Unable to unsync second device and now Evernote is asking me to pay to login

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

I should have access to 2 devices and be able to unsync a device twice per month as a free user. Evernote isn't honoring that and is now asking me to pay. Right now evernote lists that I have access to the web and a computer. I tried to unsync access to the web so I could use it on my other computer again. It did say this was successful, but this didn't work. So I tried to unsync it from the web more times. Now Evernote says I have 0 unsyncs left this month even though it never actually unsynced my access to the web. As soon as I log in, it logs me out so I cannot view my account info. It's now prompting me to sign up for a paid account to use it, and I get logged out immediately after signing into the web now as well and cannot even see my account info. All I can see is the attached message asking me to pay for it.

I think this is a really deceptive tactic and will be going into my reviews.

Could a support person please get in touch with me to unsync my web account so I can use it on my other computer? It says online that I can submit a support email ticket, but this option is also well hidden. I was unable to find it.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app.

Thank you.

signingout.jpg

paytouse.jpg

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

There are regular reports of Free users struggling to drop devices from their account. I suspect that you cannot drop the web whilst you are accessing with web settings (which you have to do to access these settings).

Whilst I understand that you feel that is some kind of scam to force you to pay, it really isn't.  In fact it has been enforced to reduce the number of Free users who were gaming the system to keep dropping devices.

For Free users the advantage of the web client is that you can use web from multiple computers. That would be my recommendation to anyone wanting to run a Free account on more than one device.

In the meantime you can get account help as a Free user at: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?guest=true

This help page might assist you too: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218558068-Understanding-the-device-limit

• Like 1

Thank you for the response. Whether intentional or not, if I can't drop a device on my account (dropping the one with web access), it should let me know that I can't do this. I was not logged in to Evernote on the web when I tried to unsync it there. They promised being able to unsync a device twice per month with a free account. Instead, it used up my 2 times, and I can only access one account now. You indicate that there are regular reports of this. But I could find no FAQ or clear documentation for this specific issue, and no way to contact them without paying for an account. Leaving out this information does seem intentional if it's a frequent issue, and the fact that they have not prioritized a fix to this is also an intentional decision they would have had to make. I didn't say it was an outright scam, but how do you not see this as deceptive when the only solution provided is a popup to pay for an account?

Thank you for the link to support. I could not find this anywhere. Could I ask where they provide that link for people looking for it? I looked at all the logical places on their site for how to contact support for help.

I did follow the steps in the help page you provided, but it hadn't resolved my problem.

Edit: I just tried your support link. It says I need to upgrade to email support, so the forums is my only option.

upgradeforsupport.jpg

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, bb13579 said:

I just tried your support link. It says I need to upgrade to email support, so the forums is my only option.

The link to support is via the Contact option at the bottom of the help pages.  It is also included in many of the specific pages including the one I linked to regarding understanding device limits. In that case in the section "Why am I getting a device limit message when I only use Evernote on two devices?"

As @PinkElephant says about submitting the request.

I see thank you, yes. That worked for me with choosing an account. And I do see that message to contact support in the "Why am I getting a device limit message." This is what it says:

You may be getting this message because your account is still linked to a device you are no longer using. Check which devices are associated with your account by visiting the "Devices" page in your account settings.

So from this, I can infer that when I click to unsycn a device, there could be a technical issue where the unsync is unsuccessful, even though it will say that it was. What I did was went back and tried to unsync the same web account again, it still didn't work, so I tried a second time. Then it showed the message saying I can no longer revoke access and asking me to pay to upgrade (the screenshot on my original message). Is this the issue you were referring to when you said that free users regularly struggle to drop access to their devices? And then the help article I quoted above is Evernote's official response to that? There's no mention of a technical issue that people regularly report or a warning that trying to revoke the same device again will count toward my limit of unsycing 2 devices per month. I'm not trying to abuse the limit, this is the first time I've dealt with unsyncing in a long time, I just wanted to use my laptop yesterday.

