"Back" button behaves wrong

Go to solution Solved by matej1990,

So the issue is, whenever I try to press the back button, it either brings me back to the home page, or quits the application completely. Whereas I just want to go one step back to the previous note, or maybe to the search field. But when I press it, it most of the time quits the application. That's a 100% bug, and it needs to be solved. Please address this issue.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
14 hours ago, JohnDoe58884 said:

So the issue is, whenever I try to press the back button, it either brings me back to the home page, or quits the application completely. Whereas I just want to go one step back to the previous note, or maybe to the search field. But when I press it, it most of the time quits the application. That's a 100% bug, and it needs to be solved. Please address this issue.

This is 100% something that various Android apps do, e.g. the Wikipedia app. It's the intended function, not a bug. The question is whether the function is a good idea. Evernote uses 2 back buttons: its own at top left, which does back up one step, and the system back button at the bottom, which generally quits the app. I think it can be a useful differentiation of functions. But a number of other users agree with you, and if you search the forums you can find those threads, and the statement that Evernote is going to be "fixing" this (which I don't think is broken in the first place, but never mind).

• 1 month later...

As a user of Evernote for several years, I can tell you that this change in behavior is *new*.  So, whether it's by design or not, it's a change from how it has behaved for several years.  That to me is a bug.  I expect the back button to go back to the previous state, not exit the application completely. And that's how it has behaved for years and only recently changed.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, Roy Douglas said:

As a user of Evernote for several years, I can tell you that this change in behavior is *new*.  So, whether it's by design or not, it's a change from how it has behaved for several years.  That to me is a bug.  I expect the back button to go back to the previous state, not exit the application completely. And that's how it has behaved for years and only recently changed.

Respectfully, I think a bug is usually described as something that does not work as it is intended to do. A change is not a bug, just a change. They decided to alter the intentional behavior, and it works as such. I can imagine situations in which it would be useful to have both options (back and exit) available. We just have to get used to it.

Ok. Bug or not, I disagree with their "decision" (if that's what it was).  If I want to close the app and go to the home screen I'll press the home button. I should be able to go back one screen by pressing the back button.  The back button shouldn't do the same thing as the home button

• Like 2
  • Level 5

A typical Android-ish discussion, about an user interface that is hardly standardized at all, given all the skins and OS-extensions the different makers add to their flavor of Android. And then its update hell, devices with EN installed reaching from Android 9 to Android 14, if I followed it correctly. This spans 6 years of OS development.

So I don’t think this can be decided.

I happily continue with iOS: One back button top left, that does what I expect it to do. Done  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Solution

It's funny that it's always Evernote that has some very weird Android implementations and decisions. I do not recall when was the last time that back button in some app behaved like currently in Evernote.

• Like 1