloud synced.  

16K    Code Cache
 16K    Session Storage
 16K    pico.db
 20K    Cookies
 20K    Local Storage
 76K    Cache
128K    orion.db
252K    sentry
308K    conduit-fs
356K    logs
548K    DawnCache
548K    GPUCache

Thanks to everyone who took the time. 

D/L;ing 7.14 gave me the same message - I had to upgrade.  Bit the torpedo finally, and let the App Store upgrade the Evernote version, happily it jumped only to 7.14.  I've gotten in, it appears everything has remained local, and I've exported all 9300 notes.

Apple Notes has imported them in reasonable fashion, so that's where I'll be from now on.  EN was exactly what I needed for years, then it became something for other people and I just hung on.  Hope it continues to do what you all need.  Many thanks for your help.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, LovedSkitch said:

D/L;ing 7.14 gave me the same message - I had to upgrade.  Bit the torpedo finally, and let the App Store upgrade the Evernote version, happily it jumped only to 7.14. 

I'm glad you were able to retrieve and export your local notebooks.  Could you clarify the above comment for others who may run into this?  You downloaded 7.14 from the filehippo site but were still told you had to upgrade and it upgraded to 7.14???  

• Level 5

The old Mac client before v10 and legacy was already 7.14, as was the old Windows client at 6.25.

Legacy is AFAIK just a point release, with the same features, but with a defunct auto updater, and a grey instead of green icon.

I ran the d/l version of 7.14 but when I logged in was again presented with the "You need to update" window. 

When I used the app store it installed (happily) that same version.  I don't know how to tell if it is syncing, but will give until tomorrow to be certain all of the notes are accessible inside Apple Notes and then delete them all in EN.  What a scary thing.

If anyone else has this happen, I hope they try this quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Using Apple Notes now, can keep everything local to my Mac which is what I require.  It read in the entire ENEX file without hiccup.  Slower search, don't like the formatting options, and no horizontal line, but I can live with it. 

Good luck to any other holdouts.  All the best.

• Level 5

Sort of weird that Apple (still) offers the device only option - they are quite heavily promoting iCloud sync for everything.

Just make sure you have your backups up and running, and safely tucked away.