How to Reach Evernote Technical Support About Upgrade Warnings

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

I am at a loss as to how to create a support ticket or reach out to Evernote tech support in any manner. I have older versions of Evernote installed on my PC, Android Pixel 7 and Kindle Fire 7 tablet. I cannot find a link under Help & Support on any of these apps. Could someone provide an email address or link for support. 

There have been red banners appearing (originally on my Pixel 7 but now on all three devices), warning that I must upgrade to the latest version to continue to use Evernote. I have upgraded on my Pixel in the past, and had a miserable experience. I'm sorry, but I no longer remember the exact details, but there were many functions I could no perform, so I returned to the older version. I'm not sure why Evernote cares which version I'm using other than I'm obviously not receiving updates, hence security risks, but if I cannot even find a way to connect with their tech support, I fear I will lose years and years of important notes. Without any explanation beyond the red banner with the alert to upgrade, I don't understand what exactly the consequences are for continuing to use the versions that work well for me. Will my account be closed? Will my notes be deleted? When would this take place?

• Level 5

@promosinc The old clients will stop syncing with the server - probably soon. This will make them useless, more or less.

No data synced with the server will be lost, you can always access them using the new v10 clients.

If you find all functions and decide to continue using the new clients is up to you. The old clients are deprecated since 2020 - you have been using them on your own peril ever since.

• Evernote Expert
  • Solution

The new mobile apps include a link to contact support but, of course, the unsupported apps do not.

The website has a support option - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?guest=true

You can try out v10 via the web browser interface if you ensure you choose to use v10. The browser is broadly similar to the desktop app minutes a few functions.

The new mobile apps work on devices with at least Android 9. So I'm not sure you will be able to upgrade on your Kindle.

Thank you, agsteele. I will do as you suggested this weekend. Yes, with the Kindle Fire, which I've had for a few years, I was surprised to see the app for the older version when I first purchased it. The red banner just started appearing on the Fire last week. 

Is it still necessary to rename my default folder when moving to the updated versions? I remember that being an issue when the new versions first came out.

• Level 5*

I agree with all the above,  but there is one issue you may encounter - with 'older' devices - pre Android 10 forinstance - the installed app cannot be used.  The device operating system cannot support it.  You would have to rely on the web page at Evernote.com in that event.  I have an old tablet and 'phone,  both still running the older version of Evernote for that reason.  They're currently for testing and lookups - I use v10 on both my main laptop and desktop devices.

And to forwarn you - since a LOT of users are adopting the new version at the moment,  Support is suffering a very high workload.  If you have issues with passwords or payments you do need to talk to them because this forum is mainly supported by other users who have no access to accounts other than our own.  

Tachnical information is available from the Help & Support link as you know,  and if you have any queries not covered there,  please feel free to post here - we'll try to help.

52 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I agree with all the above,  but there is one issue you may encounter - with 'older' devices - pre Android 10 forinstance - the installed app cannot be used.  The device operating system cannot support it.  You would have to rely on the web page at Evernote.com in that event.  I have an old tablet and 'phone,  both still running the older version of Evernote for that reason.  They're currently for testing and lookups - I use v10 on both my main laptop and desktop devices.

And to forwarn you - since a LOT of users are adopting the new version at the moment,  Support is suffering a very high workload.  If you have issues with passwords or payments you do need to talk to them because this forum is mainly supported by other users who have no access to accounts other than our own.  

Tachnical information is available from the Help & Support link as you know,  and if you have any queries not covered there,  please feel free to post here - we'll try to help.

Support is clearly overworked right now. I have 2 tickets open, one question and another a bug report and both are sitting with no response one for 2 days now.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Support is clearly overworked

Standard practice has always been to provide a Ticket number immediately,  which gives you a place in the queue,  and a human 2-3 working days later.  There are some priorities too - questions and bugs probably rank a little lower than payments and password queries.  They're busy,  yes - but (IME) there's always a response...

3 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Standard practice has always been to provide a Ticket number immediately,  which gives you a place in the queue,  and a human 2-3 working days later.  There are some priorities too - questions and bugs probably rank a little lower than payments and password queries.  They're busy,  yes - but (IME) there's always a response...

I always get a response, sometimes quicker than others but yes billing and account lockouts I'm sure are more like a day or under.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, promosinc said:

I have upgraded on my Pixel in the past, and had a miserable experience. I'm sorry, but I no longer remember the exact details, but there were many functions I could no perform, so I returned to the older version.

I just want to offer an encouraging word on this point. If you tried v. 10 in some of its earliest forms, you might very well have found it lacking. I know I did. But over time most (not all) missing features were added back, and new ones added. If you do begin to use the current version, there will definitely be a learning curve but hopefully you'll find what you need. There are lots of people here who like to pitch in with advice as well.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I just want to offer an encouraging word on this point. If you tried v. 10 in some of its earliest forms, you might very well have found it lacking. I know I did. But over time most (not all) missing features were added back, and new ones added. If you do begin to use the current version, there will definitely be a learning curve but hopefully you'll find what you need. There are lots of people here who like to pitch in with advice as well.

I used Evernote around 2012 and then never again since this year. I basically started with V10 and trying out legacy I actually found I prefer the experience in V10. I think with most pieces of software when there is a big redesign there is always resistance to change. Granted it sounds like at the very beginning there were a lot of issues that discouraged people from adopting the new version.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thank you for the encouragement, Dave-in-Decatur. I wish I could recall what the biggest issues were for me. I did "accidentally" come face-to-face with the updated version not that long ago on my Pixel 7. I have had to manually update my other apps daily in order to avoid Evernote updating and I must have accidentally updated Evernote because when I opened it, there was the new version - and I did have the same issues as in the past. I apologize for not clearly recalling what they were, but I fear I will know that rather quickly when I update - and I will be most grateful for assistance from the members of this forum. 

• Like 2