Information lost when viewing notes originally created in Legacy versions

Most of my issues with Evernote 10 have been resolved (although I still think it's too slow). However, I still have one show-stopper issue which prevents me from upgrading fully. I wonder if you guys have any solution for this.

My problem is that there is some important information lost when looking at my existing notes in Evernote 10, such as colors in code blocks.

This is crucial to a lot of my notes where I marked certain areas of code or of byte patterns.

See screenshots below:

Evernote Legacy:

image.thumb.png.7803ed43ff46887b06cc7dbb9de43d60.png

Evernote 10 (note the missing colors):

image.png.9d31fd462ee140c1c931b57e360ecf81.png

Any ideas?

Thank you!

EDIT: Note this isn't necessarily code, in this case it's byte patterns from analyzing some file. The colors don't follow rules, instead they have meaning because I manually added them to highlight certain important things within the data. 

• Evernote Expert
31 minutes ago, CherryDT said:

My problem is that there is some important information lost when looking at my existing notes in Evernote 10, such as colors in code blocks.

Colour is not supported in code blocks.  I think the typical work around is to store code in a single cell table and format it in the cell. Otherwise use a dedicated code writing application and store output file inside a note.

But that won't rescue your code that is already captured.

There are mixed views on use of Evernote for capturing code snippets. You can see both sides of the argument in the forums.

Meanwhile submit feedback to Evernote. Either open a support ticket or Email feedback@evernote.com

Remember, though, even if the suggestion is accepted it will be many months before this is released.

2 hours ago, CherryDT said:

Any ideas?

This will require some manual work, but for  your example, looks like you could maybe use a single gray cell table and use monospaced font — i.e. don’t use a code block but use something that looks almost exactly like it. 

• Level 5

Ooooops - I doubt that color in code blocks in v10 will arrive before legacy is cut from syncing. We had some rumors about an improved code block tool, but nothing seen yet.

You can use the "contains" filter introduced with v10 to find any note that holds a code block. You can try as well if search in legacy recognizes the "contains" command - search in the end is server based, so maybe you get lucky when trying. The syntax is

contains:enCodeblock

You can then decide if you want to mimic the code block UI by using a table and format it accordingly. Keep in mind there are no general styles in v10 - you need to adapt the style over and again in each note.

It may be easier to use a code block editor and save the files into the note.

13 hours ago, CherryDT said:

Any ideas?

Just checked whether it is only a display thing and colours are retained within the note. But no - EN10 removes colour information. If the note is synced back and re-opened in Legacy, colours are gone... 😞😞 

That's exactly my problem. And for me these colors have important meaning, it's not just syntax highlighting, it's manual highlighting of things that mean something specific to me. Without the colors the note is mostly useless.

So from what I read here, there is no solution, other than manually going over all my notes and figuring out what would probably get lost and changing its format. 

Are there other gotchas like this? Other things which will get lost? I had some weird results with checkboxes (randomly turning into X or check marks, partially putting text in cursive, weird mixed indentation), but it mostly seems to "work" in that no information gets lost even if the result looks inconsistent and wonky (except for one note which simply lost all its checkboxes but I don't know why - perhaps it was because there were only unchecked checkboxes in that note?). I use checkboxes a lot. I wonder if there are any more things to watch out for?

Do I actually need to open each of my hundreds of notes side by side in the two versions and compare it piece by piece to find issues, to be sure I'm not losing anything or getting anything messed up? This sounds incredibly cumbersome :(

17 minutes ago, CherryDT said:

That's exactly my problem. And for me these colors have important meaning, it's not just syntax highlighting, it's manual highlighting of things that mean something specific to me. Without the colors the note is mostly useless.

So from what I read here, there is no solution, other than manually going over all my notes and figuring out what would probably get lost and changing its format. 

Are there other gotchas like this? Other things which will get lost? I had some weird results with checkboxes (randomly turning into X or check marks, partially putting text in cursive, weird mixed indentation), but it mostly seems to "work" in that no information gets lost even if the result looks inconsistent and wonky (except for one note which simply lost all its checkboxes but I don't know why - perhaps it was because there were only unchecked checkboxes in that note?). I use checkboxes a lot. I wonder if there are any more things to watch out for?

Do I actually need to open each of my hundreds of notes side by side in the two versions and compare it piece by piece to find issues, to be sure I'm not losing anything or getting anything messed up? This sounds incredibly cumbersome :(

Not sure if this is any use or not….if the codes are being stored and not edited, could you export those notes where colour needs to be maintained as pdfs and attach them? That way they ought to be searchable still but the key formatting would be maintained? 

Hm, interesting idea, I can try that, since the majority of these won't need to be edited anymore anyway. I'm just worried it might mess things up due to the restricted width in the PDF but that's better than losing the colors or manually modifying each code block, I guess. 

• Evernote Expert

The colour stuff could be resolved when you need to review a particular note. But I think the PDF suggestion isn't bad at all.

As for check boxes, v10 added a new additional feature called check lists. These items are struck out as well as checked when completed. The strike out has a setting to disable if you wish.

The old check boxes remain BUT if you place one at the start of a line followed by text, it will convert to a new check list. If you want to force a check box then you need to add a space before the box. Check boxes with in the middle of text.