Client Not Supported, Please Upgrade - Evernote Free for Mac

angelinacmurray

Idea

29 replies to this idea

Seriously? yesterday my client (which forecefully updates itself nearly everyday in the least appropriate time) was supported, and today it's not?
I understand that updates are necessary to throw a new portion of popups and banners at me, but that's ridiculous.

• Like 2

My boss does not have a free account - I believe he has a Professional Subscription - He can Log In if he does so on the Web browser but he's unable to Log In from his Desktop Shortcut Icon?   

Is there another solution to this problem?

His password has not changed....

Do I need to uninstall Evernote and reinstall it?

Thanks

• Level 5*
On 12/20/2023 at 2:12 PM, Bridgitte Fife said:

Do I need to uninstall Evernote and reinstall it?

Try uninstalling it and then download the latest version from the Evernote website, not from the Apple App Store.

Hello Everyone - I didn't receive a single message about upgrading or losing content.  Not one. the message of unsupported appeared for me yesterday...and I am now missing notes.  When I login to my new installation of Evernote 10.75.1 (coming from 10.47.7) the cloud sync brings in my notes, but it's missing all my notes from this week - which is troubling.  I guess my older version didn't sync to the cloud from Monday forward.  I can't open the older version to retrieve those notes or resync.  Is there a way to retrieve the note manually through my local file structure - presumably in the library folders for Evernote?  I'm on Mac OS 12.6.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

@PinkElephant I am a developer myself and I understand the necessity of updates, but, they should not disrupt the user experience.
I rely on Evernote as a tool where I store some critical information I may need immediate access to.
Now imagine that I am e.g. on the call and need to access my notes. I'm starting Evernote and see that I was logged out and the current version is suddenly not supported anymore. I even cannot upgrade automatically, and manually downloading the new version from the website and installing it takes some time.
So basically the software fails me.
I am not opposed to updates, but can please make them not so obtrusive?

• Like 1

Despite the very judgmental post suggesting otherwise, I update every time Evernote asks me to update, and yet I still received the lockout message. Was I supposed to somehow guess that I needed to do a completely clean install? Why wouldn't the lockout just be a read mode of local files? Like another user here, I've lost notes that hadn't synced yet. This is making me seriously reconsider Evernote.

• Level 5*

If you are on the free plan you are only allowed access from two devices and the web is considered one.  Click on account (your name) and then devices to see how many devices you are connected to and adjust if needed.

• Level 5

Nothing is ridiculous. The EN team has invested a lot of work into the backend: Better sync, faster reactions, enhanced reliability. This has meant changes in the data structure.

It is ridiculous - to use your own words - to expect all users to wait until the last user is willing to keep up.

The latest version as of this is 10.75, 10.74 and 10.73 are in distribution as well. This depends on whether you downloaded yourself, or relied on the updater.

Everything older is outdated, and everything below maybe 10.53 is no longer supported.

In other words: We don’t care when you shoot yourself into the foot by not updating.

• Level 5

The new software was introduced in 2020. At the same time all older clients were declared deprecated.

I think a cutover period of more than 3 years should be more than sufficient. Anybody could find the tiny time slot to make the move.

In the end we have a small group of users who have dug in on the old client, for reason or for not wanting to switch. I don’t expect EN to carry on support forever. Enough is enough - since the introduction of RTE keeping these users clients in sync costs real money, and hinders further progress.

It would be a fail to all users if the parallel operation would be continued „ad infinitum“.

Thank you, some of the above responses helped me when I ran into the same issue today. It is worth noting that an update via the App Store also resolves this now, and a direct download from the website does not appear to be necessary.

Additionally, the responses chastising those who were taken aback by the unexpected error and inability to login - despite having allowed the usual updates and being unaware that uninstallation and installation of a completely new version was expected - are not especially helpful. I also needed to resolve something time-sensitive, and had to make a plan by accessing a document on another device, then sharing it to my Macbook, while resolving this issue, and can relate to the frustration expressed by others. The attempts to defend hardworking EN employees are noted, but don't necessarily make others' frustrations less valid. Thank you.

For future reference, it might be helpful to keep in mind that the web client is always available and gives you the most accurate view of your data on Evernote's systems.

Vinnie

• Level 5

The AppStore version has given problems in the past. It is the same software, but MacOS only allows it to run in a sandbox mode. We had problems reported in the forum since ever, mainly in cooperating with other apps that could be solved by using the direct download.

I had this problem today when I tried to open Evernote on my laptop (Client not supported please upgrade). I logged into Evernote and downloaded and installed the latest version. Now I have no notes on my laptop.  As others said, I do install when’re prompted.  I am on Evernote Personal (pay).  The version I downloaded is 10.77.3

It's happening to me on all my computers (Windows). I have a premium account and always download the newest version. After re-installing, it works. However, after the next start of the computer, the same message appears again.

I have version 7 installed on MacOS and got the message saying working till March 23 but on version 6 no message so far and still works to this day, but who knows if it is going to work past the date or not.

• Level 5

The latest legacy version on MacOS is 7.14. On Windows it is 6.25 - that’s why most people speak about version 6 when they mean legacy.

All legacy clients will stop syncing on the 23rd of March 2024 - this includes the version you are currently running on the Mac.

You either install the current version 10 client - which requires MacOS 10.14 as minimum system requirement. Or you start using the web client in any modern browser. Your notes are already on the server (except any notes in local only, not synced notebooks). Once you log in with the new client, your notes will be automatically connected and downloaded (installed client) or showing (web).

If you have any unscynced local only notebooks, you need to take care of these yourself. But check if you have - most legacy users never used this feature.

Nevermind I just noticed the version 6 notes didn't update for last 2 months.  Assuming the version 6 can't connect to synchronize, it means it will stay offline and I can export my notes anytime? No rush by the 23rd of March?

100 notebooks, I get to right click and export one by one, I thought I can do all notes with notebooks structure. But looks like can't. That's stinks. 

If running version 7, it says I will not be able access notes. So will it lock me out of Evernote as some people report getting locked out of notes? This is madness. 

After 23rd of March I will not be able to export my notes from the electron client?  Looking around some people mention maximum 50 notes can be exported at a time. I have about 100 notebooks and about 20.000 notes. If I do 50 notes at a time, I will finish by the time I will be ready to retire.

• Level 5

First I am not willing to accept your aggressive tone here. We are other users, trying to help. Tone it down to civilized, or I am out.

Nobody of us knows what will be after the 23rd of March. You are invited to try and find out. If your client stopped syncing 2 months back, these notes are at risk. Everything on the server can be opened by v10 at any time.

The export of legacy allows to export „All“. Which, as you clearly says, will not keep the information in which notebook the note was. There is a backup project on GitHub - but it will export from the server. Unsynced notes will not be saved.

To use the client you need to have it logged in before the 23rd of March, and keep it logged in, but (sounds like a contradiction) cut from internet access. Open, log in, now quit it - NEVER again log out. Use the Mac firewall (or a 3rd party solution) to cut the EN client from the internet access. You will continue to use it in eternal offline mode then. You can open it, close it, restart the Mac, whatever, just never log out. I regard this as academic, because key functions are lost in this use, but who wants it can get it.

From v10 you have the same working export option as from legacy: Export any notebook, any size.