I just updated my app on Mac and it seems there are a couple of serious bugs that are hindering my ability to use the Evernote app on my iMac and my Laptop. All was fine until I updated on both :(

My IT guy checked out my iMac and my laptop and all is good with them. He said there is more than likely a bug with this lates Evernote update.

No matter which notes I try to open, I get a drop-down message: " Permissions lost. You no longer have access to Patients Files on notebook.

Also, since this update, and just before the permissions lost issue started, I noticed that double-clicking on saved documents within a note won't allow them to open up separately anymore, so I can't work on a few documents at one time.

I am a health practitioner and I use Evernote exclusively for my patients.

I hope these bugs can be fixed VERY soon.

I have submitted my issues to the help department but still haven't heard back from them.....

Looking forward to hearing from someone who can help me.

Thanks very much

J

• Like 1

A number of us have reverted back to 10.58.8 because of issues with 10.59. While there are some common threads, it seems everybody's experience is subtly different. May be that's just because everytbody uses EN in a slightly different way and we are each seeing a different subset of problems. Otherwise, I do hope there is one underlying cause leading to many different problems or this may never get sorted out.

• Like 3

Indeed!

Not sure why there's such a rush to keep updating when there are so many bugs that haven't been attended to from previous updates.

How does one revert back to 10.58.8?

11 minutes ago, JoLip said:

How does one revert back to 10.58.8?

I'm on Windows so I don't know if this translates to Mac. I uninstalled 10.59 and then just ran the 10.58 installer file which was still in my downloads folder.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If one keeps the DMG file on his drive, a reinstall is possible. From the AppStore it’s not.

Hint: Uninstalling first with the app AppCleaner can avoid conflicting settings. It means a new download of the local database as well.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, JoLip said:

I have submitted my issues to the help department but still haven't heard back from them.....

Please post your ticket number here - we can at least flag it for someone to look at.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  There are actually quite a few posts about issues with 10.59 so i'd suspect the support team are a lttle frantically busy - I'll flag your ticket however so hopefully you'll get some direct feedback.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, AK7 said:

I am getting the same "permissions lost" thing on Windows Evernote.

Really ridiculous stuff.

All the apps on various OS's are essentially the same base code just being converted by Elektron into different local actions.  If an update has issues in one OS it will probably affect them all.  If you're complaining that an update has a fault - welcome to computing.  A fix should be along shortly.

• Like 1

Been using the web for my work, but even this seems to have bugs.....

1. I'm not able to double-click on a note in the left-hand column to open it up as a stand-alone note - this feature is imperative for my work. I noticed this bug in the latest updated app as well, just before it broke.

2. I'm not able to open my Penultimate notes on the web at all either - another very important feature for my work.

Does anyone have a good workaround idea for this while we wait for the bugs to be fixed please?

• Level 5

(1) is no bug at all - it simply is not possible to open a specific note in a new window in the web client. This would make no sense, because there is no note window - it is a browser, and inside of the browser there is a tab with the EN app. 

(2) My few Penultimate notes open without any problem in the web client. They are read-only, because modifications need to be done in the Penultimate app.

BUG in 10.59.5-win-ddl-public (5236)
Editor: v174.13.3
Service: v1.70.3
© 2019 - 2023 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

SEARCH bug:  searching ALL notes for, i.e., "Dehumidifier" when pressing enter EN app blinks but still shows ALL notes.

Clicking search and clicking on the same search word gives me proper results. 

=======================

SECOND BUG  - "Permissions lost."   error dialogue box

The dialog box contains the following error message. I have seen it twice today. I click continue. The message is a mistake. I am the only user with permission to access everything.   This looks like a bug in the recent update. 

----

"Permissions lost" 

You no longer have access to the Notebook_name notebook. 

---

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Kuranda said:

The message is a mistake. I am the only user with permission to access everything.   This looks like a bug in the recent update. 

Lots of discussion on that elsewhere.  Only option is to wait until next week when we're expecting a fix.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

until next week when we're expecting a fix.

I admire your optimism. The thing I read said there would be bug fixes, but I've not seen any suggestion that they will be for any of the 10.59.5 issues. 

Personally I've rolled back to 10.58.8. I will evaluate 10.60 when it arrives but be quite prepared to go back to 10.58.8 if it it doesn't deliver.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Optimists and pessimists live the same lifes, but the optimists get more out of it. So why no be optimistic these days … ?

For example I am optimistic that EN staff have noticed and are working to correct their QA procedures, to make new updates better and not worse than the version they replace.

Isn’t that a good use for some optimism ?

😉

• Like 1

(1) is no bug at all - it simply is not possible to open a specific note in a new window in the web client. This would make no sense, because there is no note window - it is a browser, and inside of the browser there is a tab with the EN app. 

Ok, I understand that wrt to web. But as I said : I noticed this bug in the latest updated app as well, just before it broke. This is what makes me think it's a bug that needs to be corrected in the app too.

(2) My few Penultimate notes open without any problem in the web client. They are read-only, because modifications need to be done in the Penultimate app.

You're very lucky.....mine won't open at all!

