Link to entire Notebook

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not in the desktop app.  Since it needs to be open to view the notebook anyway it's as quick to open Evernote,  have saved link to the notebook and open from there.  In the web client you can - go to that notebook and steal the URL from the page.  You could also export that notebook if you wished,  to PDF or HTML.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

In the web client you can - go to that notebook and steal the URL from the page.

Nifty! And if this URL is used to create a link in the Evernote desktop app, clicking it will open the notebook in the Web client, opened to the note at the top of the list (which will depend on your sort settings, I suppose). It will attempt to do this from the Android app as well, but of course will fail, since the Web client is not supported on Android.

• Level 5
On 12/28/2023 at 12:26 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:
On 12/28/2023 at 10:44 AM, gazumped said:

In the web client you can - go to that notebook and steal the URL from the page.

Nifty! And if this URL is used to create a link in the Evernote desktop app, clicking it will open the notebook in the Web client, opened to the note at the top of the list (which will depend on your sort settings, I suppose). It will attempt to do this from the Android app as well, but of course will fail, since the Web client is not supported on Android.

Perhaps worth adding that of course the notebook URL harvested from the Web client can also be used to create a desktop shortcut, or a link from within a document created in a different program, e.g. a word processor or spreadsheet document.

• Like 1
On 12/30/2023 at 9:25 AM, Dave Green said:

I generally have a note named "+ <notebook name>" in each notebook to facilitate going to a notebook (and potentially having a table of contents.  The leading "+" kind of pins it to the top when sorting by title.

Bu in this example what are you using to get the link?  Are you going through the web and creating links that way?  I"m trying to stay within in the application as much as possible.

• Level 5*
Just now, KCour2006 said:

Bu in this example what are you using to get the link?  Are you going through the web and creating links that way?  I"m trying to stay within in the application as much as possible.

Worth pointing out that the notebook link is a once-and-done copy from the web.  Keep an Evernote lookup note that lists all your notebook links and add a new one if you create a new notebook.  Copy and paste from your lookup list when you need the link again. 

On 12/28/2023 at 3:38 PM, KCour2006 said:

Is there a way to create a link on desktop for an entire notebook?

Windows or Mac?

You can create a windows shortcut on the desktop to an individual note (just create a shortcut on the desktop and paste the internal link evernote:///..... into it). That doesn't help you directly, but if that note was in your target notebook you could easily then click the notebook name at the top of the note to go to the notebook.

image.png.dc37c3f9e41c97634e220d8276b25b4f.png

Given that going to a notebook, once you have the app open, is one of the things that V10 hasn't really slowed down much, I wonder why it is so important to go directly to the notebook.

Perhaps make the notebook your first shortcut.  Then from the anywhere in Windows (not just the desktop) you could do

{Win}+{shift}+F
{Esc}
{ctrl}+1

That could even be automated with Autohotkey (or similar) to make it a single key combination. You could even create a desktop shortcut for that little script.

14 hours ago, KCour2006 said:

In the application, you get the link by using Note | Copy Internal Link | App Link or by using the keyboard shortcut for copying the internal link of the page you are on (on the Mac, it is ⇧ + ⌥ + ⌘ + C.

I don't have a great solution for launching Evernote to the note, but one can persuade your browser to help.  I was able to do this on the Mac.

1. Create a small .html to launch the Evernote URI when it loads

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
    <script>
        window.location.href = "evernote:///view/176135/s3/ba7e9e37-e9d2-2ac0-e948-7f05a72e4f30/d07804e3-e653-c3bb-4a37-2406fb22b528";
    </script>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

The Evernote link needs to change to the one you want to launch.  It should launch the desktop application.

2. On my Mac, I have this .html file launch Safari (it also worked for Firefox).

3. I permit Safari to open Evernote each time it sees the URI by answering "Always Allow" when it launches the first time.

4. Save the .html file on your desktop (or wherever you want to click).  

5. This should launch Evernote to the page cited, which, if the link is to a note in the folder you want, should either show the folder too or be one more click away from doing so (by clicking the folder of this note).

21 minutes ago, Dave Green said:

I don't have a great solution for launching Evernote to the note, but one can persuade your browser to help.  I was able to do this on the Mac.

Interesting. Much easier on Windows where you can add the Evernote link directly to a Windows shortcut and even give it a shortcut key.

12 hours ago, Mike P said:

You can create a windows shortcut on the desktop to an individual note (just create a shortcut on the desktop and paste the internal link evernote:///..... into it).

image.png.c53455be29990d8b3bb572877f7c5e30.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cool. I looked for a way to do it on the Mac but it was not as simple, one can use the new Shortcut mechanism to program an open and paste the URL there.

CleanShot2024-01-03at00_44.12@2x.thumb.png.6f0e4257ae88dadcb82b5e858fc07cf1.png

That said, I assumed that the OP was likely a Windows User, so I was looking for an approach that worked there, but yours is much better.

Thank you for all the input everyone. I am using Windows. 

I leverage the shortcut link for individual notes now, it's quite handy. Except for the fact that the Windows app constantly changes position when opening a different link. But it works. 

To answer a question, the reason for the notebook link, is more due to my organization of notes, currently set up by state. This helps me sort through notes that are client based, by state.

• Like 1