Windows 7. Had the next-to-latest version of EN, took the option when prompted to update, but in the middle I clicked to open a note, which resulted in an error message. Couldn't open EN after that, so did Uninstall EN, reboot, download current EN (10.44.8)-- but running the setup file resulted in another error message, which is attached.

Evernote install error 9-11-22 - 2022-09-11_12-35-40.jpg

• Level 5

If you search the forum, you will see that this update is not running on Windows 7.

Get the prior version 10.43, for example from Filehippo.com. Or use the web client. Or return to legacy.

Apart from this, you should urgently leave the outdated, unsafe Windows 7 platform and install an OS, that is up to todays threats in cybersecurity.

Thanks for the help and advice. EN tech support so far says it's not supposed to be a problem with Windows 7 but I probably have a first-level tech messaging me so far. They're having it looked into. I sent log files. Meanwhile, they suggest I go to the legacy version, way back. I asked why they can't send me a link to get 10.43 off their server and I'm waiting to hear back. (As much as Windows 7 is a security concern -- there's nothing I can do until the next infusion of capital comes in to buy a computer that can properly run Windows 10 since it's pointless to lose weeks of time installing all my business stuff on a machine that's very old -- and as much as I appreciate the advice, I'm not going to be downloading free software from a third-party site like Filehippo.com and installing it. I have a serious business to run in spite of the limited cash for a new Windows 10 machine yet.)

• Level 5

It is known from several forum posts (just watch them yourself, not hard to find) that something happened with the release of EN Windows 10.44. EN 10.43 is reported to work.

With your description of your situation (thanks for elaborating), your best current option is probably to use the web client.

You could install legacy as well, but it will build its own database, consuming drive capacity. It will be counted as another device as well (relevant for Free users).

From what I have heard, there is hope that a next release (probably not the next one) will return the EN client to work with Win 7. But I could be wrong, take this with a grain of doubt.

Getting rid of Win 7 should be a top priority for you. It is easy to catch some ransomware these days. Antivirus and firewalls will not protect you on a Win 7 platform. At least get a small USB drive and use it to run a backup of your valuable business (and personal) data frequently.

• Evernote Expert

@AllAndNothing There is no means to download older versions of Evernote 10 other than file repositories such as FileHippo. I'd go with the web version until the issue is resolved.

If you're Free user then I'd suggest you unsync the app version before starting to use the web browser version to ensure you don't get locked using more than two devices.

• Level 5

Thanks again for all the help! I have a paid subscription. I don't use EN often enough for it to be needed in the near term, so I guess I'll wait to see what new releases do.

As to the Windows 7 vulnerability, I do periodic full system images to external drives, and will take the warnings to heart and do them more frequently. And work to get a boost of cash in here so I can get a new computer running Windows 10 already (and can free up the time to migrate everything to it).

Once a new release is shown to be working okay on Windows 7, so you think I have to do anything to surgically remove what's on the machine other than the standard uninstall process before installing it?

• Evernote Expert

I don't think that there is any promise that Win 7 will work on the future. Officially Evernote v10 is only supported on Win 10 and above.

But if it does start again then I think you may have to install manually since the program currently fails to start so no automatic updates.