Constant CPU and Disk Usage by Windows Client

I ignored updating from the legacy client for forever because it constantly used CPU and disk. I was forced to upgrade when the legacy client told me it wouldn't sync anymore. So here I am with this terrible new app and it's still using CPU and disk all the effing time. 

Evernote uses 10% of my laptops battery while it just sits in the background. This is unacceptable.

Is there a setting I'm not seeing that would resolve this? I've seen lots of posts about high CPU usage, sluggishness, spikes in CPU, etc., but not the constant 3% CPU usage and a few percent disk usage. I've submitted a support request but Evernote pays no attention to those and tells me to basically get lost they'll fix it if they want to fix it for every bug and issue I run into.

Is my only course of action to migrate to a new product? I haven't found one that I like but I assume that's what I'll have to do.

• Level 5

„Constant 3% CPU usage“ is pretty normal these days. The app stays active when in the background, to be synced and up in a blink when you call it. Other apps are similar, when running on a framework.

Don’t like it ? Leave, there are other apps. Or make it a habit to quit the app, instead of just closing the active window. Startup times will increase, however.

• Level 5

Know what - it simply is as it is. It's no bug, it's part of an app that needs to run to keep everything synced, neat and tidy, case you want to open it in a blink.

Want to use it, accept it. Don't like it, go looking for an alternative. Be skosh with battery power, quit the app when you don't need it.

Or discuss with support, they get paid for fruitless discussions:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Not sure if its a bug. It doesn't sound like a lot to me for an app that's always open and running.

If you've just installed the app then it can take a few days to download and index everything depending on how much data you have.

If I'm honest I have no idea what CPU and whatnot is being used on my PC as I never look. I just use the apps and get stuff done.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

If I'm honest I have no idea what CPU and whatnot is being used on my PC as I never look. I just use the apps and get stuff done.

Would be nice to do so...  Especially on not-the-latest laptops it's a problem when apps consume too much CPU because the fan begins to blow, other apps get slow and the battery gets down.

But yes - it's not a bug. So I cannot (and will not recommend) to go in touch with support. From my point of view it's OK to mention such difficulties in forums (not only here...) to discuss it with other currently or later on affected users.

29 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Would be nice to do so...  Especially on not-the-latest laptops it's a problem when apps consume too much CPU because the fan begins to blow, other apps get slow and the battery gets down.

Oh yes, agree. All my PCs are old knackered beaten-up things.... the one is from 2012, another old Dell with a dead battery and the fancy one is a 2017 i5 Lenovo with 8GB RAM 😂 Nothing fancy here and they all run Win 10 and everything works well.

For me the question would be; is my PC getting slow and not letting me do what I need to do? Then I'd look at options.

Maybe the OPs PC is performing slowly but I can't see how saving 3% CPU and few percent disk usage would improve things much.

I worry more about Win 10 stopping working as non of my kit will upgrade to Win 11 and I like to keep things until they break!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

On Windows 11 / Evernote 10.64.3 Evernote is never the top CPU user.  I agree that after installation / update / upgrade it has a lot of background work to do so is probably much higher,  but I had to sort this Task Manager view by Memory to even see the entry.  Most of the 5% currently in use is AV and audio...

usage.jpg.aa15c7856572bb34421ff31f0031a60b.jpg

It’s been installed for weeks and had plenty of time to get situated. The problem is the battery usage. By constantly running like this it’s using way too much battery. Over both one day a one week reports, over 10%. 

I brought this to support long ago and they said they were aware and were working to resolve the problem and obviously never did. They also claimed that they were working on adding features to the new client that had not yet made it from the old. Most of that never happened either. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, stratus19rt said:

it’s using way too much battery. Over both one day a one week reports, over 10%. 

Have you tried the full sign out / remove database on device / uninstall with Revo / power off & back on / re-download from Evernote.com / reinstall process?  A clean reinstall will reindex your database,  clear out any random files left over by updates and generally spruce up the system.  If you're still having issues after that,  send your logs to Support using your old ticket number. 

Does your laptop have an SSD?  Plenty of free storage space?

Evernote is working well for me on desktop - sometimes it takes some work from the user to get reasonable performance out of an app,  and Support are the only folk who can assist with that...  The more reports they get,  the more likely it is to get fixed too,  so if anyone else still has the issue...

Like Gazumped, my CPU use is running between 0% and 0.2%.  This is on a laptop running Win 11 about 2 years old, so not terribly outdated hardware, but not the latest-and-greatest, either.  I'm not saying you don't have an issue but, as Gazumped mentions, it could be a corrupted Evernote database on your machine or hardware that is marginal for the current design of the app.

Vinnie

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just looked it up as well. Had problems to find it - no EN instance above 0.4%, all in total below 1%. 🫥

The Activity monitor on my Mac which I use to view my apps activities (like Task manager on a PC) at the same time used 51% CPU 😱 (which is a measure per CPU core, and my M2 has plenty of them). This is more than 50 times the CPU used to see that EN is below 1% on idle.

I don't think I should measure this too often, it will kill my battery hardly, the battery life of the M-Macs is absolutely insane.

It's an i7-9750H... it should handle Evernote just fine. I can run multiple virtual systems in VMware Workstation without a problem. I opened Evernote on the machine twenty minutes ago, so it should be well finished with syncing and any processing and it's currently using 4.7-5% CPU and constant disk usage (and over a GB of RAM, too). It would be nice had they included the activity log in this version like the old one. 

I'm not going to reinstall. I'll just use the web app until I can figure out a migration plan to something else. I've used Evernote since before the elephant... when it was a never-ending roll of notes that came with a Wacom tablet in like 2004 or 2005. Been a premium paid user since 2008. And you can all say what you want, but this is not like the "good old days" anymore. This is just one of many issues - collapsing notebook stacks don't work correctly when moving a note in iOS, sending emails to my Evernote address sometimes don't get put in the inbox for hours and sometimes days, the cost, and hey a note in my inbox just disappeared - in the reading pane and says Note unavailable.

For what it's worth, my desktop chews CPU and disk just like the laptop does. Not as big of an issue since it doesn't run on battery. So if something is corrupt, it's my account, not the install. And with their support these days I'll NEVER get that resolved.

So I'm going to unfollow this thread and move on and you can all say what you will about the Evernote non-believer. I'm going to bail like so many others have.

• Level 5

Actually I don't care, since you tell you won't listen.

Probably you installed, something went wrong, and now it's munching on a piece of undigestible data. Nothing better to heat a CPU than a nice infinite loop.

The solution would be to purge the existing install, using an uninstaller app like Revo. Then a restart of the system, and a fresh install.

But as I say, I don't care.

About the "good" old days, when we got one, maybe 2 releases per year, and had to wait months for a single bug fix. When EN missed the OS update by Apple, which meant for 6 weeks no web client, because Safari updated before MacOS, and as usual EN was NOT ready. About a mobile client that lacked a ton of basic features, which meant that key features of the desktop app like nesting tags or editing tables didn't exist on mobile. If these are your good old days, then you should have your memory checked.

While they were toying around to keep the app alive, the underlying structure was building technological debt, year by year. Legacy windows is still 32bit code, not maintainable, not supportable. Legacy Mac is 64bit, but close to unusable on modern MacOS because of missing dependencies.

OK, these were the old days, not so good, even in hindsight.