Some notes take too long time to load

• Evernote Expert

This is connected to the new real time editing. Apparently notes need to be 'converted' when they are first opened with RTE enabled. 

It should settle down as you access notes.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

This is connected to the new real time editing. Apparently notes need to be 'converted' ...

I met this also with newly created notes on one device that take (tooo) long to be available completely on an other. There is no conversion necessary... But it is hard to reproduce 😉

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, agsteele said:

This is connected to the new real time editing. Apparently notes need to be 'converted' when they are first opened with RTE enabled. 

It should settle down as you access notes.

I hope it is temporarily as you said; let's see how it goes after a while

So after a while, I'm starting to see a pattern here. This is happening to almost every new note that I haven't opened in a while (probably before the real time editing feature was rolled off). It is really annoying and it doesn't look like it will go away because there will always be new notes. This is a bad side effect and should be worked on as the user experience is taking a big hit. I open a new note and have to wait a long while before I see its contents 

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Faisal Malallah said:

So after a while, I'm starting to see a pattern here. This is happening to almost every new note that I haven't opened in a while (probably before the real time editing feature was rolled off). It is really annoying and it doesn't look like it will go away because there will always be new notes. This is a bad side effect and should be worked on as the user experience is taking a big hit. I open a new note and have to wait a long while before I see its contents 

Yes, this is what's happening. The conversion has to be done somehow, sometime. I don't know what options Evernote considered; I suppose they could have installed a separate process on every user's computer to run this conversion in the background, but that might eat up resources for people with large numbers of notes, or might be considered a security risk. Of course, in the Web client or on a mobile device with little or no local storage of notes, I presume the conversion is done on the server and then synced and displayed. (That might explain why several times today a note didn't open in the Web client at all, until I clicked away and clicked back.)

I feel like the delay seems to be somewhere in the range of 5-10 seconds (I haven't actually been timing it), usually on the lower end of that range. I notice it, but I don't find it obnoxious. But we all have our different perceptions. Perhaps (I offer this in good humor) while one waits one might say a quiet affirmation, such as "The world is fine, and everything is developing as it should." Say that once or twice and the note should be open, and your tensions should have dissipated. Or say, "*** **** it, when will this ****ing piece of **** ever open?" Whichever one gets you through the 10 seconds better; they take about the same time. As a scientific experiment, try both ways, and take your blood pressure each time. 😃😄

Related question - paid user, "Evernote Professional," using mainly Evernote for desktop (Macbook Air 2020 M1 chip, running latest Mac OS, Ventura). Are our notes still housed locally, or are they only in the cloud now? Thanks for any insights.

I've just noticed this problem.  I did a search on a word and instantly received a list of some 40 notes.  When I click on one of these notes, it can take up to a minute before the content of the note is visible.  These are really small text-only documents, too.   I do see in the lower right corner a message saying "Saving".   It seems odd that the search can respond promptly but that the display of one document is forever.  This is totally unacceptable.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you searched the forum before posting you would have learned that EN changed the notes data structure to enable RTE (Real Time Editing), You would have seen as well that when a note with the old data structure is opened, it gets converted, and this takes a moment.

As a regular forum contributor I could say it is totally unacceptable that you didn’t search the forum before posting. But we are used to have to explain everybody the same situation over and again, so don’t bother.

Ok, my bad.  My apology.  (I thought I was doing quite well even finding this thread.  )

When I'm having to search through 40 documents and I'm looking at having to wait for 30 minutes to get through all of them, wouldn't you concur that is at best, unacceptable?  For years the search/filter has worked just fine:  Type in a word, boom, there's the list.  Pick a note, boom, there it is with the word high lighted.  It was instantaneous.  Perhaps RTE is seen as a great step forward for many.  But for little old me, it is a step backwards.  I just am puzzled why it takes so long?  My documents are small - usually less than a 1000 words. 

My frustration got the better of me. 

• Level 5

Don’t know why the conversion in some cases take impossibly long on small notes, and larger others are converted in seconds.

But this currently is the dominant issue in the forum, you just need to scroll a little. Sorry for a pointed response, but we are just users, and we have explained what’s going on again and again.

• Level 5

@Mike Archuleta, the delay due to converting a note to the new sync structure only happens the first time it's opened. After that it should be as speedy as before. But of course searching and going through a lot of notes that date back to before May 2023 (when the new structure was implemented) is going to take that time for each note. As @PinkElephant said, there are lots of threads on this, e.g.: