Missing thumbnails (in notes from android app)

Anybody else having problems with missing preview pics/"thumbnails", with notes from the android app?

I was in contact with support about this in january. As usual, they couldn't/wouldn't help. haven't heard anything from them since, and the problem hasn't been fixed yet.

Seems that:

• when taking a picture note, or adding a picture in a note, the thumbnail doesn't work.
  • when adding a picture as an "attachment" in a note, the thumbnail works [almost fine, it just  doesnt's recognize picture orientation]

Thumbnail in drawings and web-captures from android app works ok.

1 hour ago, janndk said:

Anybody else having problems with missing preview pics/"thumbnails", with notes from the android app?

I was in contact with support about this in january. As usual, they couldn't/wouldn't help. haven't heard anything from them since, and the problem hasn't been fixed yet.

Seems that:

• when taking a picture note, or adding a picture in a note, the thumbnail doesn't work.
  • when adding a picture as an "attachment" in a note, the thumbnail works [almost fine, it just  doesnt's recognize picture orientation]

Yes, I have the same problem, but it doesn't bother me because I don't use the terrible slow android client anyway  (shooting a photo and saving the note takes minutes)

2 hours ago, janndk said:

Seems that:

No, mine is working fine in Android, both on My Tablet & Phone.

• Level 5*

Seems weird - I only use my (old) android phone as a look-up and occasional camera/ scanner,  but the setup is quick and generates both image and thumbnail quickly.. but scratch that:  it's Legacy android,  not v10.  On my v10 tablet... I'm about 3 minutes into syncing the pic I just took,  but no thumbnail yet..  No sync either... :(

EDIT:  Update - several minutes later I have both image and thumbnail,  but it took a while...

I installed EN in my Lenovo tablet (which I normally use only for reading e-books).

EN app is extremely slow - but thumbnails and autoscan are working. 

My mobile is Samsung. As I recall, there has been EN-problems with Samsung mentioned several times here at the forum. So I guess the Evernote android app is not fully compatible with Samsung mobiles?

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, janndk said:

I guess the Evernote android app is not fully compatible with Samsung mobiles?

My phone is an old Samsung which works fine with Legacy.  Processes take seconds.  My new tablet (also Samsung) is v10 and very slow - the same action will take minutes now.

• Evernote Expert

I think the suggestion that Samsung phones seem to play less well with Evernote arises from the fact that there have, in the past at least, been rather more complaints about issues with Samsung units than other brands.  However, I think that isn't entirely surprising. Samsung has the dominant market share of Android phones and tablets so an evenly spread set of problems will likely generate more isues from Samsung devices than other makes.  That's all to say I'm not sure that we can say that Samsung phones are more likely to exhibit problems with Evernote v10.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
13 hours ago, janndk said:

Seems that:

Are you talking about the thumbnail showing up in the Android app or in the Web or desktop client, or both? In any case, I just did a test, taking a picture of a small document in a new note. The process was smooth and reasonably fast (on a Samsung S22 Ultra with good home WiFi), and immediately after the note synced (in a few seconds) the thumbnail was there, in the Android app, Web client, and even the old legacy Windows program. Not bragging or denying the problem, just say that for whatever reason it works smoothly for me, although this was a tiny sample size.

• Like 1

I also need to do more testing - there are some glitches. 

Maybe there is still some hope for Evernote after all. Interesting to see how this goes. However, I had already cancelled my subscription (ends in june), and it takes more bug fixes than just thumbnails to get me back.

• Like 1

Did the update as well, and there seems to be a dramatic regression unfortunately. After editing a single note and closing it, the android client gets unresponsive until I stop the android app and start it again.  This is 100% reproducible. It seems to me that developers have lost control of the Android client and don't really know which screws to turn. It goes from bad to worse 😕

I've seen this behaviour in the 10.49 as well, but then I reinstalled from the app store and got 10.48 which doesn't have that problem

• Level 5*

I have a new Android tablet too,  and while it doesn't seem happy with Evernote,  I don't get this glitch.  My main problem is notes or clips created on the Android tend to stay on the Android until I physically sync them individually...

10 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@eric99, I'm not seeing this at all. Does it happen with any note you edit, or just a particular one? You know the drill: uninstall, restart the device, reinstall (and you may already have done that). What kind of phone are you using.

Yes, I already tried to uninstall etc but no avail.

It can easily be reproduced by creating a new note on the android client. After closing, the note list is displayed again and it looks completely normal. The new note is synced on my desktop as well. But my android client refuses to open or create any other note from now on, it just stays in the note list, clicking does nothing anymore.

When I stop the app (no logout, just stopping) and restart, everything is fine again until the next new note.

