Moving app data from C: drive to another drive where there is more space.

Hello. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to move my database from my 😄 drive to a new location, because it says my app data location is almost full. I have the free 2023 version. Can anyone offer any help? :)

• 2 weeks later...

EN has auto update my desktop app to ver 10.59.5 but I still do not see the option to change DB folder. I do get the option to turn off the Low Space warning.

My release notes have these listed only. Is this becoz my desktop is on the Free plan and the Change DB folder option is only available for the Paid Plans?

New

• Added option to disable Low Hard Drive Space warning
  • Added option to disable Open Local File warning (handling file:// links)
  • Added option to disable Open External Application warning (handling file:// links)

Fixed

• Set Low Hard Drive Space limit to 5GB before showing warning
  • Performance improvements and miscellaneous bug fixes
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Weird.  Haven't seen anything to suggest the feature is subscriber only.  If you have the time you could sign out of Evernote,  opting out of saving data on this device;  then uninstall the app using something like Revo Uninstaller Free (windows) or Appcleaner (Mac) which will delete the files and OS usually leaves behind,  then power the device of and on again and re-download and reinstall the app.  That'll take a little while....

33 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Weird.  Haven't seen anything to suggest the feature is subscriber only.  If you have the time you could sign out of Evernote,  opting out of saving data on this device;  then uninstall the app using something like Revo Uninstaller Free (windows) or Appcleaner (Mac) which will delete the files and OS usually leaves behind,  then power the device of and on again and re-download and reinstall the app.  That'll take a little while....

Yup that would have been my next-steps. But thought of checking in here first to see if this is due to mine being a Free Plan app.

If that's not the case, will do the above and give an update here on the outcome.

1 minute ago, jack208 said:

Yup that would have been my next-steps. But thought of checking in here first to see if this is due to mine being a Free Plan app.

There is a possibility that its a paid feature. I've asked the question, would be interesting to know.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

On a Free plan (unless it was downgraded from a subscription earlier) moving the database would not result in much.

Monthly upload limit 60MB * 120 months would be 7.2GB after 10 years - if every single month the upload limit was fully used, and only for adding new content.

But OK, let’s wait for the check if it is a subscriber feature.

36 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

On a Free plan (unless it was downgraded from a subscription earlier) moving the database would not result in much

Sometimes the relocate is not to save spaces, but to move the DB into a designated folder that's being picked up by backup apps for regular archiving.

ok.. reinstalled completed. Still no option to move database. So it might be a "paid" feature.

This is how I un- and re-install

• Select NOT to keep database locally then sign out of Evernote (do not make backups)
  • Uninstall Evernote app
  • Revo Uninstaller Pro 5 to do a full removal incl regkey stuff etc
  • Restart laptop
  • Re-install Evernote app from Windows App Store
  • DB is selected by default to be kept locally but no option to move db.

Let's wait to hear from Evernote on whether this is a "paid" feature.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, jack208 said:

Re-install Evernote app from Windows App Store

That might be your issue.  If you try again,  use the Evernote.com route - App Stores sometimes offer slightly different versions for their own perceived security reasons...

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

That might be your issue.  If you try again,  use the Evernote.com route - App Stores sometimes offer slightly different versions for their own perceived security reasons...

Yeah try this @jack208 I've just loaded up my free version of Evernote and can see the feature to move the database.

• Like 1

YES! We solved the issue. So it seems the Win Store has a retarded ver of the same 10.59.5 (even the release num is the same 5236) but the Move DB is only available in the Win Desktop app.

Thanks everyone for helping to troubleshoot this. Now you can add this inconsistency note to your help file.

(see attached)

image.png

• Like 2
On 8/1/2023 at 4:29 AM, Jon/t said:

There is a possibility that its a paid feature. I've asked the question, would be interesting to know.

I'm a Pro paid subscriber and I don't see the option to move the database. 

I'm running macOS Ventura v 13.5 and Evernote v 10.59.5 and when I check upgrades, Evernote says that I have the latest version... 

Also - it's also only possible to move the database if you are using the direct download from the Evernote website. If you got the app through the App Store, you won't be able to move the database location.

• Evernote Expert
4 hours ago, philrodo said:

I'm a Pro paid subscriber and I don't see the option to move the database. 

I'm running macOS Ventura v 13.5 and Evernote v 10.59.5 and when I check upgrades, Evernote says that I have the latest version... 

Unless you have the Mac Store application. I'm not sure the option is available in the store app - someone will remind us :)

• Like 1