Tasks / Todos

Go to solution Solved by Boot17,

Hi, 

as an avid Evernote user, I was very excited on Task's arrival, but as the time goes on I have understood that using tasks is not so efficient as it should be. Let me explain there any many ways to work with tasks: all tasks in situated in one note, for every Tasks a single note, etc. But what matters the most, there is no possibility to have a view of all tasks in some structured way (as for example Microsoft To-do app). I know there are ways to sync tasks with Microsoft To-do / Todoist etc. over third party services, but this is not a way

I'm using atm Microsoft To-do at work but would like to definitely migrate to Evernote, I just cannot grasp that nobody has thought of such problem, which maybe seems as luxury one, but it is not.

So doesn't somebody know if there are some future developments in this direction? Or there are some solutions which are integrated directly...

Regards,

Sergio

• Evernote Expert

I'm not aware of any plans to enable task integration/sync with other platforms. Of you need something different then use that application since there isn't anything coming anytime soon in Evernote for this.

• Sad 1
6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Perhaps I'm being dim,  but if you listed your tasks at one per note and then searched for those due on a specific date,  wouldn't that give you something similar?

Yes you have the couple of ways to organize or search Tasks in Evernote (even builtin view), but you don't have the structural view which is very important if you have more than 10 Tasks...

If you look at the picture in my last post, I think it is self-explanatory... 

58 minutes ago, fastbyte said:

But what matters the most, there is no possibility to have a view of all tasks in some structured way (as for example Microsoft To-do app).

I'm guessing you are not on the Personal plan or higher? With that subscription or better, you can have a structured view of all your tasks in one place.

You can group them by importance (My tasks), assigned, by note, or due date:

image.png.ac00b145ab35f62bc729e6fb099eda44.png

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

I'm guessing you are not on the Personal plan or higher? With that subscription or better, you can have a structured view of all your tasks in one place.

You can group them by importance (My tasks), assigned, by note, or due date:

Im on professional plan and yes you can group on those 2-3 criteria but that's it. I would like to group it in a flexible way same as we use tags...

054UFJRMCSBqJtuF9bCZpkB-20..v1659542576.png.3e0985331ab04bf1bb2468be1f512b3b (1).png

Edited by fastbyte
Explanation
  • Like 1
  • Solution
1 hour ago, fastbyte said:

I just cannot grasp that nobody has thought of such problem, which maybe seems as luxury one, but it is not.

47 minutes ago, fastbyte said:

yes you can group on those 2-3 criteria but that's it. I would like to group it in a flexible way same as we use tags...

There are quite a few threads about even just being able to even add tags to tasks (vs just using the tag of the note). For example:

Which -- having tags for tasks seems like something you might need to have in place first if you want to be able to group them in any sort of meaningful way (edit: besides what you can already do). (and I think using the tag of the note doesn't make much sense as a task would have a different set of concepts than a note)

I've seen requests for having a more robust view or window of tasks instead of just the sidebar (and some of that might entail more organization structure around tags). For example:

There are probably more discussions out there that are similar...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Ok - your question is becoming more clear as you continue to clarify your original post.

There are quite a few threads about even just being able to even add tags to tasks (vs just using the tag of the note). For example:

Which -- having tags for tasks seems like something you might need to have in place first if you want to be able to group them in any sort of meaningful way (and I think using the tag of the note doesn't make much sense as a task would have a different set of concepts than a note)

I've seen requests for having a more robust view or window of tasks instead of just the sidebar (and some of that might entail more organization structure around tags). For example:

There are probably more discussions out there that are similar...

Thanks for pointing out in the right direction.

• Like 1

I second this. I used to use Evernote for a GTD-like workflow with tags for projects, and reminders marking todo's, and I'm still struggling to implement something similar in EN 10. Currently there seems to be no easy way to list all the tasks associated with a given tag. Yes, I know I can select a tag and then add a filter for "contains task" but this is rather cumbersome if you need to review many projects, and even then it does not list the actual tasks but only the containing notes.

Conversely, in the task view, I cannot sort or filter by tag or even see tags. Curiously, when selecting a tag, I CAN choose to list reminders instead of notes, but then again, the reminder workflow is severely crippled as compared to the earlier versions, for example, I can no longer get a usable overview of all my open reminders (the reminders tab in the notes list shows reminders with no date BEFORE reminders with the closest due date).

So, any advice on how to use tasks for a GTD -like workflow with projects (preferably with tags representing projects) would be highly appreciated! 

Overall I'm still very disappointed that a product that I've used for years as a paying customer has now broken my workflow by removing features and functionality. Sometimes it feels like the people at Evernote do not realize that people are using their software for real serious work.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rense said:

I can no longer get a usable overview of all my open reminders (the reminders tab in the notes list shows reminders with no date BEFORE reminders with the closest due date).

You can use the advanced search syntax. For example:

reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+7

will give you a list of reminders due in the next 7 days. Obviously once you have set up the search string as you want it you can save the search and even make it a shortcut.

See https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php for more options when searching for reminders.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Rense said:

So, any advice on how to use tasks for a GTD -like workflow with projects (preferably with tags representing projects) would be highly appreciated! 

The relationship between tasks and notes within EN is both it's greatest strength and it's greatest weakness. It would be good if you could search for notes and then pull out all the tasks contained within those notes. At the moment you can only really do this by notebook which is limiting, especially if your primary organisational method is tags. While tasks do not have their own tags (or inherit the tags from the parent note which would be really nice) there is nothing stopping you setting up your own tagging system in the text of the task. So for example if you put $now into the text and search tasks you will find tasks which contain $now (but not now)

• Like 1

Thanks for this suggestion. However, I can't go and manually re-tag hundreds of todo-notes, associated with dozens of different tags. Also it seems weird as a workaround given that EN has an elaborate tag system in place, which has been heavily promoted as well. And the technology for filtering notes with tasks for a given tag is already implemented; it's mostly that the interface does not allow easy access to it.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

You can use the advanced search syntax. For example:

reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+7

will give you a list of reminders due in the next 7 days. Obviously once you have set up the search string as you want it you can save the search and even make it a shortcut.

