Evernote 10 vs Evernote 6 legacy

Hi,

I tested the V10 a year ago and immediately discarded it. Many basics still did not go. Very much effort to go back to the Legacy.

E.g. my favorites with the different colors were all gone.

The biggest problem was that there was no offline database anymore. This is a MUST for me. I need an offline database.

Before I have another disappointment like this, please tell me if the change is worth it now almost 12 months later. Can you do EVERYTHING you can do with the Legacy version now with the new V10?

Or does the Legacy still have important advantages? e.g. offline use. I don't need the new functions like tasks and calendar. They are only interesting if the basic functions of Evernote everything also run.

I still use very successfully the Legacy version on Windows. It is fast and reliable.

p.s.
On Android I also use old Evernote version 8.13.3. Also on Android worked then less than with the old version.

So if you also have something to say about Android version, I am also interested. So advantages and disadvantages. I also don't know if the new Android version is compatible with the old Windows Legacy version.

But Windows has priority.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, halriko544 said:

The biggest problem was that there was no offline database anymore. This is a MUST for me. I need an offline database.

I think you mean offline only database -- aka "local" notebooks?

Because you can use v10 offline. The data syncs down to the device and you can access all your notes when there is no internet access.

But if you are talking about a notebook that doesn't sync back to the cloud -- then no -- that doesn't exist in v10 and if it a MUST for you, you might want to start looking at moving to a different software product if you haven't already.

• Evernote Expert

v10 is emphatically an online application. The assumption is that you are working online. You can go off-line and things will continue to work provided you have Evernote open before going off-line. There is no local database in the way that the Legacy application had. But the desktop applications work off-line and catch up when you return online. I use v10 for everything except printing (which I do so infrequently that it isn't a big deal). I'm told that bulk tag manipulating remains better in Legacy. You can also export the whole Evernote data in Legacy as a single ENEX.  However that has always suffered from the problem that the all note export loses the Notebook structure. v10 allows Notebook export of ENEX files which has always been the advised way of exporting to retain the structure as well as the notes. There are also a handful of third-party programs that will export the data for you.

The v10 Android app has not enitirely caught up the older version. I am led to understand that some significant imporvements to the Android app are scheduled this week.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi.  I held out against the new version for a long time on grounds of compatibility and missing features,  but having made the change earlier this year I find I'm missing the Legacy app less and less.  The two big omissions for me are the ability to backup the whole account easily in one operation,  and yes - the locally stored,  not synced,  notes where confidential information can be stored solely on my local drive. 

In fairness there are also many more additional features - some of which may be useful,  some probably not;  but things are still developing.

Backups are still easy in Legacy,  so that's the main reason I log in there every week.  Locally stored notes and notebooks can be accommodated in other note-taking apps,  so I use another product for this purpose and link back and forth between them.  It's pretty seamless.

I have an old Andrdoi phone,  so also Evernote 8.13.3 - but I use that more for look-ups and taking photographs so the version is not critical.

My one concern is that sooner or later - obvisouly not this year,  or maybe even next;  but at some stage changes to basic operating systems,  plus Evernote versions,  are going to quietly edge Legacy out of use.  You have to be aware that you will need to move or switch at some stage.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

To expand on my chatty friend a little - the two apps do not use the same database.  The online V10 has a temporary database with the main body online while the Legacy app saves a different file (or series of files - depends on the OS) as a complete copy on your local hard drive.  Since using one app means edited content has to sync to the server and then back down to the other local app,  it's unwise to open both at the same time or in quick succession.  You can have them both installed,  but should only use one at a time.

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, justacat said:

Is it possible to run both Legacy and v10 on the same (Windows 10) machine?

Yes. I run both the Legacy and v10 on both my Mac and Windows computers.

52 minutes ago, justacat said:

With the same Evernote database?

The local database for v10 and legacy are different, but they both sync to the exact same place on the server.

• Level 5

You asked, and you got 2 exact words as answers, without chichi, very fast.

I (maybe wrongly) assume that a fellow user will first check the EN help database before coming here and asking for (further) help. You would have found THIS:

It instructs about how to install legacy, and does it with words produced by people paid to write them. We are fellow users, and I am sort of tired of posting the same link over and again.

And you may be wondering: We sometimes even have some fun on the forum - especially when making fun of ourselves.

