Is official, Evernote no longer works under Windows 7

I have a couple of computers, one is Linux (Where EN works well, still waiting for more speed and response times), and the other is a Samsung Rf511 with Intel Pentium iCore7 and Windows 7 (an extremely fast version that runs smoothly with a good firewall and antivirus) and today, I was using my w7 laptop and all of a sudden got the Java error after updating to version "Evernote-10.44.8-win-ddl-ga-3632-36e33ef8ac-setup" downloaded first at "E:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\evernote-client-updater\pending" So, I won't deny I have to update my OS, but in the meanwhile. I let everybody know that version 10.42.7 still works on my Windows 7and will remain on it till I migrate to a more modern OS. (Pink Elephant, I listened, just give me some time bro or sis?)

image.thumb.png.86a9c62bc12cada4ec39b270097b02ae.png

07-09-2022 09-13-12 p.m..png

• Like 1
  • Tonymynd changed the title to Is official, Evernote no longer works under Windows 7

Thanks for the message. However, working at a tech company myself, I understand that, regardless of the continuous struggle to maintain systems up to date, it is impossible for any application developer/service provider to maintain focus on supporting a platform when the underlying infrastructure (e.g. hardware, OS, etc.) is no longer supported by the vendors. Windows 7 support ended 2.5 years ago: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7-895a-2c9c-1466d9a53962 

So please try to upgrade the OS; that is the only recommendation I can give you.  (or use web)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

To get an official comment from EN, ask support. We are just other users here.

Thanks for awareness, PinkElephant. Learning curve here. So this means, that using the word "Official" should be given to official staff? or this post should it be on different category? And also, how do I ask for support? (what are the appropriate channels?)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Forum member working for EN have a large STAFF title on their forum user badge. You can’t miss it -  but they are few, and they don’t post a lot.

Sometimes you will see a post from a staff user, and you can regard this as „official“.

There are several ways to contact support, before I explain and loose a lot of words you can use this link

About Win 7: Antivirus in todays environment is like using snake oil to polish your computer mouse, nothing more. Reason is that they watch for dangerous files and hash fingerprints - modern malware runs in the fluid RAM memory and modifies itself permanently, creating new hash values. Antivirus won’t find them. Or they install to the BIOS, starting before the antivirus will kick in.

A firewall only protects against incoming traffic - malware often enters by phishing, and then pulls the malware from a C&C-server through port 443, which the browser uses for encrypted web traffic. A firewall will not block it,  because you can’t use the internet when it is closed, and everything coming through is encrypted anyhow.

Win 7 is deprecated, which means it’s millions of lines of code will not receive any update when a breach is discovered. This alone renders all measures useless to protect or harden it. It is not up to the thread vectors of todays world - and that it may be running fine does not prove it is secure at all.

• Level 5
On 9/9/2022 at 10:48 AM, Doug Tucker said:

I don't have the option to upgrade the OS on this computer - how can I fall back to the latest release prior to 10.44.8 that still functions on Win7?

In case you're on a work computer running Windows 7, you might not want to have a local database of your notes there anyway, and be better off using the Web version. Log in at https://www.evernote.com/client/web.

On 9/10/2022 at 11:16 PM, nonobio said:

Hi,

Same problem for me, Evernote 10 doesn't work anymore since the last 10.44.8 update on my Windows 7 PC.

I reinstalled the prior version waiting I install, one day, Windows 10...

The prior version : Evernote 10.43.7 Windows (18 august 2022) : https://filehippo.com/fr/download_evernote/10.43.7/

Yes, I did the same.  Reinstalled the prior version of ENv10 from one of those sites (similar to filehippo) and now it works as it did.  I also find that I can use the web version and it works quite well.  I too am in the position of not being able to update win 7 at this time for various reasons.  I opened up a ticket with EN and they confirmed that this is a "known issue" and they are working to fix it.  However, I do not know how to check when and if they fix it.  Maybe if one of us discovers this they could post on this forum.  PinkElephant posted somewhere that since this is a java script issue it may not be that difficult for the company to fix it;  we can only hope.

• Evernote Expert

If a fix is provided then when a release is made it may be mentioned in the release notes. Otherwise you may just have to install the each update and see if it works. If it doesn't then roll back to the working copy you have at present.

