Personal vs Professional

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

I'm not completely understanding the differences between Personal vs Professional for a non business user besides the 10 GB vs 20 GB /month upload quota. Can someone explain the key differences. What am I missing particularly in regard  to PDFs and the homepage?

Here's one difference: You can't print page numbers with Evernote Personal for Windows.  You must upgrade to Professional to print page numbers! Are you kidding me?!?  I pay $70/year and I can't print page numbers?  

image.png.3f269ebc46777bad94bd1bea32d84748.png

Another basic feature missing needed to make your printed output look more ascetically pleasing is the ability to insert a page break.  Currently, you get images split in half and text broken in random, awkward places.  I have never seen another program without it.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Page numbers and page breaks are freely available in any word-processing app.  An easy work-around is to export / copy your content into a third-party app and attach the DOCX (or whatever) output to a note.  It's possible then to edit that file on any device which also has the editing software installed.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
12 hours ago, MeganM said:

Here's one difference: You can't print page numbers with Evernote Personal for Windows.  You must upgrade to Professional to print page numbers! Are you kidding me?!?  I pay $70/year and I can't print page numbers? 

I think you missed the difference... Evernote is not intended to be a word processor or page layout application. It is a note taking program and there is and never has been pagination provided. If that's what you need then possibly a different program would suit you better.

• Like 2

Evernote is advertised as an app where you can collect all your information and I use it for exactly that. 

"Clip the web - Save web pages (without the ads) and mark them up with arrows, highlights, and text to make them more useful."

"Scan it once, save it forever - Stop chasing all the bits of paper that pile up in your life. From instruction manuals and invoices to boarding passes and receipts, relax knowing they’re always handy if you need them later."

image.png.de78d8a4ece18b446a252fc96b943623.png

Although we are striving to become paperless, there are many times when I want to print information in Evernote to use it... recipes when I want to cook them, check lists that I want a technophobe to complete, clipped/edited/annotated web pages I want to give to someone without images cut in half, etc.  Look at the picture copied from Evernote's home page above.  Are you telling me that you wouldn't want to be able print the Business Strategy from Evernote in a presentable manner, or would you prefer to copy it to Word or Excel, format it for printing, and print it out from there, every time you update it?   Why create it in Evernote to begin with?  Because you can link to tasks to support those goals and keep everything in one place.  I don't want to have copies all over the place.

I don't expect anything fancy from Evernote.  Printing page numbers is a function they have already added.  Since I wrote the post yesterday, I realized that I will be paying $130/year for Personal when my annual subscription expires in October and Evernote expects me to pay $40 more to print page numbers?!?  The ability to insert page breaks is the only other function I am looking for and is also extremely basic. 

Although Evernote started out as a basic note taking app, they now suggest they are worth $130/year & $170/year.  If they can incorporate AI in searches, I don't think basic page numbering and page breaks are too much to ask.

Thank you for the link.  I searched the Evernote website extensively for a place to provide product feedback before coming to the Community to look for information on page numbers and breaks and couldn't find one.  The link you provided is to Evernote Support and allows you to submit a ticket for Technical Issues, but I just used it anyway.

If they can incorporate AI in searches, I don't think basic page numbering and page breaks are too much to ask.

Agreed.  Other than size limits,  I don't believe I've ever seen anything from Evernote that talks about what kind of "notes" you are limited to.  Why would you even think that you should limit a note to a certain size, or that notes are not "meant" to be printed?

In general EN notes are websites - and on websites there are no "pages“.

Really?  Says who?  In general, my notes are typically text that I select in the EN web clipper.  I rarely save an entire "page" on a website (yes, they are called "web pages")

I'm not a regular on the forums, but it sure seems there are a LOT of very active users who are Evernote apologists.  Do they receive any compensation or consideration from Evernote?

You can still export any note to PDF. It seems like the more advanced PDF features are behind the paywall. Personally for a notetaking app I have no need to export my notes to PDF. If I were saving a recipe for example that I planned on printing I'd rather create it in MS Word, save it as a PDF, store that PDF with my preferred formatting already set in Evernote and then print the recipe from there. Evernote is great at OCR and searching within documents. It's meant to save paper, not create more. If you need it to create more paper then you must upgrade to the Professional version that is targeted at business customers that will need those features.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, RustyC said:

Do they receive any compensation or consideration from Evernote?

No.  Anyone that doesn't have an Employee sticker under their picture is just a helpful,  long-time,  experienced user.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 8/21/2023 at 4:50 PM, RustyC said:

In general EN notes are websites - and on websites there are no "pages“.

Really?  Says who?  In general, my notes are typically text that I select in the EN web clipper.  I rarely save an entire "page" on a website (yes, they are called "web pages")

They mean that the page layout as a whole is like a web page vs a formal word processor formatted page. The concept of pages is very clear in word documents. In Evernote, there is no 'page' except if you print one or turn it into a PDF (because printing and PDFs have page-based layouts). Web pages are not page-based layouts.