Unable to prewiev audio-recordings

So, I've come across this issue after updating to the latest build.
I can record audio notes as per usual, but when I stop the recording the audio gets saved as an unplayable attachment.
My old recordings can be previewed as usual, but every new recording shows up as an attachment only.

issue.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Here is some advice about audio recording and audio playback on the different platforms. Watching at the format, your "old" recording was done on the new app as well. It is aac format, not the amr of the old app.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314418

image.thumb.png.aa7ce702840a19b000a3d2d21da83b21.png

The old recordings is from only 2 days ago.
So it's clearly something that occured while updating the android app.
I've tried reinstalling the app, but still has the same issue.
I record in the same way as before by using the in app recording function.
But it's like it's saving it as a file and not an audio file.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I can say that I just recorded audio which was saved in a note and was playable.

But that may not help much.  Which version of the mobile app are you using?

I'm on what I can see is the latest version (10.49.1)

I am on 10.49.1 and getting the exact same issue as @CrazyFerretGuy now: recording is running and saved to the regular aac file. But I get a pin and not the play button beside the file. File cannot be played back inline on Android anymore. (The saved file is still playable on third party audio player).

Android dev still out of control. 😔

• Thanks 1

Same issue! 10.49.1. I made a forum profile just to add my voice to this.

Is there a certain way to elevate this issue from community discussion to a dev support thread?

Suddenly being unable to play back the files you record in the app is...

I am having the same audio recording issue in the iOS app, where my new recordings show up as attachments that aren't playable within Evernote.  This persisted even after updating to iOS version 49.2.  However, I'm currently able to make audio recordings on my PC using Windows version 10.54.4.  Hoping they fix the mobile app audio recording issue quickly because I'm needing to use it for language study and the attachment format makes it very difficult to listen back to the audio recordings.

Update: I've submitted a support ticket about this issue. The Evernote team has thus far been very responsive and has asked for screenshots and sample recordings so they can diagnose the problem. I'm told the issue has been confirmed and is being passed along to their technical support team.

I will keep this thread updated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5

Works still fine for me. Do you get a m4a file ? This should play just fine on the iOS app.

Audio files recorded with other clients sometimes do not work - EN uses (for whatever reason) different file types for audio, depending on the client / OS.

15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Works still fine for me. Do you get a m4a file ? This should play just fine on the iOS app.

Audio files recorded with other clients sometimes do not work - EN uses (for whatever reason) different file types for audio, depending on the client / OS.

Both old (which work) and new (which don't work) audio files recorded within the Evernote iOS app are .m4a files.  So they are the same file type, but the new recordings show up as attachments that must be opened in a different audio player.

13 minutes ago, Aerocowboy33 said:

Both old (which work) and new (which don't work) audio files recorded within the Evernote iOS app are .m4a files.  So they are the same file type, but the new recordings show up as attachments that must be opened in a different audio player.

Exactly the same on Android. Shared code and bug base.

Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue on my evernote at the moment. Newly recorded audio files come up in the aac format but not playable as it's attempting to find an app to play the file which my phone struggles to find.

Can evernote please fix this as soon as possible?

Thanks 

Screenshot_20230415_224436.jpg

FYI I have sent in a support ticket and they do seem to know about it. I don't know why they haven't posted it here yet, but here was the response:

Jed V. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Apr 10, 2023, 11:57 PDT

Hello Mike,

Thanks for reaching out to Evernote Customer Support. My name is Jed, and I'm happy to assist.

I understand that you're unable to play your new audio recordings. I apologize for any inconvenience this caused you. I appreciate that you've provided screenshots of the error messages, thank you for getting in touch about this, I appreciate your patience on this.

Upon checking, there are few reports regarding this and our engineering team was aware of this issue. Please know that we are currently working hard to fix this issue as soon as possible. I really appreciate your cooperation and assistance. 

Thank you so much for your understanding and patience regarding this matter.

If you have other concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'll be more than happy to help.

Best regards,

Jed V.
Customer Support
Help & Learning | YouTube | Forums

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Support practically never posts anything here.

Be aware that the description "record arbitrary-length audio clips" is misleading.

The direct recording function has some inherent limits, and it carries a significant danger of loosing the recording.

It is bound to the note size limit, to the account upload limit, and to the internet connection.

If you exceed either the note size limit or the upload limit, you loose the recording. You are NOT asked to save it when it stops, no, it is simply gone when you record on mobile. On EN desktop you will be warned, and can save it.

A Free user has 25MB per note, and this is easily reached by an audio file. But even a subscriber with 200MB can exceed the limit.

Worse: If a user has say only 5MB upload left, it will fail in the middle of everything after the 5MB are exhausted.

And if your internet connection freaks, you will do the same when your audio take is gone.

I think the audio is OK to take a quick sound bite - nothing more.