Conclusion: You may not regard this helpful neither. But you asked if I know „this“. Yes, I do, and now you know as well.
  • Sad 1

Backups are still easy in Legacy,  so that's the main reason I log in there every week.  Locally stored notes and notebooks can be accommodated in other note-taking apps,  so I use another product for this purpose and link back and forth between them.  It's pretty seamless.

Hi again. And thank you for your answers!

Backup is an interesting topic. Can you please tell me what your way is?

My way:

1. Copy the whole database every week

2. export via enex all Notes every 3 months

The online V10 has a temporary database with the main body online while the Legacy app saves a different file (or series of files - depends on the OS) as a complete copy on your local hard drive.

That is my main problem.

I feel much better when the entire database is on my computer.
And does not disappear again uncontrolled at some point. "temporary database"

If I don't have internet and want to access notes that aren't downloaded, then I can't work. That's how I understood it.

So you can't work offline for a few days, because then you might not be able to access notes that the program has to download first.

If what I wrote above is true, then this is really a reason to leave Evernote. The dependency on the internet is getting worse and worse with Evernote.

Assuming I find an alternative that can take my data, I'll be gone after 10 years of being a customer. But I think there is a competitor that can do that.

As long as the legacy version works, though, I don't have to worry about it yet.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, halriko544 said:

As long as the legacy version works, though, I don't have to worry about it yet.

If you look around there are a few different ways to back up your account.  A company called Backupery have a subscription service I joined which will automatically copy each one of my (Legacy) notebooks to an ENEX file on a regular basis.  I don't know if they're offering the service to new customers now,  because of v10's more or less totally online service;  I'm pretty sure they and others must be looking at ways to interface with Evernote's servers directly to get backups,  even if Evernote don't come out with their own option.  I'm sure that before Evernote Legacy is end-of-life,  there will be other options.

Meantime v10's temporary file is a source for offline working.  You could be off grid for a month,  and as long as you work only on one laptop/ desktop,  you'll be able to to anything you need.  Mobile devices don't have a local database by default,  but can download an offline copy of notes / notebooks provided they have the storage caoacity available.

When EN V10 was launched I was not a fan, fast forward two years with the improvents of Home, Calendar , Tasks and Widgets, I no longer have any use for Legacy and my productivety and workflow have improved dramatically.   My Phone is Android and works quite well with only a few irritations.  Looking foward to the upcoming update on Android. 

20 hours ago, halriko544 said:

...I also don't know if the new Android version is compatible with the old Windows Legacy version.

Wanted to respond to this - I use legacy on Windows (and iOS) but the newest Android version with no issues.

• Like 2

Wanted to respond to this - I use legacy on Windows (and iOS) but the newest Android version with no issues.

Thank you! I will see..

Meantime v10's temporary file is a source for offline working.  You could be off grid for a month,  and as long as you work only on one laptop/ desktop,  you'll be able to to anything you need.  Mobile devices don't have a local database by default,  but can download an offline copy of notes / notebooks provided they have the storage caoacity available.

Thanks for the info, however I don't quite understand.

If not the whole database is on the computer, how can I work without internet for a month?

If I want to access notes that I rarely use, then surely Evernote can't have them offline.

When EN V10 was launched I was not a fan, fast forward two years with the improvents of Home, Calendar , Tasks and Widgets, I no longer have any use for Legacy and my productivety and workflow have improved dramatically.   My Phone is Android and works quite well with only a few irritations.  Looking foward to the upcoming update on Android. 

I have no doubt that Evernote has focused on maximizing productivity. I believe you that it has gotten much better. Slowly the teething problems should have been eliminated as well.

But my problem is the dependence on the internet. As long as you have internet, you don't notice the dependency.

I even wish for the beginnings of Evernote back, where you could only keep Evernote offline. That's how it started, that they already removed this possibility back then.

Working without cloud is the future of the home user in my opinion. More and more people are trying to archive their data back at home. And Evernote makes us even more dependent.

Can you actually use Evernote completely offline now, if you then prohibit Internet access after installation, for example, by firewall (Legacy version)? Or is after a few weeks or months a lock, so you have to connect the Internet again briefly? That would not surprise me.

(I know that you then lose the great advantage of having the data on the phone as well).

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The whole database of the desktop apps is on the computer, for offline use. I use it pretty often, because v10 is sensitive to interruptions in the internet connection. So when I am on a train, using the trains WiFi (which connects via mobile data to the internet), I switch the app to offline. This is no function of the app, I use another app called TripMode that allows to switch the internet data flow of individual apps off or on at will. But going completely "dark" has the same effect.