I don't mean to attack you personally, but this is frustrating, and you're defending the way that evernote is handling the issue, which is a technical issue you appear to be saying is happening on a regular basis to free users. You're a paid user, and influential in this community, so I assume Evernote treats you well, but I think the steps I have taken, and my effort to find a solution are what a person encountering the issue would typically take. I provided these screenshots so you could see what is happening from the perspective of the users who encounter this issue. The only clear solution is the popup in the screenshot "Upgrade to continue using Evernote on this device." I think the combination of the fact that it's a common and known issue that they don't fix or even address, the absence of a clear solution, and the immediate request telling me I have to sign up to continue is a deceptive practice, and I don't think you or anyone else should stand behind it.

I did go to my account.There's only one account there now. The web account isn't there, but I can still only log in to one device. When I try on my other device, I can no longer unsync a device there, but when I did it was still showing my web account, and trying to unsync it again just made me exceed the limit. It doesn't matter that this point though. I've sent I've given up on it. I've sent a message to support. If I can't get evernote back on this device, I can still access it on my laptop and will have to transfer everything to word until I find another service. Either way, I'm no longer interested in Evernote and will be looking for something else.

• Level 5
  • Solution

We are not support. We are paying users - more precisely we are the people who’s payments enable EN to give others a free ride.

We are not staff either. We are forum members, and we can call white white, and black black, within forum rules of conduct. You got sound advise to reach support (not reaching it was again connected to a mistake you made on the support page).

Personally I run 2 Free accounts myself, for testing purposes. I need to unsync from time to time as well, and I never had myself stuck with no options left. So my personal experience tells me you took several bad turns to get where you are. I could be wrong, but that’s sometimes the case with experience driven reasoning.

However, you are now in contact with support. Wish you luck in solving your problem.

BTW your only problem in fact is that you stepped over the limits of the Plan you have chosen for yourself - and now want to avoid to solve the issue by simply making a one month payment. All your hazzle with support will cost more than this single payment - again burning money we paid EN to do reasonable things, not talking chichi and minimi with tight handed Free users. But that’s my own problem, isn’t it ?

Please read all of my previous posts before responding, not just parts of them. I was very clear in on the issue. I made no indication I thought you were support. Explain to me how I stepped over the limits of the plan? I attempted to unsync once. It didn't work. I attempted to unsync the same device again. It didn't work (that's 2 tries and 0 devices were unsynced). It says I get 2 unsycns per month. Not 2 attempts at unsycing. I really don't want to repeat my posts, but again, it said I used my 2 unsyncs and asked me to pay for the service, when it didn't actually unsync anything. I did not go over my limit. There was a bug in the system that has not been fixed where it thought I went over my limit. The fault is not on me for that, and I shouldn't have to pay for the service because of that. As for paying users enabling Evernote to offer a free plan, that's another topic on business that you don't seem to be aware of and I'm not even going to try to debate you on that. You do know your way around the product, and that's good, but not everyone does.

As for the rest of your rant, there's really no response I can give to defend myself if that's how you feel about people who use the free option. If you simply don't like users here because they don't click on the button to pay, I personally think that's your problem. To me, simply using a free account is not a free ride unless I'm somehow gaming the company and getting premium services while not paying. I'm using the app within the limits. I'm sorry you don't like that I don't want to pay for it, but my argument here is that I don't like the deception, so no, I absolutely will not pay.

You both gave me advice, and I thanked you both. I treated you both with respect while explaining my tone was because of my frustration and offered my perspective. You may have a grudge against people with free accounts, but that does not give you the right to treat me or any other user here who uses a free account disrespectfully like this. I see you have a lot of posts on here and don't know how you typically conduct yourself, but maybe I just struck a nerve and upset you because I'm leaving bad reviews of Evernote, but I can say that you're not helping the situation as a person who represents the Evenote community. This I guarantee will cost Evernote more money than the time I spend with support because these are thorough, detailed reviews, and now my experience with you, their unfriendly community, my only option to get help ('technical support - syncing' is the proper selection to choose for the support, my issue was a technical one, not an account problem--another example of them trying to get me to pay), does not make the company you're so concerned about regarding money issues look any better, as I will be directly quoting parts of what you've said in my reviews. It's not only unproductive to be disrespectful, but it's also contrary to the purpose of what I think should be a good user community to blame the person asking for help for the problems they're experiencing and then to so plainly complain and criticize them simply because they don't want to sign up for a paid account. As a better way to save EN money, I suggest re-reading your post and perhaps removing what you don't think I should include about the EN community. And aside from making the community you're representing look bad, unless this is how you normally treat people, and the kind of person you are, it makes you look pretty bad on a personal level as well.

