How Can I STOP Attempts to Upload a File That is Too Large?

I use Evernote for Windows 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954) and have a nested group of folders that I have linked under Tools | Import Folders.   One file in that tree is too large for Evernote to import.   Every time I start Evernote for Windows I get a modal dialog complaining about the size of this file.   Is there any way to stop this and get the file permanently flagged as "do not upload"?

• Level 5
12 hours ago, persistentone said:

I use Evernote for Windows 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954) and have a nested group of folders that I have linked under Tools | Import Folders.   One file in that tree is too large for Evernote to import.   Every time I start Evernote for Windows I get a modal dialog complaining about the size of this file.   Is there any way to stop this and get the file permanently flagged as "do not upload"?

Agree with the advice to delete the file from the import folder. Also, just FYI, this forum specializes in Evernote for Windows v. 10. V. 6.25 has its own dedicated forum: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/225-evernote-for-windows-issues-versions-6251-and-under/.

On 2/13/2023 at 2:46 AM, PinkElephant said:

The Import folders are not designed to upload AND keep files permanently. 

The answer about the do-not-import flag is no, remove the file(s) from folders defined as import folders.

Where did I say I wanted to keep a file permanently?  In fact the opposite: I don't want to keep the file at all.  I don't want to upload the file.

To me this behavior is a bug.  The product should see a file is too large to import and it should notify you ONCE about that issue.  Then do not import the file again.    The feature is able to do that and not duplicate imports for older files it did import.  So why not stay consistent to that design philosophy for all files.

• Evernote Expert
47 minutes ago, persistentone said:

Where did I say I wanted to keep a file permanently? 

I think that was inferred, obviously incorrectly, from the fact that you had left the large file in the import folder.

Obviously we cannot resolve the 'design philosophy'. To do that open a ticket with support or use the in-app feedback. However, whatever action they take will never affect the Legacy software that you are using. This is no longer supported so I fear that you cannot expect any change.

We can point you to the means to resolve the issue in the meantime. As others have said, delete the file from the import folder. Personally, I like to keep the import folders tidy and empty so I routinely check and delete any remnants. In fact I have a batch file that runs on a schedule and deletes files in the import folder every time I log on to my PC.

23 hours ago, agsteele said:

I think that was inferred, obviously incorrectly, from the fact that you had left the large file in the import folder.

Obviously we cannot resolve the 'design philosophy'. To do that open a ticket with support or use the in-app feedback. However, whatever action they take will never affect the Legacy software that you are using. This is no longer supported so I fear that you cannot expect any change.

We can point you to the means to resolve the issue in the meantime. As others have said, delete the file from the import folder. Personally, I like to keep the import folders tidy and empty so I routinely check and delete any remnants. In fact I have a batch file that runs on a schedule and deletes files in the import folder every time I log on to my PC.

Since I don't live in Evernote, can you explain what I need to do to get onto the most recent software release?  I don't understand why the software did not try to update itself over time, to keep users on the most recent releases.

• Evernote Expert

In 2020 users were invited to download the new software. Perhaps you missed the invitation.

For now, visit www.evernote.com/download

Be warned, the new version w will feel very different and some features and functions work differently. A few have been removed. Most users who made the switch will admit that it took a week or two to adapt their workflows.

You may need to reconnect your import folder(s). You will definitely need to manually remove imported files unless you wish to keep them in the folder. As I mentioned, I run a batch file daily to clear out files which have been imported.

• Evernote Expert

I intended to return and post the batch script that I run.  I have three import folders on my desktop: EN Import / EN Accounts and EN Bank Statements

I have this batch file set to execute whenever I start up my PC using the Windows task scheduler.  I could equally have it set to run at a regular time/day of the week or whetever.

When executed it empties the import folders and leaves them empty.  This appeals to my slightly obsessive desire for a clean PC.  Others might argue, with some justification, that if you have plenty of disk storage then just keep the files in the folder and have a less frequent tidy up.  As long as you don't edit and update the files they will be ignored by Evernote.  Make a change and they will import a fresh copy of the amended file.  But this will not replace the previous import so some tidying in Evernote may then be required.

set folder="C:\Users\myusername\Desktop\EN Import"
cd /d %folder%
for /F "delims=" %%i in ('dir /b') do (rmdir "%%i" /s/q || del "%%i" /s/q)

set folder="C:\Users\myusername\Desktop\EN Accounts"
cd /d %folder%

set folder="C:\Users\myusername\Desktop\EN Bank Statements"
cd /d %folder%

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, agsteele said:

As long as you don't edit and update the files they will be ignored by Evernote

I did have an experience recently when they weren't - I had about 30 files in my Import Folder and forgot to transfer them to an Archive (as I usually do) for long term backup.  They were imported.  When I restarted the app (v10.52 Win11) they were imported again.  Easily fixed,  and I've updated since,  so not contacted support (yet).

This thread reminds me of an app DropIt download | SourceForge.net - DropIt will conduct a conditional action on a list of files.  It will watch a folder (like the Import folder) and automatically process the content according to the users' option choices. 

Don't know if this still works on win11 - it was last updated in 2018;  but I just installed it - we'll find out...

23 hours ago, agsteele said:

In 2020 users were invited to download the new software. Perhaps you missed the invitation.

For now, visit www.evernote.com/download

Be warned, the new version w will feel very different and some features and functions work differently. A few have been removed. Most users who made the switch will admit that it took a week or two to adapt their workflows.

You may need to reconnect your import folder(s). You will definitely need to manually remove imported files unless you wish to keep them in the folder. As I mentioned, I run a batch file daily to clear out files which have been imported.

Where is a review that compares the old version to the new?   I need to understand what features were removed and if those are optional for me.

• Evernote Expert
8 minutes ago, persistentone said:

Where is a review that compares the old version to the new?   I need to understand what features were removed and if those are optional for me.

I don't think that there is a reliable review comparing Legacy and v10. This is due, in part, to the fact that v10 is in long term development so regularly updated. An example: import folders which were a Windows only feature in Legacy were not supported when v10 was released. Now they are available for Windows and MacOS.

There may well be lots of volunteers to pitch in and tell you what they think it's the current position.

• Level 5*

I agree there's no known comparison between the apps - someone was trying to keep track of what Legacy features were missing in v10,  but as more 'missing' features got added back in,  and new options developed that were unique to v10 I think they gave up. 

These are the lists of the major features of both apps - but you can run Legacy as well as v10 if you wish,  and even uninstall v10 completely without affecting the Legacy installation,  so I'd suggest you just try it out.

Don't have both versions open at the same time,  and be patient while v10 sets up its own internal administration files - which,  as I mentioned are different from Legacy.

One thing about v10 is that some things have (confusingly at first) been moved around - so don't assume something has been lost until you're sure it's not just hidden away somewhere!

Evernote system limits – Evernote Help & Learning

Compare Evernote subscription plans – Evernote Help & Learning

Install an older version of Evernote – Evernote Help & Learning