Error: Exit Code 1073741819

Go to solution Solved by dleach4512,

I've been getting this error since 23DEC on my desktop, a Dell Optiplex running Windows 10, 64 bit, all stock/standard.

Latest version/updates.

I have:
Uninstalled evernote, Rebooted my PC, downloaded a fresh copy from evernote.com, and installed it, the error persists.
I uninstalled again, used CCleaner to find and delete all files with Evernote, including in folder in the AppData folder, rebooted the PC, downloaded a fresh copy from evernote.com, and installed again, issues persists.

Restarting evernote leads to the same error, I tried up to nine times. 

I am not having any other issues or errors at this time.

I have submitted three tickets to evernote, response on the first one was, 'uninstall and reinstall', even though I had already done that, and it was noted in the ticket.

Screenshot (61).png

In another thread here another user had this exact problem.  He or she tried the uninstall process with CC cleaner and it didn't work.  When the user finally followed the recommendations that experts like @agsteele have consistently suggested to use Revo Uninstaller (for Windows, Appcleaner for MAC), the found that his problem was cured.

My suggestion would be to go through the uninstall and reinstall process again using Revo Uninstaller or Appcleaner.  There are tons of threads that describe how to do this.

Vinnie

32 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Do any of the suggestions in a separate thread already running on this issue help you?

Howdy! I don't know, I wasn't able to find any other threads with this issue, which is why I started a new one. 

I tried searching 'discussion.evernote.com' with google for my key words, but didn't find anything. I also could not find a way to search the site internal to evernote. 

Community forum suggested using 'Revo unsintaller'.
Downloaded, installed, running.
Selected evernote> unsinstall> Advanced scanning mode.
Deleted all the items with 'evernote' in them.

f53712d0-49bf-0b60-eaca-968f4d9abd2f1cce0dd5-00a4-9d9c-63b9-39f84113f9860c5298b2-1ddc-b742-4a73-17832cfa7dce9dc26885-92d3-8c7b-4b0b-9f8a849f474d8f9bab41-6e3c-e1ac-ddd4-1264199c4df0f53712d0-49bf-0b60-eaca-968f4d9abd2f

Continued uninstall, file scan found a LOT of files; I reviewed, found all of them to have evernote in them, deleted all.

bba0a00f-1afd-83d9-506f-903ed52a088b8f9bab41-6e3c-e1ac-ddd4-1264199c4df0f53712d0-49bf-0b60-eaca-968f4d9abd2ff53712d0-49bf-0b60-eaca-968f4d9abd2ff53712d0-49bf-0b60-eaca-968f4d9abd2f7cdd7649-81e0-2e88-3d4e-c7beb6448a2017c787e0-4764-c93f-bca2-9d67811401d36b9b1946-85b2-0700-c9f8-2628d9ab51d93ae17741-84f7-65ca-80d8-d78ea62c3a8a

Revo is all done, rebooting PC.
Rebooted PC, downloaded a fresh copy of evernote from the evernbote website, installed.
Issue persists. Same error code: Exit code - 1073741819

From a similar thread here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/149088-evernote-latest-v-106742019-doesnt-work-on-my-windows-computer/?do=findComment&comment=710087

@Bolitronchi reported they had the same error. They had to first install again, then use Revo, then uninstall. If you are using Revo after an uninstall by something else, it might not be able to get a handle on everything? Just a guess. Gotta be frustrating.

Also, here is a google search on this forum that will show several similar threads with that same error: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Adiscussion.evernote.com+1073741819

2 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

From a similar thread here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/149088-evernote-latest-v-106742019-doesnt-work-on-my-windows-computer/?do=findComment&comment=710087

@Bolitronchi reported they had the same error. They had to first install again, then use Revo, then uninstall. If you are using Revo after an uninstall by something else, it might not be able to get a handle on everything? Just a guess. Gotta be frustrating.

Also, here is a google search on this forum that will show several similar threads with that same error: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Adiscussion.evernote.com+1073741819

Thanks. I'm still searchign since Revo didn't work for me. Seems to be a common error, so while I'm glad it's not me, it IS very frustrating to see so many copies of this error, but no help at all from Evernote.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, dleach4512 said:

so many copies of this error, but no help at all from Evernote.

There are a lot of copies and most or all of them - except yours - were solved by a clean reinstall.  Evernote don't respond to individual errors posted in the Forums,  you need to contact them direct to raise a ticket - and it's the Holidays,  so everything is running a little slow at the moment...

47 minutes ago, gazumped said:

There are a lot of copies and most or all of them - except yours - were solved by a clean reinstall.  Evernote don't respond to individual errors posted in the Forums,  you need to contact them direct to raise a ticket - and it's the Holidays,  so everything is running a little slow at the moment...

Harumph. Well, hopefully someone else will chime in with a solution.

I have submitted three tickets for help with evernote so far, again as noted in the first post, and I expect them to respond to those tickets.

You can try uninstalling and then seeing if there is anything remaining in: C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote and also deleting C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Local\evernote-client-updater and also C:\users\**username**\appdata\roaming\Evernote. Evernote doesn't really store much in the registry so those three folders would have everything related to the installation. 

