Sorting on location (notebook) and tags should be possible

Fredda123

Idea

Sorting on location (notebook) and tags should be possible.

This has been possible in Legacy since the beginning of time.

How come this is not possible for EN10?

I don't want AI, I want to sort based on location for example when I have a saved search for tags that spread over different notebooks.

• Like 5

16 replies to this idea

Sorting on a column is "bloatware" but adding unneeded AI features is not. Ok. Sure.

Give us back the ability to sort by tag, so that I can see groupings of common tags within a notebook, and within groups of other tags.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

How can it be ?

Maybe because you skipped v10 for 3 years, now come around the corner and want to tell everybody how software should be designed.

I don’t say it hasn’t got merit as an idea. Contact support, it’s the better place for features you miss.

The forum is user 2 user - we can tell you how things work (or don’t) if you ask.

I've been in contact with support for 3 years, this simple feature is still missing so thought I was going to try the forums.

To me it's this is just an essential function in general and it should be included from previous version. It's like using excel and you can sort on half of the columns. There is no logic to that.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

This is no Excel. Beside this Excel for me is a classical example for bloatware.

If we will see a sorting by all columns remains to be seen. 

Personally I don’t think EN should take flexibility too far. So explaining a use case is probably the key to understand why a change would be of benefit for many users.

Your arguments makes no sense.

It's just common sense to be able to sort on columns that exist.

The use case is, that my tags are notebook wide which means I have the same tags in many notes books. I'd like to somehow sort/group notebook so I see all notes togheter for that notebook.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

What some users seem to ignore: Sort by tag will only sort by the first tag, in notes carrying more than 1 tag. All others are ignored, unless the 1st is all the same. Then the second is used, and so on, cascading down the hierarchy. And for the first tag you need to tag using a certain convention to make them properly sort.

This demand is usually linked to users who use TSW, as a subgroup of GTD. It is only a small subfraction of all users, but they seem to put their specific ideas of how tags should be used as a general rule - because else sorting by tag doesn’t work.

Personally I treat this absolutism pushing one use model as a sect - one of the malicious sort, because they put their personal conviction above everybody else.

But of course this position could be seen as pretty radical as well.

• Haha 1
On 10/1/2023 at 9:14 PM, gazumped said:

So a search like notebook:<name> and Tag:<name> wouldn't be of any value??

No it doesn't help, i have my reminders as tags prio 1, 2, 3 etc. when i go through them I filter on the the tag then sort on the notebook so my notes with todos are group by project/notebook, if I need to do a search every time it's like 40 searches that is not very efficient.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Fredda123 said:

No it doesn't help, i have my reminders as tags prio 1, 2, 3 etc. when i go through them I filter on the the tag then sort on the notebook so my notes with todos are group by project/notebook, if I need to do a search every time it's like 40 searches that is not very efficient.

I agree. Here's a link to a feature request to reinstate sort by tag. Couldn't hurt to upvote it.  Thought I had posted it previously.

• Like 1
On 10/6/2023 at 6:28 PM, shawna6 said:

Sorting on a column is "bloatware" but adding unneeded AI features is not. Ok. Sure.

Give us back the ability to sort by tag, so that I can see groupings of common tags within a notebook, and within groups of other tags.

LOL ! Totally agree with U. Also miss A LOT this feature (NoteBook per NoteBook "sticky" sorting order). I don't need for AI (yet). There are STILL so many features missing from EN Legacy ! 

Have you also noticed how poorer image editor is ? When we lost Sketch back in time we've lost many features and now AGAIN, we've lost image editing capabilities, such as a simple cutting tool (croping) on our images.

Forced to leave Legacy version recently and I'm very, very frustrated with this all...

• Like 1
On 10/1/2023 at 9:49 PM, PinkElephant said:

This demand is usually linked to users who use TSW, as a subgroup of GTD. It is only a small subfraction of all users, ...

OK, but these users

• know what they do,
  • know what they want to achieve,
  • had used and use it with Legacy
  • and really like EN (at least because of tagging features and reminders)

They might be calmed down with a small enhancement within the UI. EN has to simply enable UI's (Elekton's) power to sort all colums in lists... 😤 (and enable users to add additional columns like Reminders Done Time 😉)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I agree that these users know what they do. Maybe EN will add this, maybe not.

I think that by filters and saved searches, the same result can already be achieved on the current UI. At the moment EN is focussed on making the app stable and fast, which serves all users. But it goes opposite to adding more indexes to the database, and charging the UI with displaying them.

Fortunately we can have philosophy classes here about it - since it's not us who need to decide. This GTD/TSW user group did a lot for the popularity of EN in the past, so management is probably well advised to listen to them.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This GTD/TSW user group did a lot for the popularity of EN in the past, so management is probably well advised to listen to them.

🙏 I added this statement to my dictionary of really notable comments 👍

Because I believe in EN's adaptive doing, I decided not to search for workarounds but explain really usefull older features to younger EN deciders. 😉

• Like 1
On 10/15/2023 at 5:51 PM, PinkElephant said:

Fortunately we can have philosophy classes here about it - since it's not us who need to decide. This GTD/TSW user group did a lot for the popularity of EN in the past, so management is probably well advised to listen to them.

I believe so @PinkElephant. Evernotes ambassadors and people willing to pay Evernote, are people with specific en complex workflows generally or great importance on their data and finding it back. TSW variant of GTD is one of those subcommunicaties in Evernote, alongside all kinds of variants of PKM uses.

@Federico Simionato you asked me per DM what was missing for the TSW variant of GTD, done in Evernote for decades. This thread and even more the one I paste below my next sentence, illustrate why people request and miss sorting on tags (and notebook) compared to Legacy. Whether people use tags for prioritizing as mentioned above, or full blown TSW.

• Like 1