Alternatives: Since I am on iOS, I can't tell anything for Android. On iOS and Mac I use JustPressRecord for the recording. It saves locally, and it even makes a transcript to text if I want. I can send it via sharing into EN then, which will create a new note with a sound and/or text file in it. And (ALARM: Killer feature): JPR even works fine on the Apple Watch, where the Evernote app was removed when v10 launched, not to be seen ever since.

I'm using an android phone. Same problem

One UI version - 5.1

Android version 13

Kernel version 4.9

Anyway I did send an email. I received similar reply as the one posted above. For now I'll just record using a mic attached to my laptop. That works too

• Level 5

If it is due to the different file formats, not opening the audio is by design. If it is good design that audio recordings grabbed with one platform can’t be played on another is another question. But it would work as developed.

If the recording is from the Mac, but doesn’t replay, it would be a bug.

Running Evernote Android version 10.50.2 on a Pixel 7, and Evernote Mac version 10.55.2 on a Mac mini M1.

Here to report having the same, very aggravating, problem: I can still record .aac audio in Android Evernote, but it will not play back those same .aac audio files. On Mac Evernote, those files appear the same way, with the paperclip icon, and you again can't play them in Evernote, you can only Save As or Open in some other audio player.

As recently as April 13th, I was having no problem with this. In fact, in older notes that also contain .aac audio files recorded in Evernote, I have no problem playing those in either the Android or Mac apps.

• Level 5

To me it seems the problem is with the recording in the Android app.

In iOS recording m4a works, replay works as well. It can be played in the Mac app as well - the Mac client will open Apple Music to play it.

But that is wild guessing - to be sure contact support.

Same problem here. I've also emailed support. If anyone has a workaround for listening on Android, I would be most grateful. I have an Android aac file audio player but unable to launch this from EN. I can use a third party audio player on desktop no problem but this is not ideal. Help much appreciated :) Gareth

Update: EN Customer Support sent me a thorough and friendly email reply advising they were 'aware of this issue and working on a fix in a future update.’ You might be glad to hear they are also 'working on improvements to reduce conflicting notes occurrences.’

48 minutes ago, garethellmer said:

Same problem here. I've also emailed support. If anyone has a workaround for listening on Android, I would be most grateful. I have an Android aac file audio player but unable to launch this from EN. I can use a third party audio player on desktop no problem but this is not ideal. Help much appreciated :) Gareth

Hey Gereth,

So I'm on android too and it records no doubt but it's blank and no player can open it. I've copied it out, coverted it etc and doesn't capture any sound annoyingly 

My workaround till this is fixed on android is use the normal voice recorder that comes with my Samsung phone, then attach the aac in an evernote file. That's been my only workaround for now

• Like 2

Update from support:

Apr 25, 2023, 14:53 PDT

Hello Mike,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I understand that being unable to play audio recordings are causing such inconvenience to lots of people, and I apologize that it affects you as well. We also hope to fix this issue as soon as possible especially if it will help our customers in improving their Evernote experience. Unfortunately, I'm not able to provide an ETA, but I assure you that our engineering team is working diligently regarding this issue.

If you have other concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'll be more than happy to help.

Best regards,

Jed V.
Customer Support
Help & Learning | YouTube | Forums

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok so solution I have found to access the recorded file on android is to down load VLC, free app. And then download any of the files and use VLC to playback. 

Download the aac file by long press on attachment and click download icon.

Then can use "aac" in search bar to find the timestamps file 

Not ideal but files are playable.

Android users, I got a solution that not requires download the audio clips.

The key of this solution is install an app that allows play .acc files. In the following short video I show the fix

Comment if it works for you. Thanks

• Like 2

Thank you, @oscarguzval. That works a treat for me. Great workaround 👌 

18 hours ago, oscarguzval said:

Android users, I got a solution that not requires download the audio clips.

The key of this solution is install an app that allows play .acc files. In the following short video I show the fix

Comment if it works for you. Thanks

• Like 1

Yes, thank you, @oscarguzval, this does work well as a workaround, so thank you very much for posting it here.

There were updates to Evernote today for both Android and Mac, but they did not address fixing this problem yet.

• 3 weeks later...

The Android mobile update yesterday seems to have fixed this problem for me.

Playback for any newly created audio notes works as expected again. And while there seems to be a minor caveat in that those audio notes recorded while this problem existed still had to be downloaded to be played, the good news is there is a also solution for that caveat.

Given the way I use these, it was in my interest to figure out how to get those audio note .aac files to be playable in app again. To do that, I had to create a new note for each non-audio-file-playable note, download the .aac audio file(s) from the old non-playable note, then upload same audio file(s) to the new note. You should then see the audio file appear in the new note with the blue play button once again.

Hope this helps. Thanks to everyone here for your discussion, workarounds, and for notifying Evernote of the problem.

• Thanks 1