• 3 weeks later...

As an update: I contacted EN again today about this issue.  The tech support chat confirmed that this issue has been fixed.  I downloaded the version that she suggested and it is working well without the javascript error.

To help resolve the issue, kindly download this latest Evernote version on you device: https://cdn1.evernote.com/boron/win/builds/Evernote-10.46.7-win-ddl-ga-3701-b2719bc136-setup.exe  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 10 months later...

Evernote team is so annoying! I still have Windows 7 on my computer, yes I know I should update it with a new version. But for now I will continue with Windows 7, using an "old" version of Evernote that is working perfectly. BUT, since now a few weeks, a window is appearing tell me not only that a new Evernote version is available, as it was the case previously (and I was not downloading it since it does NOT work with Windows 7), but FORCING ME to download it since the Evernote team removed the option of closing this **** window!! And without closing it, you actually CANNOT use Evernote that is properly open in the window behind.

Why?? Why the Evernote team would do this?

Anyway, does someone has a solution to close this windows containing the message that a new version is available, so that I can continue to use Evernote ?

Thanks in advance

Don’t blame Evernote on this one. Microsoft officially closed their support on windows 7 since January 14, 2020 which is over 3,5 years ago.

Although it is not great for people owning older computer and/or have no option to upgrade their operating system, is is impossible for application developers such as Evernote (but many more!) to keep their platform supported on platforms that are no longer supported by the vendors and maintaining the application innovative on newer versions of the operating systems. I believe Evernote have done a great job keeping it running for so long. 

I’m afraid you will need to check for ways to upgrade your OS or see to buy a newer system. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

All PCs operating Windows 7 can also operate Windows 10. System requirements are not greatly different.

Keep in mind that support for Windows 10 will soon be over as well. Windows 11 requires a relatively new hardware.

This means there are 2 upgrade options: The direct path to Windows 10, which is an intermediate solution without new hardware. Or the long term solution using Windows 11 on a new PC.

Or switch to a Mac - the new Macs are amazing and IMHO the better alternative for many users.

I can confirm that there is no way to use Evernote 10 on Win 7.  I experienced the same issue ie: you can no longer just refuse the upgrade and continue working on the version that always worked on win 7.  I had to purchase new win 10 machines because of this and immediately ran into problems with two legacy software programs that I had been using (Quickbooks and Acrobat) on all of them.  I was very fond of these older programs because they were not online subscriptions and did everything I needed.  Now that I have tried reloading them onto win 10 machines I am getting warning messages about "registration expiring in 10 days" etc.  Rather remarkable since I purchased these programs myself 10 years ago.  I also had a very old "popup" program on my win 7 machine which allowed all the staff in my office to communicate with each other on a simple popup window which  appears in the middle of their screens.  I now have to move to a new way of communication.  I would have stayed with Evernote Legacy to avoid all of this but I know that this too will be deprecated soon and I can't afford to have no EN whatsoever.

• Level 5

About the chat: You could are a look at running a Synology NAS for your office. They have a self hosted Chat software, with the server on the NAS and free clients for all platforms.

Using one just for the chat will be a little overkill. But it has many other use cases as well.

Actually, I stumbled onto something that also works well.   Google chat is a messaging service for teams and is built into Gmail.  Since we all use Gmail it turns out to be quite convenient.  Actually, in some ways it's winding up better eg: when someone sends a google chat message it pops up on my screen, alerts my Apple watch and dings on my iphone.  It's now harder for employees to claim that they "didn't see the message".

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Depends on the setup of the VM. A VM can be tightly encapsulated, or get pretty wide access to all resources of the computer.

The more access it gets, the closer it is to a directly installed OS. To better shield it, it should be embedded into a different OS, like a Linux or MacOS. Windows inside of Windows is probably the least secure way.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I'm on Win 7 too, and I have just opened the following topic before finding this one:

Can somebody tell me if yes or no there is an Evernote version that keeps on working on Win 7 as of today?

I have downloaded the 10.43.7 version that nonobio was talking about in this thread. But I don't know if I should install it or not. Is it a waste of time?

Thank you.

• Evernote Expert

Evernote does not, officially, run with Windows 7. The official announcement is that it should be Windows 10 or better. But 10.43.7 may work temporarily. It, too, is due to be withdrawn.