Stay with Plus plan or upgrade?? Legacy or v10??

I've been using Evernote for 13 years.  Mostly for household management (my second brain).  I've been grandfathered in to the 'Plus' plan and use the Legacy version which is pretty much what I learned on from the start.  When v10 came out I couldn't seem to get comfortable with the format and then since I wasn't upgrading my plan I could not customize it to my liking.  

Now I'm thinking I want to make EN a more central launchpad for all the things.  I can see how using the tasks feature would be so helpful.  Not to mention integrating my google calendar.  So, finally my questions...

If I upgrade my plan to the 'personal' plan do I have the option to still use the Legacy version of the software or does it automatically switch to the newer v10? 

is the upgrade in plan worth it?  I'm pretty sure if I upgrade I will not have the option to go back to the 'Plus' plan.  The value I see is the tasks and the calendar  all working together.  What have you all found value in on the 'Personal' plan over the 'Plus' plan?

I'd love to know resources you all have found online to learn more about using EN effectively.  

Thanks IA 😊

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. You're right that if you upgrade to Personal, there's no downgrade path back to Plus. AFAIK, there is no correlation between plan types and Evernote versions. But if you want tasks and the integration with Google calendar, I don't think they are possible in Legacy.

There is a bit of a learning curve going from Legacy to v. 10, but I didn't find it overly burdensome. What I did was use the v. 10 Web client (available on any plan) until I got a computer that v. 10 would run on, and I got accustomed to the interface that way. I've found it to be worth the effort in terms of things that work better (or at all) in v. 10 (even though I don't yet do much with tasks and calendar integration).

Ultimately only you can tell whether you'll find enough value in the Personal plan to justify the greater cost. But if you're wanting to make Evernote more central, you may find particular value in the ability to search attachments, access note history, and use the Home page (in v. 10, if you go that way) as a central base.

• Like 2

I upgraded from Plus to Personal in September last year and I haven't regretted it. Note though, that I liked the new v10 version and it worked well for me (on Windows, MacOS, iPhone and iPad).

Here are reasons from my own personal notes that I upgraded from Plus to Personal: (Some of these won't apply to you if you stick with Legacy versions of the software)

• ++ Get 200 MB note size (vs current 50)
    • I've never even hit the 50 limit though -- but I might start getting there. I wanted to put a large PDF in there one time and couldn't
  • ++ 10 GB limit
    • I've never even hit the 1 GB limit though
  • ++ Tasks (don't really need though -- I've got Things. Might be nice to have them in there and not use Things though...? I've already paid for Things though so meh.)
    • Your tasks would now be cross-platform. You could access them on PC. That could be nice.
    • You might get your money's worth out of it by being more productive. (But mostly you just need to concentrate to do that.)
    • You could/would still using Things for quick tasks because getting into Evernote
    • 9/3 - it's ok -- upgrade to +++
  • ++ Search text in PDFs (not sure I really need that)
  • + Annotate PDFs (have had no need yet)
  • ++ Customize Home widget (might be nice, but meh)
    • 9/3 - whatever. it's not that great for Personal.
  • Connect to one google calendar (meh - I don't think I would do this)
  • +++++ Note history (this one would be nice in case you accidentally messed up a note)
    • For now, you can just use the legacy product - remember to open it periodically and it will keep a copy of your notes
      • except this isn't that great of a work-around because you are only going to do this every so often...
    • 9/3 - yeah - this one is cool
I've since also found that being able to search text in images (and have that text highlighted) is super helpful as well -- a feature also not available in Plus.

Basically, I was ready to double-down on my usage of Evernote. I use it most days all the time so I figured it was definitely worth 20 cents a day for that.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your thoughtful responses.  All of that makes good sense.  

This " I was ready to double-down on my usage of Evernote. I use it most days all the time so I figured it was definitely worth 20 cents a day for that." is pretty much where I am and really hit home for making the decision.  I think I will be upgrading.  I really want a launching pad open on my laptop at all times that I can set up to work most effectively for what I have going on.  It sounds like the v10 will allow me to create that along with integrating my google calendar and then utilizing tasks.  I don't know what 'think' is so a working task tool would be really nice.  A bonus I hadn't thought about was the note history and searching text in images - that would be awesome.  

Thanks again!

• Level 5*

Belated Hi from me - I'm a late conversion to v10;  I actually got into it 'properly' a few months ago,  and now I use it daily for.. well,  everything.  I built a 'system' around my own particular (and fairly diverse) needs which involve photography,  mapping,  books and tech (amongst other things) - mainly by trying things out and being flexible enough to try Plan B if Plan A didn't work out.  I still drop back to Legacy for a few things,  but that's maybe a once a day use.

As to online resources,  there's a ton of information in YouTube with various presenters including Steve Dotto and Stacey Harmon who both have a ton of stuff online.  Stacey's https://www.harmonenterprises.com/evernote-v10 might be a good start.

(Word to the wise - don't get sidetracked in YouTube;  I've lost many hours of my life to shiny-looking presentations!)

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, karmalg said:

I really want a launching pad open on my laptop at all times that I can set up to work most effectively for what I have going on.

The v. 10 Home page has a number of widgets that you can add and customize in various ways to make it work for you as a launching pad. Definitely worth the time to explore and work on.

• Evernote Expert

If agree that your best route would be to switch to version 10 - either web or desktop app - and see how that works for you. Your additional options will be limited but you'll get a feel for what it will feel like before surrendering your deal on the Plus plan.

You can operate Legacy and v10 alongside one another although my experience is that taking the pain and learning how to do things in v10 without going back to Legacy is the best route.

In addition to tasks and calendar links, you get the Home dashboard and widgets as well as import folders (originally only in Windows legacy). 

I use tasks all the time. I have learned to start from the note and as tasks to the note rather than just creating a linear list of tasks. Similarly start with a note and context and link to the calendar event. The various dashboard widgets give additional ways of accessing and viewing notes.

" I have learned to start from the note and as tasks to the note rather than just creating a linear list of tasks. Similarly start with a note and context and link to the calendar event. "

Great tip!  That way the task is always tied to a note that most likely has other pertinent information.  I have taken some time today to play around with v10 and can see how it could really work for what I'm looking for.  

Gazumped-I know exactly what you mean about getting side-tracked on youtube-😜 I did find Stacy Harmon's channel which is very helpful.  I'll have to limit  my time spent there! 

I don't use the app on my phone(Android) a lot but have noticed it can either be working fine or really be awful.  Too bad there is not a previous version of the app to keep on one's phone.  

• Like 2