subscription cancelation and refund

Go to solution Solved by Willieb,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I submitted a ticket. Anyone had any joy with a refund/response. I’m so angry they doubled the price an still charged annually and make it hard to get help. It’s like why not just make it £100k and charge everyone of because that sound shady and fraudulent. its really underhanded business practice to the point it feels fraudulent. In short a disgrace. 

FAABF55F-6163-41E4-B7A5-DE83EDEC28FB.jpeg

• Evernote Expert

As you will see above, responses to tickets are taking around 14 days. If you haven't waited that long then you'll need to be patient.

If it has been more than 14 days then post your ticket number here and one of the moderators may be able to flag it for attention by staff.

The price rises were well posted when implemented. The new price for renewals is always sent via Email about a month before the payment is taken.

• Like 1

If it was and inflation related cost or a proportional increase I’d maybe accept it. They knew full well a lot of customers would be caught out or not notice and did it anyway. 
Saying they emailed and put it on a website is simply not good enough. Without explicit consent to a cost doubling which fundamentally changes the value proposition of the service is not acceptable. Legally I’m sure it’s all sewn up. From any other customer perspective it’s sharp practice IMO and I honestly feel ripped off. On top of that no reasonable way of contacting Evernote effectively during this time or any other again feels like  sharp practice. 14 days to respond to a ticket are you joking Evernote? Again a lot of customers will simply loose track of that email and or forget to follow up IMO by design. It should not be this difficult or long winded to perform this task for a fundamental customer service request. I’m so disappointed I will never use Evernote again. 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, carlpedler said:

If it was and inflation related cost or a proportional increase I’d maybe accept it. 

Hi.  I appreciate you're upset,  but please stop ranting - there was no price increase at all for 5-6 years,  so inflation is a big part of the increase.  And every subscription I pay works on the same basis that they warn everyone of price increases before they happen,  individuals a month before payment is due,  and if you missed both those and object to the payment within a reasonably short period of the charge they will give you a refund.  So please wait for your Support query to be answered.

• Like 1

@carlpedler, I empathize with your situation. I have known people with disabilities which limited their ability to earn income and/or saddled them with extreme costs just to take care of themselves.

But the implication that Evernote is doing something unusual simply isn't true. I have many recurring software subscriptions and all of them are set to auto-renew. Can you imagine if they weren't? If they had to ask everyone to opt-in every time there was any sort of change in pricing, it would be a logistical nightmare. They'd have to cancel service for customers who failed to respond. I'm sure people would then be complaining loudly about having their subscriptions canceled against their wishes.

I was out of work for six months this year, so I know full well what it's like to have to pinch pennies. With Evernote price increases looming, I canceled my subscription for a bit. I know this advice is to late to help you, but it may help others: you have the option to go into your account and turn off auto-renew. It means your subscription will be canceled as of your next renewal date. 

As for the difficulty in keeping up with email, I'm not sure what to say. I get a lot of personal and professional emails daily and I have to triage them all. Just as "I can't keep up with my hardcopy mail" has never been recognized as an excuse for not dealing with an important notice, the same goes for email today.

But I want to avoid getting preachy. Instead I'll just ask you to consider that you have not been victimized here. It may be an unfortunate situation and even a hardship for you to have some of your money tied up, but you will get your refund.

As for Evernote's price increase being too high, that's subjective. I feel I get enough value to justify the cost. You don't. Those are your feelings, and you have every right to them. But you were able to cancel your subscription with a refund forthcoming. You'll be made whole and the world will go on.

• Like 1

I don’t mind auto renew and if I wasn’t in a pinch I may have let it slide, but I’m not so it mattered and yes I think it’s wrong to double the price and still go with an auto renew. Auto renew is fine so long as you don’t jack the price and added to that the frustration and messing around to get it sorted: yes I also think that is wrong and yes plenty of companies do it: that isn’t justification. It’s something like subscription by submission i.e I can be arsed with a two hour mess around so I’ll give up. My disability makes this effort much more difficult so yes I’m going rant and cancel my subscription. 
I think there should be more stringent rules around cancelling a service like this much like the rule change around email subscription. 
@PinkElephant throwing shade at a disabled guy looking for a refund is pretty low par. 

• Level 5

Sorry, I didn’t want to refer to your situation.

The point is: It can happen you need to change a service: They quit, they take an unwanted direction, they get more expensive. It’s always good to have a Plan B.

In this case you will find it is pretty easy to leave EN - the ENEX export is self serviced, most other apps in the field will digest it.

The main problem will be to find a similar service for much less. That’s what I pointed out. I am not questioning your wish and need to cut expenses. I am just telling that it seems the note taking app segment has sort of consolidated: Either you accept significant restrictions and loss of features, or you end up in a similar price range.

Maybe you look up the postings by @CalS. He left a while ago and build his own ecosystem around a bunch of free apps. I am sure he is willing to share.

• Like 1

I posted a reply earlier that I deleted. It was too angry to be useful.

But I don't think @PinkElephant threw shade at any point in this thread.

Try to keep in mind this is a user forum that is rarely frequented by Bending Spoons employees. Venting at us won't change your situation because we don't have the ability to influence or control Evernote. 

But I've found that the more experienced users here are quite happy to help to the extent that they can, if you ask them nicely.

• Like 1