Anything else may be specific to something on your machine, in which case I would see about reinstalling Windows which would be outside the scope of this forum.

14 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

You can try uninstalling and then seeing if there is anything remaining in: C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote and also deleting C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Local\evernote-client-updater and also C:\users\**username**\appdata\roaming\Evernote. Evernote doesn't really store much in the registry so those three folders would have everything related to the installation. 

Anything else may be specific to something on your machine, in which case I would see about reinstalling Windows which would be outside the scope of this forum.

As shown with screenshots in my posts above, I have already completed these steps. 

As there are no other issues with WIndows at this time, and, as Evernote is currently working correctly on two other machines with Windows, same version, I'm thinking there's something we're missing here. 

12 minutes ago, dleach4512 said:

As shown with screenshots in my posts above, I have already completed these steps. 

As there are no other issues with WIndows at this time, and, as Evernote is currently working correctly on two other machines with Windows, same version, I'm thinking there's something we're missing here. 

Those are all of the places where Evernote stores data. If you remove all of those folders and still have an issue it may be something else on your computer such as a driver causing an issue. Maybe try disabling hardware acceleration in Evernote. If that helps you may need to update your graphics drivers. Just something to try.

3 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Those are all of the places where Evernote stores data. If you remove all of those folders and still have an issue it may be something else on your computer such as a driver causing an issue. Maybe try disabling hardware acceleration in Evernote. If that helps you may need to update your graphics drivers. Just something to try.

How do I disable hardware accelration in Evernote? Keep in mind I cannot access any menu or function in the app on my PC due to the error.

• Evernote Expert
11 minutes ago, dleach4512 said:

How do I disable hardware accelration in Evernote? Keep in mind I cannot access any menu or function in the app on my PC due to the error.

That's an option that is no longer available. It was introduced a few months back but has now been removed.

Uninstalling with Revo uninstaller again.
Advanced scanning mode.
Deleted all leftover files.
Following up on post from forum:
You can try uninstalling and then seeing if there is anything remaining in:
C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote : Evernote folder was there, empty. I deleted it.
C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Local\evernote-client-updater : Folder exists, was empty, I deleted it.
C:\users\**username**\appdata\roaming\Evernote. : A ***** ton of files and folders in here, I deleted the top level folder.
I aldo deleted the Evernote folder in C:\Users\**username**\AppData\LocalLow

Anything else you suggest I do before I reboot, download a fresh copy, and try it again?

Just now, dleach4512 said:

Oh hey, please dont' be sorry, it's another thing we thought of, looked into, checked, and resolved!

At this point, I'll take whatever I can get and try anything that seems like it might work and isn't a safety concern!

Can you make sure your drivers are up to date. It may be prudent to look directly with the vendor as well like getting Intel Graphics drivers directly from Intel if applicable.

You could also try a restore point in Windows if it is something related to the OS.

I did that, by checking with Windows Update, Dell update, and the AMD tool running my system tray, when the issue first occured.

No updates found, nothing needed to be updated, all drivers were the latest (stable) drivers.

I just checked all of those again, same results, nothing to update. 

23 minutes ago, dleach4512 said:

I did that, by checking with Windows Update, Dell update, and the AMD tool running my system tray, when the issue first occured.

No updates found, nothing needed to be updated, all drivers were the latest (stable) drivers.

I just checked all of those again, same results, nothing to update. 

At this point if it's still not working it's most likely something on your computer. Are you running any anti-virus software that could be interfering?

Sorry, short of being in front of the computer and being able to troubleshoot myself I'm not sure what other advice to give you. If it's been a while it may be worth doing a clean install of Windows, it's good to do every now and then anyway. I wish I could be more help.

To save you the frustration support is going to take 2-3 weeks to get back to you and they'll probably ask you to reinstall. Then when you tell them that you already did probably take another month to get back to you.

• Solution

So, finally got it fixed, with a lot of steps. here's what I did:

1) Checked and updates drivers for anything and everything.

2) Cleaned out system cache and cleaned up Windows using Disk Cleanup.

3) Downloaded Revo Uninstaller, installed it.

4) Rebooted machine, clean start, nothing opened. 

5) Ran Revo uninstaller to remove evernote. Removed any registry entry with evernote in it, removed all fiels with evernote in it. 

6) Finished with Revo uninstaller. Navigated to the following locations and deleted any and files or folders with 'evernote' in them:
C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote
C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Local\evernote-client-updater 
C:\users\**username**\appdata\roaming\Evernote.

7) Went to 😄 drive and searched for evernote, deleted any and all files with evernote in the name. 

😎 Ran Disk cleanup again.

9) Rebooted the machine again. Used it as normal for 2 days, using evernote web. 

10) Downloaded a fresh copy of evernote (for the ninth time!), closed everything else, and ran the installer. 
Evernote installed and ran fine, and has been for a couple days now. 
I'm calling the issue resolved.

Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas or steps to try towards a solution! :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1