When the EN app can't connect, it switches automatically into offline mode. It then saves all changes and edits into the local database, for syncing with the cloud when online for the next time. The only precondition: The account must be logged into the EN cloud server before going offline. The app can be closed then, the computer can be switched completely off - but do not log out of your account when online for the last time.

Small trick: Some operations work faster as well when working on the local database. Especially bulk operations like tagging or moving notes benefit from not syncing every change. It can make sense to go offline even sitting at your desk, make the necessary actions, and go back on when done. Once the internet connection is back, all changes will sync with the server in the background.

Avoid to make changes to the same notes with a second device while working offline on the desktop app. This will create safety duplicates, because the server is confronted with 2 separate strings of changes, and can't decide which to keep and which to drop.

I am not aware of any time limit for the offline use - but you will for sure create havoc with your data if you try for an extended time. The mobile clients are "always on" (unless used offline as well, but this works differently on mobile), the web client is online per definition, and the data going through the APIs (like web clipper) sync into the cloud. When you keep one client offline, all these changes does not reach him, and all changes done there do not reach the server.

When you would now sync after months, expect a flood of conflict notes, maybe even a mess in the notebook and tags structure, and a nice rainy weekend kept busy with cleaning out that mess. Plus offline many functions won't properly work, because they are running on the server (search index, OCR, etc.).

If you want offline note taking, use a different app.

On 11/19/2022 at 12:17 AM, PinkElephant said:

The whole database of the desktop apps is on the computer, for offline use. I use it pretty often, because v10 is sensitive to interruptions in the internet connection. So when I am on a train, using the trains WiFi (which connects via mobile data to the internet), I switch the app to offline. This is no function of the app, I use another app called TripMode that allows to switch the internet data flow of individual apps off or on at will. But going completely "dark" has the same effect.

When the EN app can't connect, it switches automatically into offline mode. It then saves all changes and edits into the local database, for syncing with the cloud when online for the next time. The only precondition: The account must be logged into the EN cloud server before going offline. The app can be closed then, the computer can be switched completely off - but do not log out of your account when online for the last time.

Small trick: Some operations work faster as well when working on the local database. Especially bulk operations like tagging or moving notes benefit from not syncing every change. It can make sense to go offline even sitting at your desk, make the necessary actions, and go back on when done. Once the internet connection is back, all changes will sync with the server in the background.

Avoid to make changes to the same notes with a second device while working offline on the desktop app. This will create safety duplicates, because the server is confronted with 2 separate strings of changes, and can't decide which to keep and which to drop.

I am not aware of any time limit for the offline use - but you will for sure create havoc with your data if you try for an extended time. The mobile clients are "always on" (unless used offline as well, but this works differently on mobile), the web client is online per definition, and the data going through the APIs (like web clipper) sync into the cloud. When you keep one client offline, all these changes does not reach him, and all changes done there do not reach the server.

When you would now sync after months, expect a flood of conflict notes, maybe even a mess in the notebook and tags structure, and a nice rainy weekend kept busy with cleaning out that mess. Plus offline many functions won't properly work, because they are running on the server (search index, OCR, etc.).

If you want offline note taking, use a different app.

I've been using Evernote for a long oversesa trip for the last few months. I can confrim that I kept   Evernote on my laptop offline for up to 4 weeks - with no issues- the app synced itself when I connected again and opened the app. 

The truly annoying thing is the iOS app - regardless -that I had notes (images) saved as favourites or even open before I lost connection - I douldn't view the documents offline mode. This used to be how I  kept copies of things like boarding passes, online QR codes for country entry,  hotel bookings  and such like. I now have to do it all in iOs photos - super annoying. I use Evernote for all my travel stuff including  planning and bookings - so this is pure duplication because of a backwards step  for the app - it definitely used to work. 

10 hours ago, Lissie said:

The truly annoying thing is the iOS app - regardless -that I had notes (images) saved as favourites or even open before I lost connection - I douldn't view the documents offline mode. This used to be how I  kept copies of things like boarding passes, online QR codes for country entry,  hotel bookings  and such like. I now have to do it all in iOs photos - super annoying. I use Evernote for all my travel stuff including  planning and bookings - so this is pure duplication because of a backwards step  for the app - it definitely used to work. 

Did you have "Download all notebooks" or "Download selected notebooks" configured in the "Offline Notebooks" setting like this?

image.png.e9a5fbe064b1ee2fa5f2263d12f75bac.png