Problems Exporting All Notebooks at Once

I normally export all my notebooks (in one go) by right clicking on NOTEBOOKS and then saving to a file.  I cannot do that now, on both PC or IOS Platform.

The only way I can find is to

a) export is one notebook at a time, or

b)100 notes at a time,

which doesn't work for me.

Does anyone have a solution?

• Level 5
26 minutes ago, emailruty said:

I normally export all my notebooks (in one go) by right clicking on NOTEBOOKS and then saving to a file.

Hi, and welcome to the forums. Was that done with Evernote Legacy (v. 6)?

27 minutes ago, emailruty said:

I cannot do that now, on both PC or IOS Platform.

The only way I can find is to

a) export is one notebook at a time, or

b)100 notes at a time,

which doesn't work for me.

Does anyone have a solution?

This is the standard procedure with Evernote v. 10. If you have lots of notebooks, it would be time-consuming to export one at a time, but this is how it's done. Can you say more about how it doesn't work for you?

• Level 5
1 hour ago, emailruty said:

I normally export all my notebooks (in one go) by right clicking on NOTEBOOKS and then saving to a file.  I cannot do that now, on both PC or IOS Platform.

No, you were never exporting all your notebooks in one go.

You may have been exporting all of your NOTES in one go, but without the NOTEBOOKS. To keep the notes in their respective notebooks, you always had to export by notebook. Or you ended up with a heap of notes, without notebook information.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

You may have been exporting all of your NOTES in one go, but without the NOTEBOOKS.

You are right - sorry. I never exported all of my notes but should know that <Notebook> info is lost in ENEX 😞

• Like 1

I guess I have updated to the new version. 

But how does that make any sense?  Once you could back up in total and now it has to be one notebook at a time.

Can somebody please recommend and send a link to a reliable back-up tool?

thank you and happy new year everyone!

• Level 5

You could never hold a backup with all data, by just exporting all notes. Doing so created an ENEX file with all notes, but without the notebook information. All on one heap.

You likely never checked, and you didn’t read the help documentation that even back then advised to backup each notebook, one by one.

Second problem: Say it’s a file above 10 GB. How would you import it again ? You try, hit the upload limit, it breaks off. You wait another 30 days, the limit resets, you try again … (OK, today this would be 20GB, if on Professional. Wouldn’t help me either).

Third problem: Many 3rd party apps choke on such a data volume, and won’t import it.

Conclusion: Not everything that was technically possible was feasible, back then.

• Level 5

You could never hold a backup with all data, by just exporting all notes. Doing so created an ENEX file with all notes, but without the notebook information. All on one heap.

You likely never checked, and you didn’t read the help documentation that even back then advised to backup each notebook, one by one.

Second problem: Say it’s a file above 10 GB. How would you import it again ? You try, hit the upload limit, it breaks off. You wait another 30 days, the limit resets, you try again … (OK, today this would be 20GB, if on Professional. Wouldn’t help me either).

Third problem: Many 3rd party apps choke on such a data volume, and won’t import it.

Conclusion: Not everything that was technically possible was feasible, back then.

Yep - if you save notebook by notebook in ENEX format (and name them like your notebooks), you have a backup format that might be used as an import to other note-taking tools if that's your reason to make backups.

If you would like to have local backups to simply read your notes without EN, you may try to save the notes in HTML format.

If you plan to stay with EN, there is no real need to create backups. EN itself cares for backups on server side. Depending on your account, there is a note history that allows to restore older note content (i.e. accidently removed attachments).

Please note that links to or between notes are lost with any backup because unique note IDs are lost. That's my main reason to waive local backups at all (and stay with EN 😉)

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, emailruty said:

Can somebody please recommend and send a link to a reliable back-up tool?

This has been discussed dozens of times. It seems that evernote-backup or Backupery area the two most favoured options to generate ENEX files.