See https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php for more options when searching for reminders.

That's helpful, thanks!

5 hours ago, Rense said:

Sometimes it feels like the people at Evernote do not realize that people are using their software for real serious work.

I use Evernote Tasks (and notes and checklists and...) for serious work and I find Tasks -- the way they are -- very useful. (Not that they still can't be improved though.) Not everyone's workflow is the same.

Prior to Evernote Tasks I was fully invested in the Things ecosystem for years having paid $$$ for the MacOS app, iPad app, and iPhone app. Before Things, I used Wunderlist (before Microsoft bought it and rebranded it to Todo), I've also dabbled with many others (was a big fan of Toodledo at one point) so I am pretty well versed with different task management systems.

I tried to link my Things tasks to Evernote notes and vice-versa, but that was kind of cumbersome. I found something that works for me with the way I organize -- but I wouldn't expect that to work for everybody. (One thing that I've found for me personally is that having too many Tasks is counterproductive. I prefer Tasks for bigger picture items or things that have to be done by a certain time and then I use a lot of checklists as well.)

I don't doubt that the way Evernote is set up (with everything -- not just Tasks), just won't work for some people -- that it's just not built in a way that is conducive to them. But there are also others that want to make the product adapt to them rather than adapting to it (even slightly). In some cases, that adaption would be too much and a different tool would fit the job way better. (Just as @fastbyte has determined that Evernote Tasks don't work for them -- at least as is.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

I use Evernote Tasks (and notes and checklists and...) for serious work and I find Tasks -- the way they are -- very useful. (Not that they still can't be improved though.) Not everyone's workflow is the same.

Sure, I'm not trying to argue that EN should be adapted to specifically fit *my* workflow, and I don't doubt that the current setup works for other people who do equally (or more) serious work. What I'm annoyed about is that my *existing* workflow with Evernote was broken because key features were changed or dropped. My impression is that the people at Evernote underestimate the impact that this has on people who use Evernote professionally.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Rense said:

Sure, I'm not trying to argue that EN should be adapted to specifically fit *my* workflow, and I don't doubt that the current setup works for other people who do equally (or more) serious work. What I'm annoyed about is that my *existing* workflow with Evernote was broken because key features were changed or dropped. My impression is that the people at Evernote underestimate the impact that this has on people who use Evernote professionally.

Ah - I see.

Perhaps they underestimated, but the legacy version still works for now (including your existing workflow) -- going on 2 years after v10 was introduced -- allowing people time to adapt or switch to something else, because it looks like many of the features that existed in pre-10 versions that people relied on might not be coming back.

I know, and I've in fact been using the legacy version for the past two  (😱) years . But I'm aware that the legacy version won't be around forever, so I've tried to get to terms with V10. So far, unsuccessfully, mainly due to the fact that continuing to rely on tags for projects seems incompatible with using tasks in my workflow. I can think of alternative setups that might work (e.g., keeping al todo's for a project in a single note per project) but revising my system would be a huge investment and I can't really afford to experiment.

• 1 month later...

I agree with this discussion. I love EN and the tasks integration with Home is a step in the right direction. It is lacking a full integration into the mobile world from my process. I love to use Siri to add tasks or reminders and Microsoft todo does this well now. I can use Apple Reminders or Todo to see all of my tasks and manage them. OneNote would make sense but the integration is also lacking there. It is just not seamless yet. I have to work in the Microsoft Ecosystem and I have not found that perfect app yet. I want handwritten notes(Onenote or Apple Notes) for my meetings onsite with customers and the ability to create follow up tasks that are easily accessible and hold me accountable. When in the office, I type my notes. I cannot lock my process down. Any suggestions are appreciated. 

On 12/1/2022 at 4:07 PM, Boot17 said:

Prior to Evernote Tasks I was fully invested in the Things ecosystem for years having paid $$$ for the MacOS app, iPad app, and iPhone app. Before Things, I used Wunderlist (before Microsoft bought it and rebranded it to Todo), I've also dabbled with many others (was a big fan of Toodledo at one point) so I am pretty well versed with different task management systems.

I tried to link my Things tasks to Evernote notes and vice-versa, but that was kind of cumbersome. I found something that works for me with the way I organize -- but I wouldn't expect that to work for everybody. (One thing that I've found for me personally is that having too many Tasks is counterproductive. I prefer Tasks for bigger picture items or things that have to be done by a certain time and then I use a lot of checklists as well.)

I don't doubt that the way Evernote is set up (with everything -- not just Tasks), just won't work for some people -- that it's just not built in a way that is conducive to them. But there are also others that want to make the product adapt to them rather than adapting to it (even slightly). In some cases, that adaption would be too much and a different tool would fit the job way better. (Just as @fastbyte has determined that Evernote Tasks don't work for them -- at least as is.)

Quick question @Boot17, so you managed to replace Things 3 with EN tasks? I am now in situation that i dont know what to do :), do i split tasks between Things and EN, or focus for tasks on only one of them. Thinking maybe separating private and work tasks in Things and EN but that also looks like not elegant solution.

53 minutes ago, Frki2 said:

so you managed to replace Things 3 with EN tasks?

I've replaced it for 98% of my tasks. Quick little one-off things where I don't have any note in Evernote I still use Things for that. If I didn't already have Things I'd probably use Reminders or some other lightweight/basic todo tool. (At this point, I'm definitely not going to buy Things 4 when it comes out.)

• Like 1