Bending Spoons uninstalled my legacy Windows app.

I got a notification that a new version for Windows (398256) was available. I selected "install now" and in the process, it uninstalled my legacy version 6.25 from my computer... Am I dreaming? Anyone else?

24 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

That’s the regular procedure when you upgrade to v10.

It use to be possible to install legacy again after the upgrade. If this is still possible I don’t know. If in doubt, contact support.

First of all, I did not upgrade, I just installed the update to my version 10.55

When I upgraded a few months ago, I was able to download and install the legacy version. Now it's not available anywhere...

29 minutes ago, Reuven said:

First of all, I did not upgrade, I just installed the update to my version 10.55

When I upgraded a few months ago, I was able to download and install the legacy version. Now it's not available anywhere...

I have the same problem after update to version 10.55

Now we don't have a working html backup anymore. When will they finally fix their half baked implementation ?

I had the legacy install app on my hard drive. I successfully installed it, but now the version 10 and legacy conflict with each other and I may have to uninstall one of them...

Just now, PinkElephant said:

This is nothing we fellow users can do anything about.

Contact support - I have posted the link above, in case anybody has a problem to find the access.

I already contacted support. I'll report when they reply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Reuven said:

I had the legacy install app on my hard drive. I successfully installed it, but now the version 10 and legacy conflict with each other and I may have to uninstall one of them...

What exactly do you mean by conflict? You can't run them simultaneously?

43 minutes ago, Reuven said:

Correct!

So you can still run both, but not at the same time? I can live with that limitation of having to stop the other first. But do you really need to uninstall?

17 minutes ago, eric99 said:

So you can still run both, but not at the same time? I can live with that limitation of having to stop the other first. But do you really need to uninstall?

NO. When I start the legacy, both start up and interfere with each other. None is usable.

• Level 5

This may be too obvious, so apologies if you've looked into it already, but how are you starting the programs? From a desktop shortcut, the Start menu, a toolbar icon, etc.? I wonder if somehow a registry entry has got a duplication, starting both programs.

• Level 5

Just tried on my MacBook.

First I got a notification in v10 that a new version is ready to update. So I loaded v10.56. Release notes tell nothing, they really are not taking any effort there any more. But the app opened as before, no issues.

Then I started legacy, with v10 still open. Legacy started, it shows the known issues (narrow note window, missing pdf plugin), and it started to sync right away. No problem there, it finished syncing after a short wait, and shows all notes, like in v10.

So from what I can try, there is nothing different to before.

• Level 5*

I've found older versions of software with web searches before now*,  and I currently have Legacy and 10.55.2 co-existing on my Windows 11 desktop - if you're getting some kind of conflict I'd suggest finding the Legacy Databases folder and copying that somewhere safe,  then uninstalling everything,  restarting,  and reinstalling everything.  There would appear to be some errors in one or both current installations.

Support,  I assume,  is going to tell you that you should update and will not otherwise support Legacy issues.

*NB I also found the Legacy installer on my system at one stage - so do a local search for Evernote.exe files just in case!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

I've found older versions of software with web searches before now*,  and I currently have Legacy and 10.55.2 co-existing on my Windows 11 desktop - if you're getting some kind of conflict I'd suggest finding the Legacy Databases folder and copying that somewhere safe,  then uninstalling everything,  restarting,  and reinstalling everything.  There would appear to be some errors in one or both current installations.

Support,  I assume,  is going to tell you that you should update and will not otherwise support Legacy issues.

*NB I also found the Legacy installer on my system at one stage - so do a local search for Evernote.exe files just in case!

Yes, but have you tried to update to the latest windows update 10.56.8 ?

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Not yet - 10.55.2 is still "the latest version" according to it.  I'll wait until I catch up.

• Level 5

Yesterday night I got an update notice on my MacBook. I installed, it was 10.56. Working OK, from the release notes it is a bug fix and efficiency update, whatever it means.

The update had no negative impact on my legacy installation. It started as before in parallel to v10, was syncing and all. As known it has some deficiencies that came with MacOS Ventura.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Yesterday night I got an update notice on my MacBook. I installed, it was 10.56. Working OK, from the release notes it is a bug fix and efficiency update, whatever it means.

The update had no negative impact on my legacy installation. It started as before in parallel to v10, was syncing and all. As known it has some deficiencies that came with MacOS Ventura.

Perhaps because you are on Mac. I am a Windows 10 user. When I open the legacy, the 10.56 opens up as well. At that point I can not close the 10.56 - it insists on staying open.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Reuven said:

When I open the legacy, the 10.56 opens up as well.

Hi.  If you are a subscriber,  please contact support.  If not,  you might like to try to uninstall v10 completely,  including your data;  find and copy your Legacy EXB file(s) and then uninstall that app too;  then restart your device and reinstall everything.

On 5/3/2023 at 8:39 AM, eric99 said:

I did. If you respond to the pop-up, it indeed tries to uninstall Legacy, as previous versions did not. It does however warn you in advance. Always read what installers tell you. I declined. I clicked "Check for udpates" in v10. It [v10.55.x] said there was NO update at that time, curious. It did download 10.56.8 in the background however, and the left bar showed "relaunch for new version", after that I had 10.56.8.  On my second laptop I tried the same, it is reproducable. It seems to want to uninstall legacy first time it detects 10.56.8, however, refusing to continue the installer prevents that from happening. Now I have 10.56.8 and legacy on multiple laptops, Working alongside as before. No problems starting or closing either 10.x and/or legacy, in whatever order I want. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 7:21 PM, MvdH said:

Now I have 10.56.8 and legacy on multiple laptops, Working alongside as before. No problems starting or closing either 10.x and/or legacy, in whatever order I want. 

Thanks for that!  Do you - or can you - run both Legacy and v10 at the same time, referencing the same Notes database?  Just curious, I wouldn't want to, and I'd have thought there might be database locking issues.

55 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You can run both side by side on the same computer. Each install has its own database. Install v10 first, then (re)install legacy.

The worst problem can be syncing issues when using both in parallel.

And that is a relatively small problem. Worst case you get a duplicate note, when editing unsynched/pending notes on two installations at the same time or before sync has finished. 👍

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AHB said:

Thanks for that!  Do you - or can you - run both Legacy and v10 at the same time, referencing the same Notes database?  Just curious, I wouldn't want to, and I'd have thought there might be database locking issues.

They have both a local cache/copy/database for each of them like @PinkElephantsays. No problems there. They both do sync to the same server-side database/data at Evernotes servers. At least, if you login to the same account.