• Like 1

so this is a thing?  I have been in an evernote premium user for over 10yrs.  and I Decided to drop in for Notion last year.
I'm still using Evernote for quick offline note taking.

Then suddenly this Pop's up today.
If I remember it correctly free user can log-in to 2 devices.
when it pop up.. I was curious coz I only have 2 devices that I've installed evernote.  so I proceed to click the unsync a device to find out. 

And guess what..  Evernote just go f%$&*& low. that they decided the "WEB" part is a "Device". 😂😂
why not revise the free user to 1 device instead of trying to go technical on us? 

image.thumb.png.9ba5d9eac8570f1bad6621eeacf6dfb7.png

image.thumb.png.de4731b923cdd5b6b23903065b777040.png
image.thumb.png.0d563ddb5ba9d4fb1eb18c451e512e64.png

• Level 5

@keruchan You are a user - but you are not a customer. So talking generally EN can change the rules (within some limits, but these are pretty wide) every day.

That the web client counts as a device has been announced, since late 2020. So when you decided to drop your paid account, this was already effective. You may not have noticed it, but that your problem: Using a service for Free, without learning the limits.

I wouldn't comment on this - but you sort of blame EN. Go watch into the mirror if you want to see the person responsible. Enjoy using EN, within the limits you have decided for your personal use case. Which already were there when you dropped your subscription, but even if not, it wouldn't make a difference.

as you already see.  from my screen shot.  the web was last log-in 25 months ago.  the android was last login 3 weeks ago. and today I log on to my laptop. 
if you claim it that web client counts as a device has been announced only since 2020.  then it should have pop up on my android 3 weeks ago.  actually it should have pop up on my laptop for several week already since I'm more active on my laptop.     but no it only pop up today.

I already unsync my WEB a while ago coz I don't really use that Sh*t
I was really surprise that the WEB was considered a device ...  #PFT
you can tell on how I was so conveniently using it for several months after I become a free user and suddenly out of the blue I was told to unsync. 

I know it's so hard to defend your aw so f%&# awesome software. Keep up the hard work. #PFT

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It really doesn't play a role.

You came here for assistance, and you got it. We are other users, not staff, and we dedicate time here to help.

You only put insult to fellow users on top of breaking your access by your own short sighted actions. End of the rope for me - for you it's now a cooling off for 30 days or a subscription to lift the ban on your Free account. If you have a problem taking decisions, throw a coin.

• Like 1

I am having a similar issue. I was a premium member who recently downgraded because my employer will no longer pay for the application. I unsynced/signed out/revoked access to all but 2 devices. I have repeatedly tried to unsync from the web. I get an email saying it was successfully revoked, and I see the sign out on the web, when I’m not logged into settings but instead EN for web. I restarted my device, and the app still says I am logged in to more than one device. 

Also, settings on the web lists the web as a device logged in (to make the 3rd), but under applications, it only shows the 2 correct devices (desktop and mobile device). And, I’m not getting the message that I have unsynced the limit this month of 2 devices, I just keep revoking then mysteriously getting re-added. 

IMG_0909.jpeg

Lol, I'm the one that came for assistance. Do you think I'm pretending to be different people. You don't appear to be a very helpful person, but if that's really what you're here to do like you say, you should stick with that (though my suspicion is that you've caused Evernote a lot more harm than good during your time here). You're paying Evernote with several accounts, so you have absolutely no experience with how deceptive they are and can't credibly deny the tactics they use to get paid users (please don't say again that you have 2 free accounts that you use all the time for testing purposes), but keep insulting people if you want, you're just digging a bigger hole for them. 

Evernote may be a deceptive company and they can change the rules for free users whenever they want when they can get away with it, but they are very good at resolving complaints made at BBB.org (location is Redwood City, CA). So for anyone that does have a problem: You don't need a paid account, and they don't need to break a law or a rule for you to be able to file a complaint. Though it should only be done for good reason: deception, insults, verbal abuse, etc.