• Level 5

On my Mac I am running 10.59.5, latest update, direct download, not broken, and I can open any note in it's own window.

On the web for reasons I have explained, this was never a possibility, because the browser won't allow a website to break out of the browsers grip into the OS just like that. If the browser allowed for it, it might be a security problem.

20 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

On the web for reasons I have explained, this was never a possibility, because the browser won't allow a website to break out of the browsers grip

Evernote wouldn't need to break out of the browsers grip to open a note in it's own floating. I do this all the time with the gmail web interface.

It's a standard web feature: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Window/open

The reason you can't do it in the Evernote web app is because the Evernote devs haven't built that feature for the web version.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

The reason you can't do it in the Evernote web app is because the Evernote devs haven't built that feature for the web version.

I think things may be a tad more compllicated than that.  Google are linking their window to the ongoing edit of an email.  I can easily open my Evernote web in its own window using Chrome - just open normally,  create a shortcut,  and choose the "open in own window" option.  The shortcut won't open another instance of Evernote however - the first one just pops up again.  While the new sync process may allow two separate devices to connect on sepratea channels,  there must be some voodoo about two connections back to the server from the same browser link.  I can have one instance of Evernote web as a browser tab or a separate window,  but two instances won't work....although separate connections will work with Elektron and Chrome.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

While the new sync process may allow two separate devices to connect on sepratea channels,  there must be some voodoo about two connections back to the server from the same browser link.

I can have one instance of Evernote web as a browser tab or a separate window,  but two instances won't work

Not sure what you are talking about there. I can open multiple instances of Evernote in the same browser and I could do it even before the new sync infrastructure (you'd just run a higher risk of getting conflicts). Here are six:

image.thumb.png.6e31b423fb61665ca32f34596461137d.png

These are all full instances of Evernote though -- not a popup window opened from an in-app note link that could be implemented if they wanted to (time, money, ROI considerations, priority, etc, etc).

I think things may be a tad more compllicated than that. 

I said nothing about the complexity of implementation, but the technology already exists within a browser's capabilities.

And this has nothing to do with Evernote specifically. This is web dev in general.

Here is the summary from the earlier provided MDN link: (MDN is one of the most well renowned sites for web dev documentation)

Popup windows are used rarely, as there are alternatives: loading and displaying information in-page, or in iframe.

If we’re going to open a popup, a good practice is to inform the user about it. An “opening window” icon near a link or button would allow the visitor to survive the focus shift and keep both windows in mind.

• A popup can be opened by the open(url, name, params) call. It returns the reference to the newly opened window.
  • Browsers block open calls from the code outside of user actions. Usually a notification appears, so that a user may allow them.
  • Browsers open a new tab by default, but if sizes are provided, then it’ll be a popup window.
  • The popup may access the opener window using the window.opener property.
  • The main window and the popup can freely read and modify each other if they have the same origin. Otherwise, they can change location of each other and exchange messages.

Also -- for what it's worth -- I'm a web dev and I've implemented a popup window -- just like the earlier Gmail provided example -- in one of my own organization's app.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Optimists and pessimists live the same lifes, but the optimists get more out of it. So why no be optimistic these days … ?

For example I am optimistic that EN staff have noticed and are working to correct their QA procedures, to make new updates better and not worse than the version they replace.

Isn’t that a good use for some optimism ?

😉

I'm very optimistic that it will get fixed - just not by next week. Whenever I have been told by EN support that the bug I have reported has been acknowledged and fixed it is always for a couple of releases time. Obviously this bug, for those of us who are affected, is more serious, so maybe it will get escalated and fixed next week.

• Like 1

Is there any update on this problem now that it is "next week"? Should I submit my own ticket? I am getting the "Permissions Lost" error every time I search a specific notebook. When I search from my Notebooks list view, sometimes the search works (it never worked before I restarted my computer this morning, so this is a huge improvement). I'm using 10.59.5 on Mac.

• Level 5*
On 8/4/2023 at 5:44 PM, TC5 said:

Is there any update on this problem now that it is "next week"? Should I submit my own ticket? I am getting the "Permissions Lost" error every time I search a specific notebook. When I search from my Notebooks list view, sometimes the search works (it never worked before I restarted my computer this morning, so this is a huge improvement). I'm using 10.59.5 on Mac.

Download 10.60 from Evernote.com now.

Just wondering how much longer it will take for these bugs to be fixed?

It's been 3 weeks and there doesn't seem to be any sign of improvement.

Even the Web version is showing 'Permissions Lost'.

And my support person who initially gave me a 'ticket' hasn't given me any support at all. Beyond giving me a 'ticket', I haven't heard another word from 'Daniel. A'. 

Would be so good if someone in the tech department would let us know approximately how much longer it will take to get on top of this problem. It's impossible for me to work like this.

• Level 5

10.60 is rolled out already, and it fixes most of the issues.

The direct download has already arrived, If you use the AppStore version, it will take a little longer.

Beside this, there are simple workarounds. The easiest on desktop if the "Permission Lost" shows is to type cmd-R to force a reload of the page. Or search without a preselection, and when the full list shows, add a filter.

But as told, the best move is to update the client.