New blog post: Web downsync just got over 16x faster!

• Level 5*

Thanks for the upgrade - but we're seeing a lot of missing note reports in the forums.  Users are opening their account to find this whole year missing.  After some messing around the missing notes - mostly - have been found again,  but are there any ongoing server-side activities that might explain this with accounts being moved or updated?

EDIT:  one of many examples... 

• Thanks 2
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Thanks for the upgrade - but we're seeing a lot of missing note reports in the forums.  Users are opening their account to find this whole year missing.  After some messing around the missing notes - mostly - have been found again,  but are there any ongoing server-side activities that might explain this with accounts being moved or updated?

We're looking into it. Client logs help a lot, feel free to DM me your client logs in case this happens.

• Thanks 3
hace 1 hora, Federico Simionato dijo:

We're looking into it. Client logs help a lot, feel free to DM me your client logs in case this happens.

I sent my log to support and it seems that it didn't help, taking into account that the log I could obtain was from the Android app (which sync is up-to-date) and the out-of-date sync problem occurs un the web version. How can we know which log should we share? or how to get a log form the web client? Thanks in advance.

Very nice! Would love to see improvements on mobile as well. Real time meta data sync and push sync / background syncing on mobile still missing - having to wait for homescreen to update notes, tasks and quick notes upon app start which takes much longer than on web! Tasks and reminders not being synced unless client is running in foreground. Thank you  (speaking about the Android client)

• Like 2
  • Administrator
16 hours ago, camsgs13 said:

I sent my log to support and it seems that it didn't help, taking into account that the log I could obtain was from the Android app (which sync is up-to-date) and the out-of-date sync problem occurs un the web version. How can we know which log should we share? or how to get a log form the web client? Thanks in advance.

@camsgs13 It did help, 10.65.3 is now out with the fix and soon on mobile!

1 hour ago, Alxa said:

Very nice! Would love to see improvements on mobile as well. Real time meta data sync and push sync / background syncing on mobile still missing - having to wait for homescreen to update notes, tasks and quick notes upon app start which takes much longer than on web! Tasks and reminders not being synced unless client is running in foreground. Thank you  (speaking about the Android client)

@Alxa Yes, mobile is high on our list of priorities.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
On 11/3/2023 at 12:03 PM, Federico Simionato said:

You'll notice it especially on accounts with a large number of notes.

I tested it personally on an account with 17,265 notes: almost 5 minutes with the old system, 17 seconds with the new approach.

Hope you enjoy the (short) read: https://evernote.com/blog/faster-web-downsync

Quoting from your blog post @Federico Simionato "Each one kicks off a process called an initial downsync, during which all the user’s content is re-downloaded into the browser’s storage system so the user can access their Evernote notes offline"

This is not what I am finding. Evernote web does not work offline. Without an internet connection notes will not load. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, ianfm said:

This is not what I am finding. Evernote web does not work offline. Without an internet connection notes will not load. 

By definition Evernote's web app can't work offline.  You need an installed client...

As far as I know the web version downloads all the note meta data, tasks info and other bits. It doesn't download all the content, things like attachments and whatnot.

The data is not persistent so once you log out or close the tab the data gets removed.

Some folks Evernote accounts are 20GB+ so downloading all this every time the web app was opened would be very time consuming.

Like @gazumped said the only way to get proper offline is with the desktop clients and making notebooks offline on mobile.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, gazumped said:

By definition Evernote's web app can't work offline.  You need an installed client...

I know. But the blog post if you read it implies that notes will be downloaded to the web cache to enable working offline.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, ianfm said:

I know. But the blog post if you read it implies that notes will be downloaded to the web cache to enable working offline.

Maybe it was badly phrased?  The web client starts faster for me (I think) than it did previously,  but I'm not expecting to do anything offline.