Because of Pink Elephants' insulting behavior, I actually decided to just go straight there to file a complaint, instead of waiting for support. I described the situation and included a screenshot of Pink Elephants' response to me. An Evernote representative called me on the phone today, essentially apologized for Pink Elephant (my experience on this forum), and said all my devices were now unsynced. He said he had no idea why the issue occurred, and to call him back if I had any other problems instead of using the BBB site. I actually felt kind of bad, but shouldn't have because I do feel I had good reason. So I can finally now get back in the app and comfortably transfer my notes out of this company that Pink Elephant is representing here.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I am just representing myself, a fact about which you were already informed.

Turning and twisting facts with a lot of words doesn’t create truth. You are leaving the service you used for Free and lately managed to clog up for yourself - so simply do it.

• Like 1

I'll chime in as well.  I went from being a paying member to a free one.  I've unsysnced all devices, logged out of all of them, checked on the status to confirm the devices are indeed "unsysnced" - but it only allows me to access one device otherwise it gives me the unsysnc / upgrade subscripton messages others have posted. 

But you've been speaking on behalf of Evernote throughout this conversation, and the way to speak to other users on here is very demeaning. As a very active member of this forum, the automatic assumption people get is that you're an "expert" and that Evernote stands behind you and what you say. I know that's not true because in my phone call with Evernote you were apologized for, but my original assumption was that the way you feel about free users was also the way Evernote felt. Based on the fact that you felt you had to clarify that you weren't support, without my prompting, early on in the conversation, that tells me is something you're used to having to do. So you should already know this. When you insult people on here, those people come away with a bad feeling about the company.

If you really want to help your company, which depends heavily on word of mouth from all its users, my advice is something your mother should have taught you about life in general. If what you're thinking about saying is insulting, keep it to yourself. Conduct yourself with integrity and treat people with respect. At least do it on here if you want to make a difference, otherwise, I'm sorry but from what I've seen in this conversation, you're nothing but a liability to them. Whether they pay for the service or not, Evernote does consider all their active users to be customers who can help or hurt their business. It doesn't matter how quick or correct you are with your answers, you having an attitude and making it difficult for people who choose the free tier is going to do nothing but drive those people away and hurt Evernote's reputation in the long run.

• Level 5

What you understand is not what I say. What you decide to think is completely out of my influence. If you don’t use the means available to inform yourself about the forum - there is an area dedicated to this - it is your shortcoming if you reach false conclusions, not mine.

Solve your own problems with using this forum, instead of asking others to dance to your tune. Everything you ever posted here (6 posts in total) was either related to a problem you created yourself, or dedicated at patronizing others who tried to help you out.

• Like 1

And now I see you also don't like people if they don't have enough posts. How big is your list of people you're against? Even people with six posts can give the company a bad reputation. I know "you" do not care about how you make people feel, but your company does. What a person "understands" is often the only thing that matters. I'm no longer talking about "my mistake," two other people on this post alone are doing that (I observed you attack the first the same way you attacked me, what happened with the second? I guess you didn't want to further prove my point or maybe you just had to prioritize who to take on). Regardless, what I'm saying here is that while it may not come naturally for you, for the sake of helping your company, you should make a bigger effort to restrain yourself, just while on this forum. Try to have some self-discipline, and focus a little less on blame when responding to a question from people in those groups you don't like.

And I did accept the apology, which I'll consider yours, so I'll let it go. If you want to continue to be a thorn in the side of your company, you continue to be angry and keep pointing to how it's somehow the other person's fault as you "help." You're right, I shouldn't expect you to dance to my "tune." Teaching you life skills is not my job. I gave you my advice. How you act is your choice.

• Level 5
5 hours ago, bb13579 said:

I know "you" do not care about how you make people feel, but your company does

Here's what I don't understand in this thread (well, one of many): it's been made abundantly clear that neither @PinkElephant nor anybody else who doesn't have a "Staff" badge on their profile here works for Evernote. Why keep saying "your company"?

2 devices, one of which is the Web client, is a very tight limit. It used to be looser, but free users were kind of bleeding the company, so they tightened it up. They could have taken another direction, such as sticking ads into your notes or selling your personal information, or just dropping the free service altogether.  But they didn't. And they still make it possible to sign up for one month for less than $11, which would give time to get all the unwanted devices off the account and get it touch with support to address the aspects of that that aren't working right.

