Notes returning to earlier version.

I've noticed this a couple of times since the recent outage. This morning I spent a lot of time doing research following an event yesterday, and adding lots of text, links, images, videos, etc. This evening when I wanted to share the info, my changes were gone. I managed to retrieve them from the Note history. But had I not revisited the note, I would never have noticed. I'm keeping an eye on this, for an instance that is easier to raise a ticket on. Has this happened to anyone else?

Otherwise, seems to be working well.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Are you both using the installed app or the web version?  Either way I'd suggest two things:

1. As a 'temporary' workaround - if you're creating a note and realise it will take some time,  do your heavy noting in a local app like a word processor - I use Typora as a WIP notepad - then copy/ paste to Evernote.  Working with Evernote now is just like working with a browser window - almost as stable as a local app...but not quite.
  2. If you can,  make sure that Evernote is exited on any other devices where you have it installed while you use your current device.
  3. Contact Support about this.  Get a copy of your Activity logs when it recurs too - intermittent issues are hard to track down.
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you can,  make sure that Evernote is exited on any other devices where you have it installed while you use your current device.

Thank you for your ideas, but 2. clearly defies the purpose of the much hyped 'realtime sync' doesn't it?

When this happens it looks to me that V10 issues false time stamps for the edited bits and therefore these get overwritten from the server.

Happened to me when no other devices were active as well, as I recall I was working on checklists that magically were reset to a former state.

Didn't use V10 on the Ventura mac after this so can't give more detail.

I often have Evernote open on multiple devices, and perhaps that is what happened, that my work got over-written by an earlier version of the note on another device.

Actually, I was looking how to raise a ticket on the Windows app. I have often done it from the iPhone, but in this case it was more appropriate from the laptop and I don't see a "Submit a support request" option there.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, laurence.glazier said:

I was looking how to raise a ticket on the Windows app

"Help" takes you to the 'help and learning' page and searching any topic will take you to more information and a Support link...

• Like 1

Thanks @gazumped,  I have just tried that, and searched on "lost data". Alas there was no Support link I could see. There was a chat bot which did not help.

I am confident that @Federico Simionatowill have this fixed soon anyway. I think having "Raise a support ticket" on the Help menu would be a good idea. In the meantime I will send an email to support-webform@evernote.com which I think has worked in the past.

Perhaps the problem was to do with the recent outage and may not recur. I will be using Evernote a lot more in the coming week, so will keep an eye out for it.

Laurence, FYI, I've never had much luck submitting tickets through the windows app.  I never actually get to a report screen.  Likely I'm doing something wrong on my ed but it hasn't been worth it to me to figure out.  Instead, and this is what I would suggest  -- I submit a barebones support request using my mobile device.  Then, when I get the automated email confirmation, I use the reply function to add lots of detail and attach a log.  Doing it this way is easy and reliable and doesn't seem to slow down the support process a bit.

Vinnie

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 hours ago, Feitz said:

but 2. clearly defies the purpose of the much hyped 'realtime sync' doesn't it?

If you're having an issue,  it makes sense to eliminate anything that might be contributing to it.  Plus if you're editing on another device,  do you want to watch the same edit happening (or not) on another screen?  Your choice.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

If you're having an issue,  it makes sense to eliminate anything that might be contributing to it. 

agreed of course

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Plus if you're editing on another device,  do you want to watch the same edit happening (or not) on another screen?  Your choice.

I for my part am perfectly happy with editing in one place and then have my edited note synced in one piece to Evernote servers. So far I have not come up with a use case for instantly / constantly syncing anything I write (and may later delete or edit again) and watch it being synced in real time. But If anyone has one, let me know.

Of course that does not mean that EN should not sync to other devices, but that doesn't require real-time sync and at the very least RTS shouldn't eat my edits.

I would suspect real-time sync causes a lot of unnecessary overhead to an already very troubled app. It would make sense with a large database but not with a note taking app where user input is slow compared to automatic database processes. 

• Level 5
13 minutes ago, Feitz said:

I for my part am perfectly happy with editing in one place and then have my edited note synced in one piece to Evernote servers. So far I have not come up with a use case for instantly / constantly syncing anything I write (and may later delete or edit again) and watch it being synced in real time. But If anyone has one, let me know.

Of course that does not mean that EN should not sync to other devices, but that doesn't require real-time sync and at the very least RTS shouldn't eat my edits.

Absolutely agree with the last point. As for use cases, I will sometimes have items I want to copy into or attach to a note that are easier to access on my phone than on my laptop (as an example). Obviously I'd rather type text on the laptop, but if I can pick up my phone and add something to the note, then go back to my typing, then RTE gets me somewhere. Secondly, this is not quite the same, but the sync structure underlying RTE saved my bacon very early after its introduction. I was working in Evernote on a desktop computer when there was a brief power outage, just enough to turn the PC off. I literally turned around to another desk and opened my laptop (on battery), and there was everything I had just written, minus maybe a couple of words.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

As for use cases,

I started in IT in 1986 and made a habit to do a quick save before I leave anything, but your points are both valid. 

Add a UPS for serious work, I am tempted to add... 😉

• Level 5
18 hours ago, Feitz said:

I started in IT in 1986 and made a habit to do a quick save before I leave anything, but your points are both valid. 

Add a UPS for serious work, I am tempted to add... 😉

Granted both -- I still remember, around that same era, the first time a power outage cost me some unsaved work. I became a very frequent saver thereafter. Alternatively, in what I do, a power outage can be considered an invitation to do something worthwhile not involving a screen. IAC, presently I feel confident that Evernote is grabbing what I do and saving it on a constant basis.

Support has taken up the issue, and while getting information to help them, I looked at the note history. All my note history for this note had disappeared. I had not yet identified for the team which note it was, so the loss of the note history was not to do with me raising the issue with support. As it happens I want to refer to one of the previous versions to restore a part which I had deleted. In this case I cannot re-enter it from my own memory (it was artwork in a sketch block).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, laurence.glazier said:

All my note history for this note had disappeared.

Hmmn.  Had you moved that note between notebooks,  or created a new copy of a previous note?*  Add the situation to your Support request for them to look at...

* I seem to remember that there were situations in which Note History got blanked - being restored from ENEX / moved to another notebook / copied or duplicated...  can't find a current mention of it,  and maybe that no longer applies...

• Like 1

That might be an explanation. When the additions to the Note disappeared initially, and before I subsequently managed to retrieve them from the note history, I made a duplicate copy. So maybe in the process of getting back a note which contained everything, I ended up using a version without note history. I hope that is the case, and that we can rely on note history not disappearing in normal usage! I delete my trash regularly - perhaps this is a bad idea, as otherwise I could look for an alternate version which might have the errant note history. Thanks for suggesting this possible explanation. I let support know about the note history.

However it is odd that there is no note history at all for this note, and I have definitely done some changes. I will keep revisiting it.

• Level 5*

Again,  the 'old' explanation for Note History was that a backup was run "several times per day" so if that's still the case,  with RTE I imagine that several quick changes (within a couple of hours) might be included into one backup.  Not ideal but probably better that 1,000 different versions from each individual change...

• Like 1