• Level 5*

@eric99 - this is more magic than tech,  but one thing Support had me try was to temporarily change my default notebook to another one,  save a couple of notes and then switch back.  Can't actually remember if signing out and back in / restart device figured in there,  but you could also try those...  When I switched the notebook back to my original default things seemed to be better...  it may also help if you cross your fingers :unsure:

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

@eric99 - this is more magic than tech,  but one thing Support had me try was to temporarily change my default notebook to another one,  save a couple of notes and then switch back.  Can't actually remember if signing out and back in / restart device figured in there,  but you could also try those...  When I switched the notebook back to my original default things seemed to be better...  it may also help if you cross your fingers :unsure:

thanks for the tip but it didn't help. 

In the mean time, after complete uninstall/reinstall, I can't reproduce the problem anymore (so far)

Maybe, the timing is different after the fresh install which makes race conditions less likely or there is a version incompatibility (my app was reinstalled just before 10.50 arrived, so a corrupted database or something like that was probably not the root cause)

• Like 2
16 hours ago, eric99 said:

Did the update as well, and there seems to be a dramatic regression unfortunately. After editing a single note and closing it, the android client gets unresponsive until I stop the android app and start it again.  This is 100% reproducible. It seems to me that developers have lost control of the Android client and don't really know which screws to turn. It goes from bad to worse 😕

I've seen this behaviour in the 10.49 as well, but then I reinstalled from the app store and got 10.48 which doesn't have that problem

I am on 10.50.2 which appears to be an improvement.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Glad it's sorted, @eric99. I tried creating a test note and letting it sync, did so a couple of times, and it didn't fail. Probably something local or idiosyncratic in any case.

Unfortunately, the problem is there again, probably caused by an unhandled race condition. I'll investigate it further tomorrow...

• Sad 1
On 4/18/2023 at 11:14 PM, eric99 said:

Unfortunately, the problem is there again, probably caused by an unhandled race condition. I'll investigate it further tomorrow...

I've sent the  activity log to support with the proper timestamp

"ERROR: neutron:  Note editor not saved, because editor is not ready:"  it stays in this deadlock until the app is restarted

This is a typical race condition: I can reproduce this easier by very fast note creation/closing  (a small title and a single word in the body and closing immediately, all this in a few seconds). 

I doubt that this will arrive at the developers' desk, considering my previous unresolved tickets concerning performance and sync problems...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Not seen one of those before.  Is the neutron process an Android one,  or something to do with Evernote / Electron?

I think this name was invented by the EN developers, but the more interesting part is the schizophrenic state the system is in: part of the system thinks that the editor is still busy although it has been closed, fully synced and we are already back in the note list for hours...

• Like 2
  • Level 5
6 hours ago, eric99 said:

This is a typical race condition: I can reproduce this easier by very fast note creation/closing  (a small title and a single word in the body and closing immediately, all this in a few seconds).

Perhaps that's why I couldn't reproduce it: I'm just not as fast as you young people. Perhaps Evernote is trying to encourage you toward more contemplative note-taking. 

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Perhaps that's why I couldn't reproduce it: I'm just not as fast as you young people. Perhaps Evernote is trying to encourage you toward more contemplative note-taking. 

It happens at slower speeds as well, but there is a higher probability when acting faster than your phone or the EN server can handle.

Your high end  S22 phone is much faster than you, therefore the race condition bug will occur less frequently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition#In_software

High quality software should use proper software mechanisms to protect itself against all potential race conditions.

• Like 2
On 4/20/2023 at 6:50 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

FYI: This is the screen recording when the race condition bug occurs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18Jwuo4XvnM5PiIg_oMtFMK6Xe2S1Be71/view?usp=sharing

I've raised a ticket

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Quite interesting, thanks for the screen recording.

When you returned to the notes list view, the first note shows already the "I need to sync" triangle. But it has no title. Then the first word of the title shows up, and a moment later the "5" that was added later.

This is something I never observed in the iOS client, not even on hardware from 2014 (iPad Air 2) and 2015 (iPhone 6S+). Amazing !

To carry the idea further: If it would sync while the note is still not "complete", a note conflict would be IMHO highly probable.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Quite interesting, thanks for the screen recording.

When you returned to the notes list view, the first note shows already the "I need to sync" triangle. But it has no title. Then the first word of the title shows up, and a moment later the "5" that was added later.

This is something I never observed in the iOS client, not even on hardware from 2014 (iPad Air 2) and 2015 (iPhone 6S+). Amazing !

To carry the idea further: If it would sync while the note is still not "complete", a note conflict would be IMHO highly probable.

Yeah, and this is still relatively fast since I just reinstalled everything. After a week, it"s already much slower.

But have you noticed the actual problem that when back in the note list, I clicked several notes attempting to open them, but the client was unresponsive from then on, for hours, until I restart the client (although everything is synced, I checked that in my other clients)

• Thanks 1