Ack. All this kvetching makes me hungry. I'm going down to the diner where they let me eat for free. I'll probably gripe to the paying customers about how dry the bread is.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, bb13579 said:

And now I see you also don't like people if they don't have enough posts. How big is your list of people you're against? 

nah he keeps telling he/she is not part of the company which I doubt.   coz nobody has time to reply to every single thing in a forum unless he has nothing to do in his life.   I bet he/she is a relative of an admin here who has given a sideline/extra income to keep the forum alive. 😂    as a matter of fact with 20,873 post he/she made, that would be enough data set to create a full blown A.I chatbot that has his attitude in it.  😂     I love to see one 😂

• Level 5
9 hours ago, keruchan said:

nah he keeps telling he/she is not part of the company which I doubt.   coz nobody has time to reply to every single thing in a forum unless he has nothing to do in his life.   I bet he/she is a relative of an admin here who has given a sideline/extra income to keep the forum alive. 😂    as a matter of fact with 20,873 post he/she made, that would be enough data set to create a full blown A.I chatbot that has his attitude in it.  😂     I love to see one 😂

All this imagining other people's lives.... As if I would suppose/assume/bet that someone is an entitled, precious individual who feels they have the right to stamp their foot and cry whenever something doesn't go their way. And of course complain about other people's attitudes. But of course I'm not doing that.

• Like 2

Just chiming in to say I'm experiencing this bug too. Signed in on Mac, PC, and Web; got the notification about device limit; tried twice to unsync Web unsuccessfully; now am locked out unless I sign up for a paid account. Tried to go to support, turns out you can't submit technical issues unless you've got a paid account, which is frustrating.

Was able to submit an "account" ticket though, hopefully someone can help.

I already have a paid personal account and would prefer not to have to pay for a work account too, especially since I only use it on two devices (had to sign in on Web to accept a shared note).

I am hesitant to join in this thread because I don't want to contribute to the tension but I had the same issue last week.  There is definitely a bug. 

I have been a long-time Evernote customer but I just can't justify the cost for a note-taking app going from $35/year to $129/year in just three years (it has doubled every year).  I started paying many years ago because I wanted to support the company.  I love Evernote.  But this is just ridiculous.  I made a list of all the Personal features and there were only three that I care about (Device access, Offline notes, and Note History).  I experienced the dreaded lockout last week and I freaked out because all my notes from the last 10+ years are in there and I realized how I was being held hostage.  Like I said, I love Evernote but honestly, it made me want to backup all my notes and stop using it.  Maybe it is because of the Bending Spoons acquisition; they appear to be ruining a good thing.  My free trial (which was the only thing that allowed me to access my notes on any device) expires Wednesday.  I was able to successfully remove the Web client from my device list, so we'll see what happens...

• Like 1

The trial was the only way I was able to access my notes without paying $129 for the year.  I had the same problems as others in this thread mentioned when I dropped my account to free.  I could not access my notes on any device and it said I had already reached the unsync limit.

• Level 5

There are 2 devices allowed on Free - 2 devices synced, not together with other devices, jumping between them.

You can only unsync 2 devices per month. If dropping a subscription or a trial, the devices count should be reduced before falling back to Free.

You should inform yourself before jumping with 2 feet into an adventure. The only thing safe here are your notes.

Yes, you make a good point: if you drop from a subscription to free, you need to get your device list down to two before you change it.  My point is there is a bug that others have mentioned on this thread: if you have more than two devices and you drop your paid account, the unsyncing device process doesn't work at that point (the screen freezes, devices look like they drop but they don't, you hit your unsync device limit, then you get locked out from your notes unless you pay).

And yes, if I had known I was in for an adventure, it definitely would have helped if I had seen this thread.  It just shouldn't have to be an adventure.

12 minutes ago, Who said:

Yes, you make a good point: if you drop from a subscription to free, you need to get your device list down to two before you change it.  My point is there is a bug that others have mentioned on this thread: if you have more than two devices and you drop your paid account, the unsyncing device process doesn't work at that point (the screen freezes, devices look like they drop but they don't, you hit your unsync device limit, then you get locked out from your notes unless you pay).

And yes, if I had known I was in for an adventure, it definitely would have helped if I had seen this thread.  It just shouldn't have to be an adventure.

Believe it or not, I actually did this to try to prevent device access issues BEFORE I unsubscribed. I have some really important notes and didn't want to take any chances. When I got the pop-up message, I was surprised and went back in to check. The devices that I previously removed were back. I removed all but two, saved, and logged in on my computer (one of the two remaining devices) where I got the same error message about needing to unsync. After doing it again, I was maxed out for the month and locked out.

I'm really disappointed that Evernote neglected to do proper testing before rolling out the price hike.

I'm submitting a ticket... to others who have done the same, PLEASE let me know if you've had any success with customer service or any updates to share.

19 minutes ago, Lizzymt said:

Believe it or not, I actually did this to try to prevent device access issues BEFORE I unsubscribed. I have some really important notes and didn't want to take any chances. When I got the pop-up message, I was surprised and went back in to check. The devices that I previously removed were back. I removed all but two, saved, and logged in on my computer (one of the two remaining devices) where I got the same error message about needing to unsync. After doing it again, I was maxed out for the month and locked out.

I'm really disappointed that Evernote neglected to do proper testing before rolling out the price hike.

I'm submitting a ticket... to others who have done the same, PLEASE let me know if you've had any success with customer service or any updates to share.

I'm curious, is one of your two devices the Web client?  I was trying to send a message to support and I accidentally logged into the web client.  I went to Devices to remove it but it didn't show up (it did before).  

4 hours ago, Who said:

I'm curious, is one of your two devices the Web client?  I was trying to send a message to support and I accidentally logged into the web client.  I went to Devices to remove it but it didn't show up (it did before).  

Strange...  I just went into my Devices list and removed my iPhone.  I thought I would just play it safe and get my device count down to one.  My iPhone disappeared and then it popped back into the list but the last accessed date disappeared.  I did close the app on my phone before I did this to make sure and when I run the app, it takes me to a login screen.

• Level 5

Anybody unsyncing a device should first log out of the account on this device. Then quit the app and use a working client to go to the devices page of the account, and unsync.

Here are more details:

If unhappy, contact support. The ticket type Account should be open for all users.

I opened a ticket with Evernote about the Device unsyncing not working... reaching my device unsync limit and getting locked out of my notes.  I also included a screenshot of my current Device list... even though I revoked access to my iPhone, it was still showing up.  They replied with a canned response about checking my device access history and a reminder that I can only use two devices, neither of which was helpful or addressed the real issue. 

Anyway, after several attempts, i was able to remove my iPhone from my Device list, which got my devices down to one.  My trial expired and everything worked as expected.  I was then able to re-add my iPhone and everything is working again.  

Quite a painful experience.  I think what might be happening is something in the process of going from paid to free logs you into the web client, which takes up a device and if you already have two, you get stuck because there is bug with the unsyncing process (I was able to get it to work but it took several attempts over several days).  Hopefully, this helps others in this situation. Remove all but one device before your account expires, and then you can re-add one more afterward.

• Level 5

Some hints: Log out on a device you want to skip before you unsync. The web client counts as a device. Since the web access has a double use for account and note access, a good setup for Free is the web client plus one more (usually a mobile client).

• 11 months later...

I work with technology, and this issue is a real headache, imagine people who don't play this roles every day.  But even farther, after finding the way to logging two devices, suddenly and specially when you need this more out at the street, your mobile says you have to unsync a device and it is only showing two devices connected. Is there the possibility some body could log in as incognito or any other way to make this happen this way?  

• Level 5

The limit has been reduced to 1 device. This is now one device at a time. Log out on one, and you can log in on another.

At least you will get some training in the process this way. Remember Free is for trial only - this is  not meant for any extended period of time.

Subscribe to get unlimited devices. Leave if you like other solutions better.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of the above are missing the point. Many, including me cannot even log in to unsync or get support. I was a premium user for many years, but the new approach means I will take my business elsewhere. How do I access/download my existing data? How do I contact support - is there an email? All I get is pop ups and messages saying I cannot do things - any ideas?

Screenshot 2024-08-17 at 09.34.00.png

One of your devices will most likely be logged in. Try them all see which one.

The free plan is for one device and you can switch devices twice a month, you then have to wait until the next month to do more.

The same happened to me as well: unsyncing failed - two times! - and now I am unable to log in without paying the ransom. So it is a real issue that does not require many turns.